PDA

View Full Version : Tough Session Starting Out At $3/6

herk
04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Been content at $2/4 for several months, consistently beating the game for a meager 2.3 BB/100 and building a 420 BB bankroll for $3/6, so I've decided to start working towards the new limit. I violated two of my own rules during the switch, I jumped into it immediately (started playing $3/6 exclusively), and I started multi-tabling immediately. (normally try to just mix one table into my normal routine)

Two massive losing sessions in the second day for a total of -90BB over just two hours. Sounds a little too big for variance, so I was looking for advice on some of the hands that cost me the most. In some cases I'm convincing myself that this is the same way I'd normally play these hands, but I must confess to being very hot under the collar during some of these.

Hand #1:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Th, Td.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, 3 folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 9s, Qs, 5s (3 players)
BB bets, UTG+2 calls, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 3c (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (9.16 BB) Js (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB

Results below:
BB has 9d Jc (two pair, jacks and nines).
UTG+2 has Qd 2d (one pair, queens).
Hero has Th Td (one pair, tens).
Outcome: BB wins 9.16 BB.

Both players are 50% VPIP and very passive, had they been check calling I could see rightfully having faith in my hand, but does the bet out warrent a quick fold?

Hand #2:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Ks, Kh.
2 folds, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, 4 folds, Hero 3-bets, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 9d, Ac, 4d (3 players)
Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (5.66 BB) Tc (2 players)
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls.

River: (9.66 BB) 3s (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

Results below:
Hero has Ks Kh (one pair, kings).
MP1 has As Qc (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP1 wins 11.66 BB.

Looking back it's pretty clear with the turn raise that I'm behind. Fold after the turn raise and save the 2 big bets? MP1 is a solid player.

Hand #3:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Ts, Th.
UTG raises, 3 folds, MP3 3-bets, 3 folds, Hero caps, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) 3h, 9h, 4c (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG calls, MP3 raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG folds, MP3 caps, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.66 BB) 5s (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

River: (12.66 BB) Qh (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.66 BB

Results below:
Hero has Ts Th (one pair, tens).
MP3 has 9s 9c (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: MP3 wins 14.66 BB.

I was feeling kinda guilty about the preflop cap, if I'd known it was nines at the time... MP3 is loose passive, so once again I fear I overplayed the tens and should have let go when he capped the flop.

Looking back at all three I'm feeling like I should have dumped long before showdown. Feedback welcome.

New001
04-27-2005, 09:47 PM
In the first hand, there wasn't just a bet, but a caller too. I'd probably drop the hand on the flop, although they could just both be on draws. Either way, I don't really like my hand.

In hand #2, either fold to the raise on the turn or fold UI on the river. I just recently moved to 3/6 as well, and unless they're terrible players, turn raises or check/raises often mean top pair or better. That's obviously not always true, but you have to lay that hand down unless you think he's a barnacle.

I'd probably play hand #3 just like you did, although he really is saying he's got a set or an overpair. Check/folding the turn is probably correct, but I still usually call down here.

Jules22
04-27-2005, 10:18 PM
i fold hand 2 the instant he raises me on the turn. i forgot the other two but man thats a poor call vs anyone but a complete maniac donkey. the flush comes in and theres still an ace, what hand are you possibly beating

Harv72b
04-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Hand 1: It's already been said. Monotone flop, overcard, and Passive Pete bets out? Since you don't have the T:spades: that makes it an easy fold; with the T:spades: it would be a slightly more difficult fold.

Hand 2: Fold to the turn raise. If he was just betting the scare card he would have done it on the flop; he's got what he's representing far more often than not. The fact that he's a solid player makes it even easier.

Hand 3: Out of position with TT, I would've called the 3 (2 really) and not capped preflop. Nobody is going to fold their hand at this point and you are often going to be behind at least one overpair. Given the fact that MP3 3-bet preflop, I would have called the flop raise rather than 3-bet, although I can see the merits of 3-betting because you want UTG (probably overcards) out of the hand.

From there it becomes a question of whether to c/r the turn (and fold to a 3-bet), or call down (again, this is assuming I called the flop raise). I would've had a very difficult time folding this hand, even given your passive read on villian.

3/6 can be a bit of a culture shock when you first move into it, because the play is a lot more aggressive than you see on 2/4 or lower. There are also more tight players on average. You've more than got the bankroll to handle the limit, and from this post alone it shows that you've got the willingness & desire to learn, so I stay stick it out for a little while longer at least (as long as your psyche is doing okay). As I'm sure you know, 100 BB downswings are not at all uncommon. 3/6 is definitely more difficult than 2/4, but it is very beatable.