PDA

View Full Version : Investing

joesbarngrill
04-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Surprised this isint a repost. Were the forums cleared? I am new to investing and have about 10k disposable would anyone suggest any reading material to get started? Thanks to anyone who answers. =D Sorry again I am sure im reposting but i cant find ANYTHING it appears forums have been erased.

edtost
04-28-2005, 12:36 AM
a random walk down wall street - burton malkiel
intelligent investor - benjamin graham

those will cover the two most widely believed theories about the stock market.

Ray Zee
04-28-2005, 03:18 AM
before you put a nickel anywhere other than a moneymarket fund go to the library and read everything. a little knowledge can be worse than none. and few if any books will enable you to beat the averages in any investment.

RunDownHouse
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and few if any books will enable you to beat the averages in any investment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is why you should find an index fund, stick it there, and forget about it for a decade or two.

KKrAAAzy88s
04-28-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is why you should find an index fund, stick it there, and forget about it for a decade or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do i "stick it in there"? haha.. Say I have an ameritrade account, can I buy a Vanguard fund within my Ameritrade acocunt like stocks? Or do I need to call up Vanguard and open up an account with them? Are there minimum $ requirements?

icetonez
04-28-2005, 02:59 PM
You can buy Vanguard from Ameritrade. It varies from fund to fund, but I think most Vanguard funds have a minimum initial investment of $3000 or $1000 for an IRA.

joesbarngrill
04-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your comments. Anyone have anything to add before this thread dies?

gvibes
04-30-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your comments. Anyone have anything to add before this thread dies?

[/ QUOTE ]

index funds = good
random walk down wall street = good
vanguard = good
www.diehards.org (http://www.diehards.org) = good

That is all.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you don't have the time or willingness to learn about investing do dump in an index.

if you beleive the market is a great place to invest, there is nothing wrong with this option.

holla

p.s. www.younginvestors.net (http://www.younginvestors.net) i hear they have a decent board up