PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way of getting to NYC from PA?

jedi
04-27-2005, 07:48 PM
I'll be in Pennsylvania next week and will need to travel to New York City. I'll have a car, but I think it'd be murder to try to drive there. I'm staying in King of Prussia, PA, and would like to take a train back to NYC.

Can anyone living there help me figure out what the best way is? I looked at some rail schedules and I figure the best way was to take the R5 regional rail from the Devon station and go to 30th street station before transferring to Amtrack to go to NYC. Opinions?

Due Schpague
04-27-2005, 07:50 PM
USE THE FORCE!

handsome
04-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Mapquest.com

moondogg
04-27-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone living there help me figure out what the best way is? I looked at some rail schedules and I figure the best way was to take the R5 regional rail from the Devon station and go to 30th street station before transferring to Amtrack to go to NYC. Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on where you are in KoP, it may be easier/faster to take the R6 or 100 out of Norristown (instead of the R5).

If you are driving, I'd say that the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike.

Let me know if you need any more info about the area, I work in KoP.

CheckFold
04-27-2005, 07:56 PM
drive is not murder. Train will take forever when you consider time to wait for the train and transport yourself to and from the stations to your actual destination. Just make the drive and pay for parking. Take 76E to 295N to 73E to the turnpike and make your way to NYC.

a500lbgorilla
04-27-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
USE THE FORCE!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit. I laughed.

masse75
04-27-2005, 08:43 PM
amish buggy.

DemonDeac
04-27-2005, 08:52 PM
HELL YEA K O P!! represent
THATS WHERE IM FROM

as for ur problem....i have no idea. i would take the PA and NJ turnpike and then the bridge into NYC.

istewart
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I usually get off at Newark, but it continues going to Penn Station (NYC, not Newark, lol) anyway. It's like the Amtrak Keystone Regional that leaves 30th Street Station quite frequently each day, IIRC. It should be around $70-80, around an hour and fifteen minutes.

Homer
04-27-2005, 09:06 PM
It's not a bad drive at all. Take PA pike to NJ pike. From there, there are a variety of options depending on where in the city you're going and time of day.

jedi
04-28-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a bad drive at all. Take PA pike to NJ pike. From there, there are a variety of options depending on where in the city you're going and time of day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so I guess driving IN Manhattan is pretty bad from what I remember, but getting there should be okay. Any suggestions on where to park? I'd like it to be near a subway line so that once I park, I can get to where I want to go. I'll be leaving Philly aronud 8AM on a Thursday morning.

Bluffoon
04-28-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so I guess driving IN Manhattan is pretty bad from what I remember, but getting there should be okay. Any suggestions on where to park? I'd like it to be near a subway line so that once I park, I can get to where I want to go. I'll be leaving Philly aronud 8AM on a Thursday morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I depends on where you are going in the city. If you need flexibility then I suggest parking near penn station in the 30's between 7th and 8th avenue. It won't be cheap but you will have access to almost every major subway line from penn station. If cost is an issue you can park on the west side near columbus circle in the high 50's low 60's. The columbus circle subway station is just minutes north of port authority, which has a shuttle (train) to the east side subway lines (grand central station) and penn station.

jedi
04-28-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I depends on where you are going in the city. If you need flexibility then I suggest parking near penn station in the 30's between 7th and 8th avenue. It won't be cheap but you will have access to almost every major subway line from penn station. If cost is an issue you can park on the west side near columbus circle in the high 50's low 60's. The columbus circle subway station is just minutes north of port authority, which has a shuttle (train) to the east side subway lines (grand central station) and penn station.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of price range am I looking at for parking here? I think it's probably going to be better than 2 round trip amtrak tickets.

Bluffoon
04-28-2005, 08:55 PM
You can park on the west side for as little as $15. Around penn station is much higher. I never park over there so I am not sure. I will take a look when I go into the city tomorrow.

mason55
04-28-2005, 09:15 PM
the only correct answer is the Chinatown bus.

sam h
04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only correct answer is the Chinatown bus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffoon
04-29-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of price range am I looking at for parking here? I think it's probably going to be better than 2 round trip amtrak tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you can park west of penn station in the mid thirties for less than $30 for ten hours.

dabluebery
04-29-2005, 09:38 AM
From where he is, it's not necessary to take Amtrak. You can take a SEPTA train into a station that will have NJ Transit, which will go right into Penn Station. Half as expensive, one more connection. Was always worth it for me.

It sounds like he's gonna drive, though. I saw someone say something about a bridge.... if he's going to Manhattan, obviously there's no bridge that's a good idea, all tunnels. But Mapquest will tell him that.

LALDAAS
04-29-2005, 09:59 AM
If your willing to change sevral trains and waste 5 hours of your life, Drive.

hicherbie
04-29-2005, 10:01 AM
take NJ transit.