PDA

View Full Version : top pair jack kicker with paired board

jb9
04-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm another 6-max newbie who is use to playing 2/4 and 3/6. 6 max is definitely fun, but I can see it will take me a while to get use to the aggression and the swings.

Button was very loose and somewhat aggressive. MP was loose passive.

I don't know if raising preflop was a good idea or not, but it seemed like fun at the time. I was pretty unsure of what to do when the 2nd queen showed up.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

River: (12 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Girchuck
04-27-2005, 08:27 PM
This raise is great only if you have position. In SB, your positional disadvantage is so great, that this hand becomes too weak to put more bets in. Also, you don't mind if BB sees the flop for free because there are plenty of players already, and you'd like to flop a strong hand.
Flop is great for you. You'd really like everybody to fold here and give you the pot. How can you accomplish this? Usually, you just check, and raise the LAG button to clear the field. But unfortunately you've raised preflop. Since your button is only somewhat aggressive, you are not sure at all that he will cooperate by betting after you check. Checking after raising preflop is suspicious. You cannot give the free card. So your options are limited.

Turn is very bad. You cannot afford to give free card because of the diamond draw, and its not likely anyone with a worse hand will bet. So you bet, dreading a raise.
The rest is just as inevitable. Aggressive button raises, and you cannot afford to lay it down. Who knows, the button might be misplaying a K.
The only good thing about your preflop raise is that maybe the BB had a Q.

PokerDonkey
04-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Considering the player on the button, I would most likely complete the bet because of your position. On the flop, I think that you have to C/R to isolate your LAG. You earn a half bet if you win, and you take the lead from him. If he is a real LAG then there is a shot where he could re-raise you. I'd still lead on the turn, and it would be a discretion play if he raises me. The queen can be scary, but I think you have to give credit where credit is due. My personal play is to C/C. I think the ability to use this hand to your advantage in future hands (if you win or lose) is the real key.