PDA

View Full Version : And now a word about Freud

andyfox
11-15-2002, 01:38 AM
LUNATIC!

Maybe this should be on the psychology forum, but that's supposed to be poker-related psychology.

I've just started reading Freud's writings, and writings about Freud over the past few weeks. Seems to me Freud was a liar and his whole reputation and, by implication, the entire edifice of psychoanalysis, was built on, well, a house of cards (so maybe I could have put it on the pscychology forum after all).

A brief example from Freud's "Dora: An Analysis of a Case of Hysteria:

"Dora told me of an earlier episode with Herr K. . .She was fourteen years old at the time. Herr K had made an arrangement with her and his wife that they should meet him one afternoon at his place of business. . .so as to have a view of a church festival. He persuaded his wife, however, to stay at home, and sent away his clerks, so that he was alone when the girl arrived. When the time for the procession approached, he asked the girl to wait for him at the door which opened upon the outside shutters. He then came back, and, instead of going out by the open door, suddenly clasped the girl to him and pressed a kiss upon her lips. This was surely just the situation to call up a distinct feeling of sexual excitement in a girl of fourteen who had never before been approached. But Dora had at that moment a violent feeling of disgust, tore herself free from the man, and hurried past him to the staircase and from there to the street door. For some time afterwrards. . .she avoided being alone with Herr K. The K.'s had just made plans for an expedition which was to last for some days and on which Dora was to have accompanied them. After the scene of the kiss she refused to join the party, without giving any reason.

"In this scene. . . the behaviour of this child of fourteen was already entirely and completely hysterical. I should without question consider a person hysterical in whom an occasion for sexual excitement elicited feelings that were prepronderantly or exclusively unpleasureable"

HUH? Seems to me Freud is the one in need of professional help, not to mention Herr K. Dora seems the only sane one in the bunch, hysterical thing that she was, running away from an older man who lured her under false pretenses to his place of business intending to seduce her.

The more I read, the uglier it gets.

So, Freudians, am I wrong?

brad
11-15-2002, 01:57 AM
first skip all his early stuff.

first book i would read is civilization and its discontents.

its online somewhere if you dont mind reading on monitor or printing it out.

also its only like 100 pages.

andyfox
11-15-2002, 02:18 AM
Maybe that's my problem: i've only read the early stuff so far: Studies on Hysteria; Psycopathology of Everday Life; The Interpretation of Dreams (particularly illogical); and Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality (particularly unbelievable).

I was trying to read somewhat chronilogically, so I going to read Totem and Taboo next.

I also read "Remembering Anna O." by Mikkel Borch-Jacobsen. Seems the original case showing the success of the psychoanalytic technique was a hoax.

Clarkmeister
11-15-2002, 02:46 AM
Andy,

Clearly your problem is that you want to have sex with your mother.

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

scalf
11-15-2002, 10:25 AM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif just take some cocaine, and you'll understand freud better...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

andyfox
11-15-2002, 01:32 PM
To quote Robert DeNiro in Analyze This: "Yecch! You ever seen my mother?"

andyfox
11-15-2002, 01:33 PM
I thought it was heroin. . .

Busta Nut
11-15-2002, 10:13 PM
nope, definitely coke
coke and sex are like milk and cookies or cigarettes and alcohol