PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Dog Breed

davelin
04-27-2005, 05:58 PM
My wife and I are looking for a good dog breed that fits our lifestyle. We both work, have no kids, and live in our own condo in the city. So we're looking for a dog that doesn't require a ton of space for exercise. We would also be first-time dog owners. My other requirement is no girly-dogs so no pugs, poodles, bischon frises, etc.

Our ideal would be an English bulldog since they are have low exercise requirements and make great companions. However pups from a breeder range from $1000-$1500.

Anyone with dogs have any suggestions?

Non_Comformist
04-27-2005, 05:59 PM
A Lab if it wouldn't be too big.

swede123
04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Did you read his post? He wants a dog that doesn't require a ton of exercise, pretty much the opposite of a Lab.

Look at a Basset Hound. They are pretty cool, not too feminine, and they have no problems with chilling out for days on end. They aren't too bright, which is probably a good thing if you just want a companion dog, as they won't be challenging your dominance etc.

Cheers,

Swede

Eurotrash
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My other requirement is no girly-dogs so no pugs, poodles, bischon frises, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're selling the poodle a bit short. granted, in its show cuts it looks rather ghey, but when it has a normal coat, a standard poodle is a pretty cool looking and very nice dog.

my two cents.

Dr. Strangelove
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
If you subject a dog to this lifestyle--being alone a lot, not getting much exercise--you are a tool in my book.

The Goober
04-27-2005, 06:06 PM
I recommend a welsh corgi. They are very smart, personable, and virtually never bark. They need excersize like any dog, but I don't think they need an inordinate amount. As for cost, I think a show-quality one would be pricey, but in the corgi world occasionally a generic anomaly pops up called a "fluff" (or longhaired, according to some). Fluffs are not showable, so you can get one with good breeding for cheap - the only difference is a longer coat and possibly floppy ears.

My folks went through a serious of bad dog experiences until my mom did some research and decided to get a corgi. Its was by far the best dog they had, and they now have a second one.

M2d
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
seconded

davelin
04-27-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you subject a dog to this lifestyle--being alone a lot, not getting much exercise--you are a tool in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about your book. Just being realistic and finding a dog breed that fits us. I know we're not the only couple in the world that works and doesn't have a big backyard. I never said I'm going to neglect the dog, I just don't have a backyard that a dog can run around in.

davelin
04-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I'll look into the Corgi.

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 06:09 PM
get a cat.

davelin
04-27-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
get a cat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate them

Argus
04-27-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My other requirement is no girly-dogs so no pugs, poodles, bischon frises, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're selling the poodle a bit short. granted, in its show cuts it looks rather ghey, but when it has a normal coat, a standard poodle is a pretty cool looking and very nice dog.

my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true. Standard poodles are wonderful dogs, and pretty sedate, but still wouldn't be appropriate for condo life I don't think. A smaller poodle might be, but those are obnoxious.

I recommend a daschund (sp?). They're small dogs, calm, cute, and seem to be popular in urban centers from my experience.

Also, if you aren't willing to shell out $1000-1500 to a breeder for a dog you should perhaps reconsider. That's a reasonable price for one, and the ongoing expenses are going to be significantly higher over its lifetime anyway.

RunDownHouse
04-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Ugh, cats are infinitely "more feminine" than the tiniest yappy dogs.

How much exercise do you think the dog will be getting? For instance, there's a big difference between taking it out once in the morning and once at night for a quick poop, and taking it running 3 miles with you in the morning and doing a brisk walk with the wife at night.

Drunk Bob
04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I've had pure-breds and mutts.

Mutts are better,check out the pound please.

Dr. Strangelove
04-27-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Klepton
i recommend a welsh corgi, they're cute, very easy to train, not sure about the exercise though.

plus being on cowboy bebop = awesome

http://rfblues.aaanime.net/Characters/Ein2.gif

jaym
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

RunDownHouse
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Elaborate, please. I'm also considering a dawg and would love an excuse not to shell out $500 for one.

M2d
04-27-2005, 06:17 PM
seriously. don't get a dog. get a goldfish or something. dogs need space. they need the outdoors. dogs that are confined to condos without much access to regular outside excercise are basically status symbols. if you love dogs, you wouldn't subject it to this. if you don't love dogs, but want the status of having a dog without being able to provide it with its basic needs, then you are a tool.

davelin
04-27-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much exercise do you think the dog will be getting? For instance, there's a big difference between taking it out once in the morning and once at night for a quick poop, and taking it running 3 miles with you in the morning and doing a brisk walk with the wife at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere in the middle. The biggest consideration is the space issue, I know some dogs just need the space and get restless, yappy, etc. when they can't run around. We have a decent-sized place but it's no house in the 'burbs.

I'm thinking at least two walks a day, more on the weekends and when the weather is nice.

Dr. Strangelove
04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Pure breds often have genetic defects, because of what amounts to inbreeding. Mutts' don't.

davelin
04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously. don't get a dog. get a goldfish or something. dogs need space. they need the outdoors. dogs that are confined to condos without much access to regular outside excercise are basically status symbols. if you love dogs, you wouldn't subject it to this. if you don't love dogs, but want the status of having a dog without being able to provide it with its basic needs, then you are a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about not providing it with basic needs? Can someone who lives in a condo/apartment not provide a dog with basic needs? Again, I'm asking which type of dog would be suitable for a city environment.

bogey
04-27-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your way overreacting

Entity
04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't know where you live, but whereever it is, investigate local Dog Parks (some places call them Dog Runs). They're great for the dogs.

I have a Belgian Shepherd/Border collie mix, but we live in a house. He's a 100% indoor dog, but we do make sure he gets plenty of exercise.

Rob

RunDownHouse
04-27-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pure breds often have genetic defects, because of what amounts to inbreeding. Mutts' don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Properly bred purebreds shouldn't have those problems (or have them as often), and you can get the papers or info or whatever from a reputable breeder. But what they do have - thanks to inbreeding - is certain favorable characteristics, such as intelligence.

NorCalJosh
04-27-2005, 06:46 PM
a lot of mutts are also a lot less tempermental.

when you go ahead and factor in the cost, and then look at t he fact that your local pound puts 500-1000 dogs to sleep every month, there should be absolutely no reason for anyone to ever go to a breeder. if you love dogs, you should consider keeping one from getting killed, not overpaying for a couple pieces of paper that say your dogs parents are brother and sister.

Crveballin
04-27-2005, 06:57 PM
http://secure.terrificpets.com/images/uploads/51372005102220424.jpg

maldini
04-27-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true. i always pick pure breds. that way, you can pick one that fits your temperment requirements and lifestyle. if the breeder is large, you can often get pretty specific regarding barking, aggressivness, intelligence, etc of each line they have. most arent this big though.

i vote a small, yappy dog. a bassett is too big IMO. you need a dog under 20#. only a dog that can get tired running around a couch is appropriate for a condo. you never take a dog out as much as you intend to.

and say goodbye to your DINK lifestyle. get used to rushing home after work to let the dog out. no more str8 to happy hour or dinner after work. no more spontaneous trips to the beach or new orleans or whatever.

and you should never EVER pay more than $500 for a dog. you can get a pure bred w/o having to shell out show dog type prices. anyone that plays $1k plus is vain or not knowledgable IMO.

GrunchCan
04-27-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Not all dogs are the same. Some require a great deal of excercise and space, and are in fact completele unsuitable for apartment life. Greyhounds, pointers, setters, many hounds, and many other breeds are examples of dogs not suited to city/apartment life. In fact there are breeds that will literally go insane if they live in a small space. But to say that all dogs are unsuited for apartment life is simply wrong. There are many breeds that live very happily in a small space, and in fact prefer to not go outside much at all.

My sister is a vet tech at an animal hospital in Chicago. When a puppy recued from owners who were abusive through neglegt was recovered and needed to be adopted, my sister recommended me & my wife to adopt her. The vets reviewed our living conditions and interviewed us before considering adoption. It wasn't even our idea in the first place. It was, in fact, the vets who had to convince us to adopt the dog. Not becasue there were no other potential parents, but becasue the vets felt the dog's quality of life would be best in our care.

At the time, we lived in a 550-sq ft condo in Chicago's west loop area. We had no yard, no fenced in area where the dog could run, and no immediate plans to move. Anyone who lives in the area can attest that there is precoius little green space. The vets decided that this environment was best for the dog.

Now, to be sure, having a dog is a much bigger responsibility than most people realize. They need excercise, attention, love and play. They need other dogs to play with in many cases. We were fortunate to have a car, and were able to drive to a big dog park in the nearby west suburbs (only a 10 minute drive) several times per week, where Kita could run until she was ready to drop.

Our dog is a miniature American Eskimo. This breed is not a high-excercise breed, but it is also not a sedentary one either. She does need excercise. But we make adjustments in our lives to make sure Kita is happy & healthy. For example, even as I write this, Kita is having an all-day play date at Dog's Day Inn (http://www.dogsdayinn.net/). She loves it there, and when she comes home she is tuckered out and sleeps for a day.

I'd have more to say, but I want to go get my dog.

GrunchCan
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and say goodbye to your DINK lifestyle. get used to rushing home after work to let the dog out. no more str8 to happy hour or dinner after work. no more spontaneous trips to the beach or new orleans or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so very true. I thought I knew it when we got Kita, but I didn't. I used to get a beer until 7:00 on Fridays with the gang after work. Not anymore.

I'm not complaining (usually). But it is important to realize that having a dog is a big responsibility.

adamstewart
04-27-2005, 07:15 PM
English Stafordshire Bull Terrier

Some pics of our own found here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1629816&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1)

Google for more info...

Adam

purnell
04-27-2005, 07:20 PM
It's always a risk, but mixed breed dogs generally have good temperaments, and you can get a good idea of a dog's exercise requirements from it's physique. I'm a bleeding heart I suppose, but I suggest your local SPCA. You can always "trade it in" if it turns out to be a horrible pet.

thewarden
04-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Who said a pugs are a girly-breed? I've got a black pug named Rufus and that little dude kicks butt. Pugs are awesome apartment dogs, too.

peachy
04-27-2005, 08:20 PM
MINI PIN!!! or a big one!! i luv them and pits i have a pit right now but have always had a dober

mostsmooth
04-27-2005, 08:21 PM
english bulldog
theres no other choice
if you find a quality pup for 1000-1500, let me know where
warning, vet bills can start to get pricey over the life of the bulldog.
btw, pugs arent girly dogs!! id like a pug as a companion dog to my bully, thats if i cant find a nice bully pup

pshreck
04-27-2005, 08:25 PM
http://img163.echo.cx/img163/4083/16e40ug.jpg

pudley4
04-27-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I are looking for a good dog breed that fits our lifestyle. We both work, have no kids, and live in our own condo in the city. So we're looking for a dog that doesn't require a ton of space for exercise. We would also be first-time dog owners. My other requirement is no girly-dogs so no pugs, poodles, bischon frises, etc.

Our ideal would be an English bulldog since they are have low exercise requirements and make great companions. However pups from a breeder range from $1000-$1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greyhound. They're the world's biggest lap dogs. They sleep like 18 hours a day, and a couple of walks a day is perfect for them. Plus they look fkn cool. End of thread.

Richie Rich
04-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Great lap dogs, extremely friendly, perfect size for a condo (the size of a cocker spaniel), little exercise is necessary, and they generally have long lifespans. They are somewhat expensive, however, usually ranging from $1200 to $1500 for a purebred.

If you're worried about the money aspect of it all, then why don't you go to a nearby animal shelter to find a dog that suits you and your woman? Not only would you be saving another life, but you should get some satisfaction out of knowing that you've made this world a little better. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mostsmooth
04-27-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Properly bred purebreds shouldn't have those problems (or have them as often), and you can get the papers or info or whatever from a reputable breeder. But what they do have - thanks to inbreeding - is certain favorable characteristics, such as intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is basically opposite of what ive learned abouts dogs

bugstud
04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who said a pugs are a girly-breed? I've got a black pug named Rufus and that little dude kicks butt. Pugs are awesome apartment dogs, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded

Non_Comformist
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you read his post? He wants a dog that doesn't require a ton of exercise, pretty much the opposite of a Lab.

Look at a Basset Hound. They are pretty cool, not too feminine, and they have no problems with chilling out for days on end. They aren't too bright, which is probably a good thing if you just want a companion dog, as they won't be challenging your dominance etc.

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless the answer is always Lab. All dogs need exercise. It is called taking them for a walk twice a day.

Blarg
04-27-2005, 09:08 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Labs are very active dogs, and some people have noticed that once in a while you even get an insanely active one, like one of the ones we had, who would literally jump into the air for hours on end for no reason.

I say this as someone whose parents owned a kennel, pet shop, and quarantine for years -- labs need activiity. It's definitely nowhere near the same for all dogs. Just because you like labs or something, don't think you're doing the dogs or the owners any favors by always recommending the same breed. It's actually a dumb thing to do.

Bluffoon
04-27-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of rude but he is right. Dogs are very social animals and belong in a pack. For them to be alone for long periods of time is unnatural for them and torture. Get a cat.

Bluffoon
04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about not providing it with basic needs? Can someone who lives in a condo/apartment not provide a dog with basic needs? Again, I'm asking which type of dog would be suitable for a city environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did. Leaving a dog alone all day and not providing it with regular exercise is not providing basic needs. You might as well just starve it.

Please dont get a dog. You have no clue and are not prepared for the expense.

Lazymeatball
04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Clearly this is the dog for you
http://www.takingthelead.co.uk/images/Breeds/Tosa.jpg

I'll let others elaborate.

mostsmooth
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You did. Leaving a dog alone all day and not providing it with regular exercise is not providing basic needs. You might as well just starve it.

[/ QUOTE ]
my dog is alone for about 5 -6 hours a day. im pretty sure he sleeps the whole time.

kdog
04-27-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I'll look into the Corgi

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a good suggestion. Corgis are herding dogs who love to be outside and active. They have a double layer coat which allows them to stay outside for long periods in cold weather and not get wet to the skin in all but the worst rain but it also means they shed big time twice a year. Especially fluffs(non show quality due to their coat).

I have had two of them myself and been around them since I was kid.My father was a breeder/professional handler of show dogs speciallizing in corgis. They are a great dog but not to be left alone all day with no exercise.

Jeff W
04-27-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
get a cat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate them

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a newt.

kdog
04-27-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly this is the dog for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one of the dogs in this picture do you mean Meatball?

turnipmonster
04-27-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm thinking of getting a wheaton terrier, anyone know anything about these? I'm in a similar situation wrt living, but it would get all the exercise it wanted.

fingokra
04-27-2005, 10:49 PM
I will agree with that suggestion. Not nec. on that type of terrier but some type of terrier in general. How about a Scotty?

Also can't go wrong with the pound mutt. Just good karma, suggested name for pound mutt "Lucky"

mlb3zr
04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
I can't recommend a specific breed as I grew up with a Samoyed (really great, but they need lots of running around). I'm all for the SPCA route, but if you want to learn more about different breeds, you can try www.akc.org. (http://www.akc.org.) It's the American Kennel Club's website, and you can search different groups of dogs (terriers, sporting, etc.) for general characteristics, or look at individual breeds for more specifics. However, they do have a lot of random stuff about what a Dalmatian's feet should look like and whatnot, so be prepared to sift through that.

davelin
04-27-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever dude. I asked many people I know and they didn't up and quit their jobs in order to watch them all day, nor did they buy a house in the 'burbs in order that they could have a ton of space for exercise.

I never said anything about me or my wife not going home during the day if we need to, or getting a service, or working something out with a neighbor or other family members, etc. I just said we're both working people and live in a condo so we need an appropriate dog, that's all. As Grunch and others have said, some different (gasp!) breeds of dogs just love to sit around and sleep all day. Could be a worse life.

Non_Comformist
04-27-2005, 11:17 PM
hmmm, I have two, I play with them once in the morning and once at night the rest of the time they sit inside with me with no problems other than chewing which toys fix.

My parents have one as well and none of us have experienced any jumping around. Basically I have found that they need as much exercise and attention as any other dog.

also Labs rule all.

lu_hawk
04-27-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he should adopt a dog from the pound. a dog would rather be left alone a lot and not get much exercise then be put to sleep at the shelter. you should have thought of that.

7ontheline
04-28-2005, 12:02 AM
<------------- Shih Tzu!

Oh wait, I have two of them and I look like the gayest man on the block when I walk them. And I'm 6'4, 200 lbs. So maybe not. They are cute though. And they don't need a huge amount of exercise or space. They're not yappy either.

turnipmonster
04-28-2005, 11:15 AM
my parents have a shih tzu also. they are very cute, nice very chill dogs that need almost no exercise and like to sleep a lot. they are also very cool and pretty much act like puppies for a lot of their life. they really are perfect apartment dogs.

--turnipmonster

JinX11
04-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Mini-schnauzer

swede123
04-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Schnauzers are great dogs, but aren't they pretty high energy, requiring lots of exercise etc?

Swede

ripdog
04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big dog person, but there are some small dogs that have good personalities. I never thought I'd say this, but wiener dogs are actually pretty cool. Having said that, I think you should try to find one form a rescue group or get a mutt from the local shelter.

davelin
04-28-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big dog person, but there are some small dogs that have good personalities. I never thought I'd say this, but wiener dogs are actually pretty cool. Having said that, I think you should try to find one form a rescue group or get a mutt from the local shelter.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I have been to a couple of local shelters and considered getting a dog from there. Our biggest problem with getting a dog from there is that it would probably want to jump around and have a big yard to play in after being cooped up for so long. At least that's how I'd feel...

RunDownHouse
04-28-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Our biggest problem with getting a dog from there is that it would probably want to jump around and have a big yard to play in after being cooped up for so long. At least that's how I'd feel...

[/ QUOTE ]

For the rest of its life? I don't think this is a concern, really.

BellyBuster7
04-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Pretty decent list (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/apartment.htm)

ripdog
04-28-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where you live, but whereever it is, investigate local Dog Parks (some places call them Dog Runs). They're great for the dogs.

I have a Belgian Shepherd/Border collie mix, but we live in a house. He's a 100% indoor dog, but we do make sure he gets plenty of exercise.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a female Belgian/Border Collie mix. I would love to see a picture of your dog. She would qualify as a very smart dog, but she's insanely rambunctious(even at 7 years of age), so I have to downgrade her intelligence due to that. Very well behaved once you get her attention (nearly impossible at the dog park) and an excellent watchdog. She is an indoor dog as well and has a Aussie/English Setter for a playmate.

People who get a dog just to have a dog and keep it out in the back yard or on a chain suck. People who lets their dogs roam suck even harder. Ours are part of the family and undoubtedly live a better life that a lot of people in this country. Dogs rule, people and cats suck.

ripdog
04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I have been to a couple of local shelters and considered getting a dog from there. Our biggest problem with getting a dog from there is that it would probably want to jump around and have a big yard to play in after being cooped up for so long. At least that's how I'd feel...

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you have some kind of bias towards purebreds. If you're looking for a status dog, then I don't think you should get a dog at all. If you're looking for a companion animal, and I think that you are, then a rescue dog is perfect. Be patient and search for the perfect dog. My wife and I looked for several months for the right dog, never considering a purebred. If you do your homework and just go looking for the right dog, you'll spend less than $100 and wind up with a great family pet. We wouldn't trade either of our pound puppies for anything. Keep checking the shelters. Here's a link for you:

petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com/)

A purebred is an unnecessary expense, IMO. If you must have a purebred, at least check into the purebred rescue organizations for that breed.

swede123
04-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Regarding the breeder vs. shelter debate, it really comes down to what you want out of your dog experience.

The advantage of a dog from a shelter is that you will pay less, you will often get a mutt which might have lower risk of genetic defects, like cancer, hip/knee problems, or blindness, and you can often times get a dog which has already been house trained and one which might be older and less hyper.

Going through a breeder you will pay more for the dog. Depending on what you are searching for you may have to leave your city, possibly even your state to find the dog you are looking for. There's definitely more homework involved in order to find a reputable breeder that has suitable puppies. Of course the advantage is that once you do the work you can minimize the issues with breed defects, aggression, and if you are ever planning on breeding the animal eventually you pretty much have to go the breeder route. Usually the pups you get from a breeder will be younger than those you find at the shelter. This may be good (you get to totally determine the dog's environmental influences) or bad (your pup will destroy stuff in your house, house breaking/training might be more of an issue than with a pound dog).

Cheers,

Swede

JinX11
04-28-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Schnauzers are great dogs, but aren't they pretty high energy, requiring lots of exercise etc?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not bad...if they have toys, they are more than happy to go play by themselves. Of course, if you're willing to throw a ball, they'll play fetch until their tongues turn purple.

I've had two in my lifetime...unfortunately, I had to put my three-year old, Max, down last Friday (kidney problems). My g/f is now trying to talk me into a Welsh terrier. You may want to look into a Welshie, as well.

PapaSan
04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Make a baby you know that's what she really wants instead of the dog. Name her/him Spot.

iMsoLucky0
04-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Didn't read the whole thread, but I would highly recommend forking over the 1500 for a bulldog. They are great dogs, and the way they look is just awesome.

jon593
04-28-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go with a boxer/german shepherd great dogs. great for both men and women like to play and like to be babied by women. and great wth kids

boxer/ german shepherd (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3876253&adTarget=468doggenera l&SessionID=426af819714fc2ea-app2&display=&preview=1&row=250&tmpl=&stat=)

davelin
04-28-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't read the whole thread, but I would highly recommend forking over the 1500 for a bulldog. They are great dogs, and the way they look is just awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pretty awesome. Couple of them in my building, I'm contemplating dognapping the next one I see.

davelin
04-28-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty decent list (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/apartment.htm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, this is a good list!