PDA

View Full Version : DVR v. TiVo

thatpfunk
04-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Why would you pay for TiVo when DVR does the exact same thing for $6 a month?

Someone please explain this to me.

And DVR might be the best invention ever...

tech
04-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Would you pay for Kleenex when facial tissue does the same thing?

astroglide
04-27-2005, 05:46 PM
that's like saying "why would anybody pay for a ford focus when an automobile does the same thing?" tivo IS a DVR, that's the type of product it is. DVR is not a brand, and whatever you're comparing it to has a manufacturer and a product name which you're apparently missing.

to answer the question, tivo's user interface and functionality is wildly superior to anything else i've used. at present i have charter digital cable with hdtv, along with their moxi hdtv dvr. i use the moxi for hd and movie recordings only. i use the tivo to record all sd content because it's that much better to use it.

jaym
04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't have much experience with Tivo, but the Moxi DVR in my cable box blows the DishNetwork DVR out of the water. I thought it was nice when it was all I knew, but I'm so glad I found Moxi.

thatpfunk
04-27-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

to answer the question, tivo's user interface and functionality is wildly superior to anything else i've used. at present i have charter digital cable with hdtv, along with their moxi hdtv dvr. i use the moxi for hd and movie recordings only. i use the tivo to record all sd content because it's that much better to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I have TimeWarners DVR and have been very happy with the layout, ease of use, etc. If someone has tried both, I would be interested to hear comparisons.

Freakin
04-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I pay Tivo for the season pass programming, TivoToGo, online scheduling, and teh bweep bwoop sounds it makes when i do stuff....

Freakin

Shajen
04-27-2005, 06:02 PM
My tivo is integrated with DirecTV...it's $5 a month with the Directv service.

$6 a month?

wayabvpar
04-27-2005, 06:09 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif TiVo. The software is what pushes it above any run of the mill DVR. I paid for a lifetime subscription ($300), so I don't have to worry about monthly fees. I am also free to change my TV provider at any time- I am not tied to one service since I don't use their proprietary DVRs.

My TiVo is like a family member.

bosoxfan
04-27-2005, 06:49 PM
I just got DVR through charter last week, I never really thought I needed it. After a week I don't think I could live without it.

wonderwes
04-27-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My tivo is integrated with DirecTV...it's $5 a month with the Directv service.

$6 a month?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tivo is the original, and is still the best. Plus the internet options to send other video, pictures, and music to other tivo users by ethernet is great. You truely get what you pay for.

fryKing
04-28-2005, 12:31 AM
The TiVo software is easier to use and has a lot of cool features like programming over the internet, downloading shows to your PC, etc. It also has less bugs than my Time Warner DVR.

BUT my Time Warner DVR is HD, can record 2 channels at once,or let me record one/watch a different one, and costs me $0 to buy and $8 a month instead of $100-$200 to buy and $13 a month.

I'm keeping the TiVo because I've had one for years and I like it, but I wouldn't say it's so much better that's worth the extra money, and if you have HD it shouldn't even be an option.

Having any DVR will make you totally dependant on it though, when I had just TiVo but not the HD DVR not being able to pause/rewind live TV was just brutal.

jstnrgrs
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
I use Dish DVR, and I am very happy with it. I have never used tivo, but I have heard that you can only foward through commercials at 8x (correct me if I'm wrong). Dish DVR can foward at a rate of up to 300x, and it has a button that skips 30s foward with one push (so I just hit it 6 or 7 times, and I am through the commercials). I estimate I get throught comercial breaks in about 5 to 7 seconds.

Ringo_Mojo
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Do other DVRs have Season Pass/Wishlist/Suggestion functionality like TiVo?

I love my Tivo for those features alone, its like i have a friend staying home all day to record shows that it thinks I'd like to watch.

astroglide
04-29-2005, 12:33 AM
i'm not aware of anybody else that has wishlist or suggestion features

wonderwes
04-29-2005, 12:37 AM
There is an HD tivo, it just cost a freaking grand. It can record 4 things at once though.

astroglide
04-29-2005, 01:00 AM
hd tivo it's limited to software version 3 because hughes and tivo do not have good terms with each other. this, among other things, makes the interface WAY slower and doesn't allow simple categorization (e.g. if you have 10 copies of iron chef you will see all 10 on one screen instead of seeing IRON CHEF 10 as a folder).

it has 2 satellite tuners and 2 over the air tuners. if you have an antenna and good reception, you can record OTA content but you will obviously be limited to local channels only. i believe it's limited to 2 recording and 1 viewing as well.

the big kick is that hughes is switching hd broadcasts to mpeg4. hd tivo only supports mpeg2 and does it in hardware. this means that the hd tivo cannot see new hd content from the satellites.