PDA

View Full Version : Great story about Stuey

Nepa
11-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Did anyone here ever call with 10 high?

http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=12930

J_V
11-15-2002, 06:53 AM
It is a hell of of story. But I don't believe it happened. And if it did......that dirty dog was wearing cobalt blue glasses.

The gin story is good though.

11-15-2002, 07:11 AM
Ah, the old blue glasses story again. What is the general feeling, is there ANYTHING in that story?!

youtalkfunny
11-15-2002, 07:26 AM
"Ah, the old blue glasses story again. What is the general feeling, is there ANYTHING in that story?!"

I didn't think there was, until I heard, "You've got either 65 or 54. I call."

That was the first time I considered that there MIGHT be something to it.

J_V
11-15-2002, 07:33 AM
It's really hard to sipher through the cheating McCarthyism, but I was really surprised as to how much cheating actually did/does go on. Not that it matters to anyone else, but I have a reliable friend who has a reliable friend who is 100% sure the cobalt blue glasses thing happened /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

mewhoelse
11-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Well this is not quite in the same league but here is an amazing call with 10 high I saw in $2000 buy-in limit holdem.

Ted Forrest opens with a raise somewhere in the middle.
BB on a complete, insane rush calls. I am possitive that he was a chip leader of the tourney at this point. There were around 350 people left out of 600. The guy could not miss a hand for the lst hour.

Flop Q Q 2

Ted bets, guy calls.

Turn 9

Ted bets, guy calls

River 2

Ted bets, guy thinks, thinks and calls.

Ted- 33, Guy 10-6

The table is shoked.

Of course the guy took me out, but crashed and burned soon thereafter.

Nepa
11-16-2002, 12:30 AM
Why can't anyone give credit for picking up a tell?

Was Stuey accused of cheating during his life? Or did these cheating stories come out after his death? I'm assuming that "cobalt blue glasses" are some sort of cheating device.

11-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Thanks for giving me the chance to brag /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
It was in a $3/$6 heads up hold'em game almost a year ago. I was playing a very aggressive player who I had gotten a pretty good read on. He limped in the small blind and I checked with 10-9 offsuit. The flop came A-K-Q, check, check. The turn came an 8, check, check, and the river came a 4, when he bet out. I called and beat his 7-5 suited.

I knew he had small cards or he would have raised preflop, I knew he wouldnt bet a 4, so he either had an 8 or I was winning, and I took the 2/1 gamble.

Regards,
Richard

J_V
11-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Who has a 5-6o tell?

Ed Miller
11-17-2002, 12:57 AM
Some joker called me on the end with 10-high about two months ago. I must have an obvious "I can't beat 10-high" tell because I couldn't. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

eLROY
11-17-2002, 10:44 AM
To me, it looks like there must have been some other dynamic carried over from previous hands for Mansour's play to have been correct.

It's almost like the check caused him to think it was still the turn, and he didn't want to give Stuey a free card. Obviously, he didn't want Stuey to call, there was no hand that was actually that strong.

Therefore, since he was so plainly telling Stuey to fold, Stuey had to call.

Heads-up, it is almost always correct to call on the end in Stuey's situation. In this case, the size of the bet doesn't make it less correct to call but, rather, more correct to call, to the extent it could only be an attempt to make it less correct.

eLROY

skp
11-17-2002, 02:24 PM
It was an amazing read andI don't believe that it had anything to do with a tell - it was a pure read based on the board. If Mansour had a hand that beats Stuey's, he would have either bet the turn or checked both turn and river. Checking the turn and betting the river might make sense only with slowplayed trips. In other words, if Mansour had, say, Ace high, he would have either bet the turn or checked both turn and river. If he had Jack high, he probably doesn't call the flop or bluffs on the turn. If he had any kind of pair, he bets the turn when Stuey checks.

Like I said it was a great read. But it takes some real stones to act on that read and put in 32k to call with Ten high. Amazing.

mike l.
11-19-2002, 03:11 AM
"Did anyone here ever call with 10 high?"

im impressed, but a little less impressed because it was a heads up no limit match.

in my book there will be a few pages devoted to calling and winning with K high and QJ, a play im very fond of. ring games only though. and i even called and won with JT online 4-8 once (on purpose even), but no T high yet.