PDA

View Full Version : Strange ESPN Super Bowl Odds

Tron
04-27-2005, 04:09 PM
LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=2005nflodds&POLL204=40000200)

Is it just me, or do the odds on this page seem kind of screwy? For example, in the AFC West (AKA the only division I care about), the Kansas City Chiefs (AKA the only team I care about) have 18-1 odds to win the Super Bowl, and the Over/Under for regular season wins is 9. The Chargers, on the other hand, have an O/U of 11, but their odds to win the Super Bowl are 22-1.

I don't know anything about sports betting, so what gives?

Also, just to keep in the spirit of OOT and so I don't get told to post this in the Sports Betting forum (ugh), make some bold and irrational predictions about the Super Bowl next year.

maldini
04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
clearly the chiefs have a higher variance. they could suck or be the best team while the chargers are likley to be good but not great.

that being said, i love the cheifs at 18:1
also:
GB30:1
Hou: 48:1 (homer maybe)
STL: 40:1 (are you serious?)
BAL: 18:1

any thoughts?

kenberman
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
post this in sports betting /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

also, the 2 numbers you mention come from different sources, hence the discrepency

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the experts at bodog.com have set their lines for Super Bowl XL next February in Detroit, along with the odds on which teams will win the AFC and NFC. The NFL editors at ESPN.com also looked into their crystal ball and forecasted the over/under on every team's win total for the season ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, Pats win again baby!

Ok, they probably have too many big losses to overcome, like both their coordinators and possibly their best linebacker. but in Bill we trust...

pshreck
04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
clearly the chiefs have a higher variance. they could suck or be the best team while the chargers are likley to be good but not great.

[/ QUOTE ]

... or it just has to do with strength of the regular season schedule.

Tron
04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
also, the 2 numbers you mention come from different sources, hence the discrepency

[/ QUOTE ]

These both make sense, so I'm guessing it's a combination of the two. Thanks.

Skipbidder
04-27-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... make some bold and irrational predictions about the Super Bowl next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I boldly and irrationally predict that the Milwaukee Brewers will win the Super Bowl next year. In the playoffs, they will defeat Bowling Green, the cast of Friends, and the San Jose Sharks.

Shajen
04-27-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... make some bold and irrational predictions about the Super Bowl next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I boldly and irrationally predict that the Milwaukee Brewers will win the Super Bowl next year. In the playoffs, they will defeat Bowling Green, the cast of Friends, and the San Jose Sharks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joey has a gimpy hammy. Just a little insider tip for you. Be cautious with your betting.

PokerGoblin
04-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Interesting, It appears over 50% of those polled think the Lions will win 9-10 games.

They much not have been watching football for the last five hundred years.

PG

youtalkfunny
04-27-2005, 06:32 PM
One-word answer: Marty