PDA

View Full Version : eaten by eights

momsvisa
04-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Moderately loose passive 5-10 6 max Party Poker...UTG calls, I raise with 88 in MP...CO calls....BB calls...

Flop comes J 2 3, two clubs which I have the eight of...

It's checked to me... I bet... big blind calls as well as utg...turn is T of clubs and the big blind bets out...Although I have an innate suspicion of the surprise bet out, this struck me as a clear fold..I'd seen him bet out on a previous hand when he hit a big hand on turn....plus I've only got the eights and a slim shot at a mediocre flush...

Still, pot fairly big and as I watched from the sidelines only to see another club fall which would have given me the winning hand, I began to second guess myself based on pot size

Should I have hung in on turn?

Grisgra
04-27-2005, 03:58 PM
So it looks like it was a 6.5BB pot on the turn, and you have a read on your opponent that when he donkbets the turn like that he actually has a good hand.

You didn't tell us what UTG did. If he called, I think this is an obvious fold, as you're probably behind now, and if UTG has a club then you're behind even if you catch.

If UTG folded, and it's headsup . . .then youch, this is close. You're 4:1 to catch a club, and maybe it's good 60-70% of the time? But he'll probably call a river bet if he checks to you if a club falls, so you'll make another BB there.

You're getting around 7:1 implied odds, and you're about 7:1 to catch a club and win it. If he's so predictable that he'll check the river if he has no club, but bet it if he does (allowing you to fold if a club falls) . . . maybe it's a call.

Also, is there any chance he bets out here without a made hand?

Finally, it matters whether or not the jack here was a club or not. If the guy has JT, and can't have either the jack or ten of clubs, then you're looking better.