PDA

View Full Version : we have a successful fusion reaction, dr octavius

astroglide
04-27-2005, 02:59 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&e=4&u=/ap/tabletop_fusion

Freakin
04-27-2005, 04:06 PM
That's awesome! I mean, it coudl be better, but it's still pretty cool. I wish I had a beam of charged deuterium atoms....

Freakin

Dynasty
04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
How do we turn it into a weapon to kill terorists?

Seriously, wacki will enjoy this story. Fusion power is sort of the holy grail of clean energy.

Freakin
04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do we turn it into a weapon to kill terorists?

Seriously, wacki will enjoy this story. Fusion power is sort of the holy grail of clean energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

And of Alchemy, strangely enough.*

Freakin

*Note, may require supernova

wacki
04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost posted this article this morning when I saw it on slashdot.

The energy produced from this experiment was miniscule (~1E-8 jules). 10^-8 is a very small number. It would be interesting to see what this method leads to, but from what I understand the technology doesn't scale to larger applications. As of right now, I don't see anyone talking about using this as a power source. I need to learn more about this. Physics guys?????? Help???

Still, this is an amazing discovery.

astroglide
04-27-2005, 08:24 PM
yahoo actually beat slashdot to the punch by a fair margin on this story

i posted it with you in mind, cautiously hoping that it wouldn't degenerate into an energy debate which belongs in the politics forum. so far so good /images/graemlins/smile.gif peak oil/etc is a shared concern of mine.

Clarkmeister
04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The energy produced from this experiment was miniscule

[/ QUOTE ]

And more importantly, less than was put into the experiment.

Popinjay
04-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I thought there had been fusion reactions before? Using heavy water and stuff? but again the problem was that the energy put in was more than the energy coming out, making it useless.

wacki
04-27-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i posted it with you in mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Duly noted. The gesture is very much appreciated. If I ever learn about something in your interest area before you do (not likely) I will return the gesture. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks astro.

Freakin
04-27-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yahoo actually beat slashdot to the punch by a fair margin on this story

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty common. I usually see articles on google news before they ever make it to /.

Freakin