PDA

View Full Version : AK in early 100s

Meatmaw
04-27-2005, 12:54 PM
I suspect I have a serious leak in my play with early AK (or AKs) play in the 100s. Usually, given no more than one raise in front, I tend to reraise AK, but when the levels are early such that a reraise all in to my raise doesn't put me in with something like 2-1 odds should I be staying out of what seems to 90% of the time be a pair (and sometimes AA,KK of course)?

Example:
10/15
MP raises to 45
HERO CO raises to 150
MP all in with 755
pot = 975
hero has 650 left.

Do you call here? My sample size is small and negligible but it seems that late game play is so exploitable that the 3-2 odds I get on this aren't worth the almost guaranteed 1-1 or much worse odds. Some advice?

J-Lo
04-27-2005, 01:13 PM
i 8 table the 20's, trying to move to the $50's, and have played one $215 in my life.

I think the reraise is a mistake, most people here (twoplustwo) call AK a drawing hand. Calling a preflop raise w/ position is the superior play, because u can let your positional advantage play out.

Meatmaw
04-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Then what is the play from early position? To treat it basically like a medium pair that needs to improve, but is willing to call a greater raise than the med pairs early?

Apathy
04-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Sometimes you should re-raise it depends on who the raiser was and how much they opened for, I can usually tell within a pretty close range what raisers have at this level from their first bet. If it's somone who is quite loose and it looks like the pot could go multi way, you have to re-pop.

In the hand you posted I would call in postion the majority of the time to avoid the situation you got into.

When someone raised a tiny amount like 45 and then 3 bets all in It's almost always AA's or KK's. That being said it would depend on the opponent whether I would call or not, if I felt I had about 45-50% equity in the pot, I would certainlty call and race it off, but like I said, avoiding these situations is key.