PDA

View Full Version : Armored cars...

kerssens
04-27-2005, 12:25 PM
I just got back from the store and saw the armored car stopping by the credit union and it got me thinking, would this be a kick ass job? You basically get to drive a tank with wheels and you get to carry a shotgun. Anybody done this?

jakethebake
04-27-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from the store and saw the armored car stopping by the credit union and it got me thinking, would this be a kick ass job? You basically get to drive a tank with wheels and you get to carry a shotgun. Anybody done this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Part time for awhile when I was in the Marines. It's not fun.

Catch of the Day
04-27-2005, 02:03 PM
by Marines he means National Guard, and by National Guard, he means obviously...eagle scouts.

Catch

jakethebake
04-27-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by Marines he means National Guard, and by National Guard, he means obviously...eagle scouts. Catch

[/ QUOTE ]

Uuuh....no.

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm curious...why was it not fun? (not that i think it would be a "fun" job, but i am curious as to what it's like, so i'd like to hear more details.)

daryn
04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
my guess is it's boring. you never get to shoot anyone.

jakethebake
04-27-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm curious...why was it not fun? (not that i think it would be a "fun" job, but i am curious as to what it's like, so i'd like to hear more details.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was incredibly boring. There were all kinds of ridiculous nit-picky rules. The uniforms sucked. We had to carry big bags of money around. We had to clean the trucks after our shifts. There really just wasn't anything to like about it.

Freakin
04-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Just buy an armored van and drive around with a shotgun....

I was selling an armored van last year for like $2k or something. Panels reinforced w/ kevlar, closable gun ports, inch-thick 'glass'.... it was tight

Freakin

jakethebake
04-27-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was selling an armored van last year for like $2k or something. Panels reinforced w/ kevlar, closable gun ports, inch-thick 'glass'.... it was tight

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Why were you selling it? Better yet, why did you have it in the first place?

kerssens
04-27-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you part of an elite ex-military vigilanty force?

LALDAAS
04-27-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious to know why you owned a armored van or even more so why someone wanted it LOL

LALDAAS
04-27-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Why were you selling it? Better yet, why did you have it in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would appear we think alike /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Freakin
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
A friend of mine ran a used-car lot and took it in on trade. He realized that he'd have a hard time selling it to a casual shopper walking on to teh lot, so he asked me to sell it on ebay. I didn't have much of a need for an armored car, so I certainly didn't want it myself. It got one interested party from the DC area (I'm in seattle) but he didn't want to drive it across the country, so it never sold.... Not sure what my friend did with it, but I doubt he kept it on the lot.

Freakin

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine ran a used-car lot and took it in on trade. He realized that he'd have a hard time selling it to a casual shopper walking on to teh lot, so he asked me to sell it on ebay. I didn't have much of a need for an armored car, so I certainly didn't want it myself. It got one interested party from the DC area (I'm in seattle) but he didn't want to drive it across the country, so it never sold.... Not sure what my friend did with it, but I doubt he kept it on the lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

you couldn't even sell it to some militia in montana?

Freakin
04-27-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you couldn't even sell it to some militia in montana?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem with selling it on the internet... all the crazy government-fearing freaks of the world don't want to have someone watching their movements through the computer....

maldini
04-27-2005, 04:24 PM
what kinda of gas mileage does it get?

if this was your primarly vehicle, what's the over/under on hijackings per year as you stop for gas or a smoke?

Freakin
04-27-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what kinda of gas mileage does it get?

if this was your primarly vehicle, what's the over/under on hijackings per year as you stop for gas or a smoke?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the gas mileage was pretty terrible... the armoring added at least 1k lbs to teh curb weight. It was a modified panel astro minivan, and I think it had some improvements/replacements of the engine, because it had some decent pickup.

I hadn't thought about getting mugged at a gas station, but I'd guess it would come up at least several times a year. I think a carjacking in traffic would be just about the most satifying thing possible.

Freakin

DBowling
04-27-2005, 06:29 PM
an aquantaince of mine does this. its pretty cool. until your buddies get shot in the face during in an attempted robbery. he got shot in the torso, and his vest protected him.