PDA

View Full Version : How much would GOD make playing poker?

pokersavant2005
04-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Alright, I thought the subject line seemed appropriate, but it may of been misleading.

I was playing Wilson's Turbo Texas Holdem the other day, and while using the function that shows you opponents holecards, I got a thought.

Assuming you knew everyone's holecards in a full ring game, how much would you make?

Also, how would you play? Would you simply raise preflop with ever hand that saw you with an advantage over the field? Would you play almost every hand (even heads up, when you KNOW you hold an underpair) because of the implied odds later on?

Also, bluffing when you know you hold the worse hand would be much easier, because you KNOW when he also has a weak holding (i.e. bottom pair) albeit a stronger hand than you.

I find all of this extremely interesting, and would love to hear everyone's line on it.

Rick.

purnell
04-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Assuming god existed, only a fool or the devil would play with her.

smizmiatch
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
First of all, we have to assume God knows the hole cards but does not know what will come on the flop, turn and river.

But even then, it's hard to say how much God would make in BB/100. I mean, what's the maximum possible value you can get if you make every singled decision correctly over the long term?

I think I would raise preflop with every hand that gave me a positive expectation for raising.

I would not simply play every hand because I don't believe the implied odds of being God can justify playing bad cards. Even God can't beat the odds to that extreme.

Of course, because God is God, he would know what the implied odds are exactly, so he would always make the correct play. I'm sure he would play plenty of marginal hands because they have positive expectation (for a player of his caliber, at least).

einbert
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Of all the absolutely ridiculous hypotheticals to be presented in this manner, this is easily the most ridiculous.

chief444
04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Isn't she against gambling or something like that?

Joshssj4
04-27-2005, 12:39 PM
2bb/hour
1/2 nl

hypermegachi
04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming god existed, only a fool or the devil would play with her.

[/ QUOTE ]
her?

flair1239
04-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Do you want me to post a screenshot of my results?

Catch of the Day
04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
This has to belong in another forum...

Catch-

Chris Daddy Cool
04-27-2005, 02:12 PM
this is probably a poker theory question.

but i'm going to guess something like 35bb/100. just a rough guess.

Liam Carver
04-27-2005, 02:15 PM
I love god, but if he sits at my table, I am going to bust his ass.
period.

Liam

Johnny Richter
04-27-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you want me to post a screenshot of my results?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

onegymrat
04-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I think someone else asked the same question in Poker Theory a few days back. Supposing that I can see everyone's hole cards, I would raise a lot while folding a lot at the same time. It's pretty easy to figure out why. The only inconsistency would be whether betting a worse hand is correct or not, depending on the opponent(s).

By the way, God would not gamble. But if it ends up that He wants to humor you with some Hold'em headsup, God would let you win every hand.

RacersEdge
04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
You would have a very high showdown winning %.

Kipu
04-27-2005, 03:27 PM
If God were playing, he/she would control all the cards in the deck, not just know what the opponents held, so a typical hand would go something like this:
Player1: AA
Player2: KK
Player3: QQ
Player4: JJ
Player5: JJ
Player6: TT
Player7: AKs
God: 53o

Flop: AKQ
Turn: 2
River: 4

From this, we can deduce that God plays low-stakes at Party. And does quite well.

pokersavant2005
04-27-2005, 05:47 PM
By the way, this was certainly not a thread that was supposed to have ANYTHING to do with theology...I just thought it was a catchy subject line...

ErrantNight
04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
would everyone stop referring to god as "her"

not because i favor a male gender for the good lord i don't believe in, but simply because it's like typing him/her or he/she as opposed to just "he."

yeah, it blows that the english language is male-dominated and patriarchal reinforcing, [censored], traditional narrative structure is inherently sexist...

but that doesn't mean that even though i don't have a point we need to start female-genderizing "god."

and chris, clearly god makes 37~38bb/100. you forget that when god wants to steal the blind, she STEALS the frickin' blinds.

tHeLefty
04-27-2005, 05:52 PM
this is only your second post and aleady your clogging this forum with moronic babble. your posting career looks about a promising as my spelling career. (ask phil helluth how much god could make he looks in peoples souls)

Little Fishy
04-27-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: AKQ
Turn: 2
River: 4

From this, we can deduce that God plays low-stakes at Party. And does quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Harv72b
04-27-2005, 05:59 PM
This is easy. God would make a near-infinite amount of money, with a near-infinite win rate per hour (BB/100 would depend entirely on His opponents).

First of all, you have to remember that God is infinite. He exists outside of time as we know it. Because of that, God could literally play every single table in existence at once, for all eternity. The only limit to how much He would win playing poker would be how long the game itself was played.

Secondly, God is all-knowing. He would not only know all of his opponents' hole cards; He would also know all of the cards that would be on the board, all of the bets and moves that His opponents would make before and after the flop, and all of His opponents' reactions to His moves. He would literally win the maximum every time He saw the flop, and would never lose a hand that He played. His bluffs would never be called, and His opponents' bluffs would never work.

Finally, God is all powerful. He would never tilt. He would always be playing at 100% of His potential (and His potential in itself would be infinite). He would never tire, but would probably still take Sundays off for form's sake. He could drink all He wanted to at the table and never get drunk. And since God is Love, His opponents would never resent Him or want to leave the table.

It's good to be a god. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nate tha' Great
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and chris, clearly god makes 37~38bb/100. you forget that when god wants to steal the blind, she STEALS the frickin' blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

God does not steal.

Little Fishy
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Anyone who did manage to beat/outdraw g-d would get a very bad case of the 7 plagues that I doubt goldbond would take care of.

TheHip41
04-27-2005, 06:23 PM
I pwned god heads up /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yobz
04-27-2005, 06:30 PM
10 players - 1 = 9 players * 11.5 bets (everyone who wins the showdown folds, everyone who loses calls) = 103.5BB/hand * 100 hands = 10350BB/100.