PDA

View Full Version : a 2-7 td hand

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 12:02 PM
first, i know this isn't a real money table, but i'm very very new to td and thus i'm trying to get what little experience i can as cheap as possible before jumping into real money games. flame away if you want.

this is probably pretty basic. i wasn't sure just draw 1 to the smooth 8 right off the bat, or to draw 2 to a nice 7 (which i did). when i got the complete and utter blanks, i was even less sure what to do. thanks for any comments!

(10/20 play money Triple Draw 2-7)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 27/Apr/05 11:40:52

J is at seat 0 with 2630.
W is at seat 1 with 720.
N is at seat 2 with 1435.
hero is at seat 3 with 495.
C is at seat 4 with 950 (sitting out).
F is at seat 5 with 990.
The button is at seat 3.

F posts the small blind of 5.
J posts the big blind of 10.

J: -- -- -- -- --
W: -- -- -- -- --
N: -- -- -- -- --
hero: 4d 8h 3d 4h 2h
F: -- -- -- -- --

First Round:

W calls. N folds. hero raises to 20.
F calls. J calls. W calls.

C has disconnected, is dropped.
F takes 2 cards. J takes 3 cards.
W takes 4 cards. hero takes 2 cards.

Second Round:

hero: 4d 3d 2h Jd Jh

C has reconnected.
F checks. J checks. W
checks. hero checks.

F takes 2 cards. J takes 2 cards.
W takes 2 cards. hero takes 2 cards.

Third Round:

hero: 4d 3d 2h 5c Qd

F checks. J checks. W
checks. hero bets 20. F calls.
J folds. W calls.

F takes 2 cards. W takes 1 card.
hero takes 1 card.

hero: 4d 3d 2h 5c Qc

Final Round:

F bets 20. W calls. hero calls.

Showdown:

F 7d 6d 5h 3c 2c.
F has 7 6 5 3 2.
W mucks cards.
(Wn has 9c 7s 6s 5s 4s.)
hero mucks cards.
(hero has Qc 5c 4d 3d 2h.)

Hand #5588271-1196 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
F wins 200 with 7 6 5 3 2.

i know that no one is going to fold in a play money game. assumign this were a real game, would you bet after the second draw to try to get some of them to drop, and keep the initiative in the hand? also, in a real money game i would have folded to the river bet, given that it was multiway, unless the bettor was a habitual bluffer or would bet any non-paired hand in that spot (and i was last to act, as here). however, the call would worry me and i'd be more inclined to fold given the call.

Chris Daddy Cool
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM
predraw you shouldn't dump the 8. you got 2348 already and its hard to improve better honestly. you need to catch specifically the 7 and then worry about a 5 or 6 coming. if you just dump your pair you can draw just one for that 5,6 or 7. catching a 5 will make your hand a winner a solid amount of times, as will the 6. catching a 7 might be a little tricky, but when you don't think an 87 won't be any good you can always then dump the 8 there.

and also, overcalling the river with a Q isnt going to win very often, if not at all here. you should fold.

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and also, overcalling the river with a Q isnt going to win very often, if not at all here. you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah like i said i wouldn't have done that in that situation if it were real money. thanks for the help though.

TakeMeToTheRiver
04-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Draw one with the 8432. Drawing one to a smooth 8 is far better than drawing two cards to anything. Also, you have position and every other player drew two or more. With that information, you should feel pretty good with your 8. With a Jack low after the first round, you could have bet and likely knocked out one or more of the other players as well (instead of giving them all free cards).

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Draw one with the 8432. Drawing one to a smooth 8 is far better than drawing two cards to anything. Also, you have position and every other player drew two or more. With that information, you should feel pretty good with your 8. With a Jack low after the first round, you could have bet and likely knocked out one or more of the other players as well (instead of giving them all free cards).

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming i did draw one, and had the 2348j after the first round, do you keep drawing to the 8 if people stick around (assuming i bet) and draw 1+ each? or if they keep drawing do you rap pat and go with it?

TakeMeToTheRiver
04-27-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming i did draw one, and had the 2348j after the first round, do you keep drawing to the 8 if people stick around (assuming i bet) and draw 1+ each? or if they keep drawing do you rap pat and go with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a more interesting question. Let's assume that two of the three other players call your bet in the second round and they both take two cards. I think that a J8 is still far ahead of two players drawing two cards each... but I am not 100% sure.

I might stand pat and hope to get the others to fold to a bet in the third round... although nearly half the deck will improve your hand and you have two draws left...

I would love to hear the views from others.

bunky9590
04-27-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is a more interesting question. Let's assume that two of the three other players call your bet in the second round and they both take two cards. I think that a J8 is still far ahead of two players drawing two cards each... but I am not 100% sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, mathematically you're ahead, but keep drawing smooth to the 8. As a rule in position if you are ahead of those cats drawing (i.e. 1 card smooth draw vs. 2 card draws), its an automatic bet whether you improve or not.

You actually would have made the perfect 8 on the second draw, then is the time to go nuts and rap pat.

[ QUOTE ]
I might stand pat and hope to get the others to fold to a bet in the third round... although nearly half the deck will improve your hand and you have two draws left...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why you draw to the smooth 8.

timprov
04-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Play in the .25/.50. Play money or 1c/2c, you're not learning enough to make it worth your time.

In anything but a superloose game, draw one to 2348. (In play money, you're better drawing two as eights have much less showdown value.)

When you pick up 2348J after the first draw, you should almost always draw one again.