PDA

View Full Version : If the NYT had covered Jesus in the Biblical times

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 10:56 AM
If the NYT had covered the Main Event (http://www.cwnews.com/offtherecord/offtherecord.cfm?task=singledisplay&recnum=2663) (no subscription required)

Very funny spoof by Catholic World News

CAESAREA PHILIPPI (20 Kislev) Yesterday's surprise announcement that doctrinal hardliner Jesus of Nazareth had been anointed "Messiah" provoked mixed reactions in the diverse and sometimes fractious Israelite community, ranging from cautious disappointment to frank despair.

Stan the man
04-27-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very funny spoof by Catholic World News

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?! Catholic World News. You seriously read something called Catholic World News? Are you some religious wacko or what? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

By the way smart guys don't believe in Jesus, Harry Potter, God or Russ Limbaugh. So stop making these useless post.

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF?! Catholic World News. You seriously read something called Catholic World News? Are you some religious wacko or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am a Roman Catholic person that reads something called the Catholic World News (among others). I can how this would shock a member of the Church of Secularism.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way smart guys don't believe in Jesus

[/ QUOTE ]

Newton, St Thomas Acquinas, C.S. Lewis, Leibnitz, to name a few.

[ QUOTE ]
Harry Potter

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

[ QUOTE ]
God

[/ QUOTE ]

See my list above, and add Aristotle.

[ QUOTE ]
Russ Limbaugh

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean Rush Limbaugh, I think most smart people and even most dumb people would agree that he exists.

andyfox
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
They wouldn't have referred to him as "Jesus." Their internal style manual says they must refer to all as "Mr. ____." [I've seen this in reference to Meat Loaf, who they called "Mr. Loaf."] So it would be, I guess, Mr. Christ.

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They wouldn't have referred to him as "Jesus." Their internal style manual says they must refer to all as "Mr. ____." [I've seen this in reference to Meat Loaf, who they called "Mr. Loaf."] So it would be, I guess, Mr. Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least tell me you thought it was funny Andy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

superleeds
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I think Christ as a Surname was not generally applied during Jesus's day so would the NYT have used Mr of Nazereth or Mr Son of Joseph?

BCPVP
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Who's Russ Limbaugh?

Stan the man
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can how this would shock a member of the Church of Secularism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what does a member of the Church of Secularism means. Anyway I believe in David Sklansky*, John Nash, John Von Neumann, Oscar Morgenstern etc.. And not guys like pope or Jesus. And yes I know that pope exists. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you mean Rush Limbaugh, I think most smart people and even most dumb people would agree that he exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Rush Limbaugh exists. Smart guys know that Rush is full of sh*t.

* = I know that Sklansky is Republican or at least semi-Republican.

andyfox
04-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Your Mr. of Nazareth is the funniest.

andyfox
04-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Indeed I did.

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
I know English isnt your first language so I realize you may have some difficulty with comprehension. Basically you said that smart guys dont believe in God or Jesus. I am not sure if by that you meant they dont they exist (which is how it reads) or if you meant they believe in what they teach. Either way the small list I provided of "smart guys" answers the question.

Wynton
04-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Aristotle believed in a prime mover, but not "God" in the sense meant by most Catholics, as this excerpt from "An Outline History of Philosophy" reveals:

"Aristotle's conception of a God, outside of the world, causing all motion in nature, supplying the efficient cause for the universe, was just suited for a philosophy whose primary purpose was to find confirmation for the Church. The fact that Aristotle's God was devoid of all qualities so essential for a religious Divine Creator offered small difficulty to the theologians, whose minds were very quick to find reasons and explanations even for things most mysterious. Certainly Aristotle was not concerned with attributing mercy, love, sympathy and similar qualities to God, who, he considered, was leading a life of contemplation and supplied purely the metaphysical need for explaining the efficient cause and the goal for universal progress."

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Wynton,

Yes I know all that, just trying to keep it simple. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DVaut1
04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Christ as a Surname was not generally applied during Jesus's day so would the NYT have used Mr of Nazereth or Mr Son of Joseph?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Christ isn't a surname. It's merely Greek for 'messiah'.

Jesus is just the Greek form of the Hebrew Joshua. But, before you suspect Jesus was actually called Joshua in his time, most Jews in Palestine 2000 years ago spoke Aramaic, so he would have been called Yeshua; except even that is debated by scholars.

In other words, no one's quite certain what Jesus was called by his peers.

Stan the man
04-27-2005, 12:49 PM
If you can't read english it is your problem, not my problem. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ok, it was a joke. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My point is that only suckers believe in god.

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that only suckers believe in god.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Newton was a sucker?

fluff
04-27-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In other words, no one's quite certain what Jesus was called by his peers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the apostles greeted him with "Sup Bro?".

superleeds
04-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I only wish I could swear it was intentional /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Stan the man
04-27-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So Newton was a sucker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
I can give you a list of some of the greatest minds in history that were all strong believers in God and Christianity. If you are foolish enough to think they are all suckers than have at it. Frankly I shouldnt have diginified your post by replying to it in the first place.

BCPVP
04-27-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
need some quote from supporter

[/ QUOTE ]
Funniest part, I thought...! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wmspringer
04-27-2005, 06:52 PM
I believe it would simply be "Jesus of Nazareth" or similar.

Warchant88
04-27-2005, 07:08 PM
I honestly don't see what the harm is in believing in a God. If there is heaven, and you believe in him, then you'll have eternal happiness. If you believe in him, and there is no heaven, then oh well, nothing happens when you die. But, if you don't believe in God, and there is a heaven, then you're [censored]. If you don't believe in him and there is no heaven, then oh well again.

So, really there is no hamr in believing in a higher being.

Dead
04-27-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know English isnt your first language so I realize you may have some difficulty with comprehension.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you that Stan's English is better than your Finnish, or whatever other language besides English that you speak.

vulturesrow
04-27-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guarantee you that Stan's English is better than your Finnish

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably.

[ QUOTE ]
or whatever other language besides English that you speak

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it.

Nice of you to ride in on your white horse and try to save Stan but the fact is I wasnt trying to be a dick. It became pretty obvious to me that what he was saying was slightly off from what he meant to say. So in short, buzz off.

Dead
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So in short, buzz off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can go back to shooting Iraqis now.

Sephus
04-28-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So in short, buzz off.

[/ QUOTE ]