PDA

View Full Version : pearls of wisdom from family members

JaBlue
04-27-2005, 04:02 AM
so i'm drinking some stoli with my uncle and somehow the running of the bulls comes up. He says that its his life's ambition to run with them. I say I'll join him. He says he's got it all figured out.

First of all, the trick is to "run like a squirrel"

and

second of all, you don't have to be the fastest. You just have to be faster than the guy right behind you.

so if your family members have ever given you some wisdom that you will never forget share it here. I am sure there will be some from the birds and bees talks so don't be shy. share your family's wisdom with me

youtalkfunny
04-27-2005, 04:18 AM
THE GOOD:

DAD: How old are you now, Bobby?
ME: Sixteen.
DAD: (sincerely) ENJOY it. While you can.

I did. Seriously, that line stayed with me, and I made it a point to have more fun at that age, than I probably would have if he didn't urge me to. No fooling.

Thanks, Dad.

THE BAD:

OLDER BROTHER: If you're speeding, and you go past a cop, don't slow down. That would be like an admitting that you knew you were speeding, and they'll come after you.

(Bad advice. Real bad. The cop even told me, "I was gonna let you go, but you saw me, and didn't even slow down.")

THE UGLY:

I called my mother, and told her excitedly of the promotion I had a good chance of getting at work. It wasn't a lock, but I had a great shot at it.

"Oh well," she said resignedly. "If it's meant to be, it's meant to be."

What the hell does that mean? The promotion has been predetermined, and all my hard work counts for NOTHING?

Sorry, Ma, I'm not buying it.

Josh W
04-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Pray.

touchfaith
04-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Yes, they even provided proof, but I never listened...

http://home.pacbell.net/ratisor/girlsevil.jpg

JaBlue
04-27-2005, 04:43 AM
is this your family's wisdom or how I could best run with the bulls?

sublime
04-27-2005, 04:51 AM
dont rat

JaBlue
04-27-2005, 04:56 AM
as in "don't rat someone out"?

Blarg
04-27-2005, 04:57 AM
The best insight comes from really little kids. They constantly say stuff that's hilarious and true. They're kind of unstoppable killing machines in that way. They'll force you to laugh whether you want to or not, and keep you honest.

sublime
04-27-2005, 04:58 AM
as in "don't rat someone out"?

yes

sublime
04-27-2005, 04:59 AM
The best insight comes from really little kids. They constantly say stuff that's hilarious and true. They're kind of unstoppable killing machines in that way. They'll force you to laugh whether you want to or not, and keep you honest.

plus they are good in bed

Tacjedi
04-27-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
plus they are good in bed

[/ QUOTE ]

You need this website
Age of Consent (http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm)

Jazza
04-27-2005, 05:29 AM
my bro in law, he was talking about a time in his life when he had broken up with my sister (who he is now married too):

"so i had this girl back at my place, pretty hot, but way drunk and she wants to do me. i decided not too, and the next day she says you are a gentleman and all that. i should have though; Jim, let this be a lesson to you, you should be doing every chick now that you can, because life's too short."

Stuey
04-27-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jim, let this be a lesson to you, you should be doing every chick now that you can, because life's too short."

[/ QUOTE ]

nice.

The Dude
04-27-2005, 05:41 AM
My grandmother: "Rules are for those who don't know what they're doing."

The interesting thing is that everybody who knew her agrees that she was one of those who didn't know what she was doing, and yet it doesn't take away from the inherent truth of the statement.

Blarg
04-27-2005, 06:06 AM
There's a lot of truth in that.

I remember in college how many classes that were closed in college that I got into just by asking the professor if I could, and how often I got access to labs and equipment that nobody else did. Just by asking. Sometimes more than once. I almost always got in classes that way; I just did it the smart way, not in front of the whole class full of other students that were also trying to get in, forcing him to say no, and forcing him to not go back on his word.

I would approach the professor prviately after his class ended and he had said 50 times NO, and...after getting over the surprise and wondering what the hell was the matter with me, he or she would often realize, hey, this kid really wants in the damn class. What professor doesn't want a student like that? Sometimes I had to agree to help him run the projector or do things like that for him, but who cares? I got in, and other students were sometimes visibly astounded. Probably taught some of them a valuable lesson. Even the rare professor who couldn't make extra allowances for me there usually got a great and lasting impression of me and often I got in his next class really easily or he found some way to help me out.

Rules are often much more flexible than people think they are, and often exist as little more than devices to give people deniability and protect them and "the system." As long as you're not doing anything harmful, they often don't care about the rules and know full well that lots of them are ridiculous and made to be broken. And everyone has at least a little admiration for the guy who is willing to go above and beyond. And they often make allowances for that guy they wouldn't dream of making for the average joe who is just floating indifferently through his options and duties.