PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated On Campus

Jason Strasser
04-27-2005, 03:53 AM
SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/sioncampus/04/25/poker0428/index.html)

Sluss
04-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Interesting article. Makes me wish there was online poker when I was in College. Would have made more than just $100 a week. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

IronDragon1
04-27-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flounder, who asked that his real name not be used, hits pocket rockets (pair of aces) on the flop and wins a $133 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recognize those words but that sentence doesn't make any sense.

Smarty
04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Is that the Kyle and Eric from our game last year, or different ones?

Gamblor
04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Anyone know Tom's party screen name?

DcifrThs
04-27-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tom, who has lost more than $100,000 (and is currently down $55,000) since his senior year in high school, has a ritual. He plays alone in the bedroom of his off-campus apartment. The lights are off. The door is locked. He does not eat, does not answer the phone, does not even go to the bathroom. He plays one song, Such Great Heights by the Postal Service, over and over. And he loses. "Ridiculous amounts," he says. "I'll gamble $400 a day, play 12 hours a day."

[/ QUOTE ]

so thats where the party money comes from

-Barron

jedi
04-27-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting article. Makes me wish there was online poker when I was in College. Would have made more than just $100 a week. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. I would have been so addicted that I wouldn't have been able to complete my degree. Luckly I have more self control now than I did back then.

From the article:
[ QUOTE ]

"You don't understand," says Tom, an Indiana junior who asked that his real name not be used. "Right before you flop a hand, before you win, when you know you've got the nuts [an unbeatable hand], that's the greatest rush in the world."

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? This guy needs to get laid.

[ QUOTE ]
Twoplustwo.com: Home of perhaps the most popular message boards in all of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn.

GtrHtr
04-27-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"YOU CANNOT BE DUMB AND BE GOOD AT POKER."
-- KEITH, STUDENT, CENTRAL FLORIDA

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting coming from a UCF student.

KingCon
04-27-2005, 03:40 PM
John Stolzmann understands that sentiment. In January, Stolzmann, a Wisconsin senior with a 3.5 GPA, won $1.4 million after finishing first at a tournament in Tunica, Miss. He turned pro.

"By winning I got invited to a lot of World Poker Tour events, with my buy-in exempted, for the next three years," says Stolzmann. "I couldn't really justify missing that much school to play in those events, but I couldn't really justify missing those events, either."
--------------------------------------------------------

This is what I couldnt understand, he won a Tunica tourney and now he is getting free invites to tourneys? I didnt think anyone got a free entry unless they won their way in.

And if the Poker Crew is so hot, go buy a damn felt table instead of using your moms kitchen table

Sluss
04-27-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know Tom's party screen name?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Great, just spit coke all over the monitor. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PukaPlaya
04-27-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what I couldnt understand, he won a Tunica tourney and now he is getting free invites to tourneys? I didnt think anyone got a free entry unless they won their way in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Endorsements maybe?

SossMan
04-27-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Endorsements maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's the PPT. For winning, you get a 3 year exemption.

Justin A
04-27-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is not uncommon for college students to spend 30 hours per week on one of the 250-plus Internet poker sites

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I become one of these guys? I struggle to put in 15 hours a week.

Jason, I'm assuming that's you they mention as the student from Duke?

colgin
04-27-2005, 06:24 PM
I particularly like this thought on session length:

"If I'm losing, I've got to keep playing to recoup. If I'm winning, I've got to keep playing because I'm hot."

Hmmm. How about keep playing while you have an edge and quit when you don't or have other commitments/are tired of playing. At least he's not quitting early to lock in a win.

Jason Strasser
04-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Yes my kyle and eric, who are you? (PM)

Jason Strasser
04-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Yeah.

SI is coming agian to duke tonight...

-Jason

shadow29
04-28-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"EVERY RETARD WHO WATCHED THE WORLD SERIES OF POKER ON TV AND THOUGHT, THAT'S REALLY COOL, I WANT TO PLAY POKER, IS ON PARTYPOKER.COM. SO YOU HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING."
-- ANDY MCCLURE, ALABAMA DROPOUT, TO THE CRIMSON WHITE

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, I know this guy.

Used to be sorta good friends.

Don't let the quote fool you, he's pretty damn good. 4 tables 100 NL I'm pretty sure.

NoTalent
04-29-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is not uncommon for college students to spend 30 hours per week on one of the 250-plus Internet poker sites

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I become one of these guys? I struggle to put in 15 hours a week.

Jason, I'm assuming that's you they mention as the student from Duke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Change your major to business administration.