PDA

View Full Version : theory question from low limit hand (for you math people) cross post

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:51 AM
loose passive party $2-$4 table.
I am in early MP with (4 4)
villan (new player) calls
folded to me, I call
2 LP callers (including 1 really bad player)
Big blind checks
5 to the flop

flop= 8 4 9 rainbow
villan bets $2
I smooth call
folded to very bad player who calls.

4 big bets

turn = 2 (no flush draw)

villan bets
I call (was planning on going for a raise here, but decide to smooth call again to get bad player to call also...correct thinking on this non scary board?)

7 big bets

river 10

villan bets
I raise
bad player folds
villan calls

11 big bets

My question is this. Do I want to raise the turn to eliminate the overcall (who was horrible, and probably drawing dead) and will this make it incorrect for the villan to draw to a gut shot with overcards (JQ)

Thanks

blackize
04-27-2005, 04:22 AM
With an obvious straight draw out there you want to force anyone drawing to it to make a mistake. Raising the turn does this. But since you didnt get reraised on the river you are either looking at the low end of the straight or a hand you beat rather easily.

fireman664
04-27-2005, 02:40 PM
page #177 of HEFAP (paraphrasing) In close decisions with a player betting in front of you, and a bad player yet to act. It is better to call hoping for an overcall, even if the situation typically would be leaning towards a raise. Especially a very strong hand, but one that isnt the nut. This goes on to say it should be played this way even on the river.

ps BTW, he did have JQ for the rivered gutshot nut str8, and then just called my raise lol. Then he basically said I played it horrible and didnt know what I was doing....found it funny after he missed the re-raise (that I may very well have capped since I put him on 2 pair or worse.