PDA

View Full Version : hows my play, and my river raise?

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:25 AM
loose passive party $2-$4 table.
I am in early MP with (4 4)
villan (new player) calls
folded to me, I call
2 LP callers (including 1 really bad player)
Big blind checks
5 to the flop

flop= 8 4 9 rainbow
villan bets $2
I smooth call
folded to very bad player who calls.

turn = 2 (no flush draw)

villan bets
I call (was planning on going for a raise here, but decide to smooth call again to get bad player to call also...correct thinking on this non scary board?)

river 10

villan bets
I raise
bad player folds
villan calls

good bet on the end, or call again (looking for overcall, and scared of possible str8?)

Thanks

New001
04-27-2005, 03:28 AM
I'd probably raise the flop. If they're really loose they might call the two bets anyway, and if not, there's a decent chance they wouldn't have called one. If you aren't raising the flop, definitely raise the turn. Played as you did, the river raise is good. I'd cap if he 3-bets, too.

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:31 AM
villan shows JQ for the NUTS (and no reraise). Then begins to "teach me" how I should of bet it stronger throughout the hand (he may be right though).....I let a little time pass before I said..."oh...good re-raise with the nuts, teach." Kinda felt like I was tapping the glass a little bit, but made me laugh to.

I know I got a little unlucky, but feel like my play/thinking was correct.

New001
04-27-2005, 03:34 AM
He was obviously bad, but think that if you raised the flop and led the turn, he might have folded his gutshot. Either way, even on a non-threatening board like this, I don't like slowplaying a set multiway.

shant
04-27-2005, 03:35 AM
Next time just raise the flop, or call the flop and raise the turn. Also, don't table coach. It sucks getting outdrawn, but you let them get there cheaply.

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:39 AM
yea, I normally dont either, and was waiting to raise on the turn (if no str8 card came) to kill his pot odds (fundamental therom of poker), but got greedy with the "real fish" hangin around..... I wont raise w/44 from that position, but I understand your thinking.

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:43 AM
although if I am correct, he would still be getting correct pot odds to draw to the nut gut shot with overcards even if I did raise the turn. So is it therefore correct NOT to raise, and get the overcall, or should I raise to eliminate the overcall at this point (who was horrible, and could have/probably was drawing dead??)

shant
04-27-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
although if I am correct, he would still be getting correct pot odds to draw to the nut gut shot with overcards even if I did raise the turn. So is it therefore correct NOT to raise, and get the overcall, or should I raise to eliminate the overcall at this point (who was horrible, and could have/probably was drawing dead??)

[/ QUOTE ]
This is results oriented. You don't know what he has on the turn, you don't know he's going to make his draw. You have a range of hands he may have based on reads and the board. You want him to call you with worse hands. You're raising for value to and to be paid off.

NickRegino
04-27-2005, 03:50 AM
raise the flop and come out betting the turn, aggresive play might have stopped him from outdrawing you.

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:52 AM
I actually put him on 2 pair

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:54 AM
a flop raise would have narrowed the field at this table, and I dont want this with this hand unless I KNOW i can isolate myself with a bad player, or have position with limpers in front who will call.

NickRegino
04-27-2005, 03:55 AM
then if thats the case you must raise the turn

fireman664
04-27-2005, 03:57 AM
thanks, trying to see if thats the consinses.(sp?)

NickRegino
04-27-2005, 04:03 AM
np, play well and win!! ^^ Aggressive play is always the best option, and don't wait too long to trap.

HajiShirazu
04-27-2005, 09:11 AM
A lot of hands could hit this flop for something like oesd, or overs+gutshot, remember these hands are totally live against you. If you raise the flop you can expect to get some calls so get the money in while ahead.