PDA

View Full Version : Could/Couldn't care less

ZBTHorton
04-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Just wanted to share this.

Why do people always use the phrase "I could care less" when they are talking about something they don't care about?

If you COULD care less, than that means you care at least a little bit.

You should say I COULDN'T care less. Meaning you care so little, it would be impossible to care any less.

Am I crazy?

fluxrad
04-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Words mean whatever you want them to mean.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Non_Comformist
for posting this, yes.

AlienCorpse
I couldn't care any less.

Ianco15
04-27-2005, 01:29 AM
You are correct, but you may still be crazy (that's for the experts to decide).

i wanna be me
04-27-2005, 01:39 AM
it's like people who say "you don't know nothin'"

GuyOnTilt
04-27-2005, 01:39 AM
It's definitely "I couldn't care less." I don't like when people say the opposite either.

GoT

ZBTHorton
04-27-2005, 01:44 AM
I just find it funny because you hear it everywhere, on TV.....it's not slang...we just totally say it wrong in everyday speech.

Well. I don't. But others do. =)

Tron
04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
When people say they could care less, they are obviously being sarcastic.

When people say they couldn't care less, they are being uptight nits.

Jack of Arcades
04-27-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly isn't spoken that way.

istewart
04-27-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're being [censored] retards.

Sephus
04-27-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. people don't say it sarcastically, they just aren't really thinking about what the words literally mean enough to realize that "couldn't" is the "correct" way to say it.

Gamblor
04-27-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to share this.

Why do people always use the phrase "I could care less" when they are talking about something they don't care about?

If you COULD care less, than that means you care at least a little bit.

You should say I COULDN'T care less. Meaning you care so little, it would be impossible to care any less.

Am I crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the "I could care less" is generally supposed to mean "I don't particularly care, but I suppose I could care a little less."

Although I'm fairly certain a lot of people are just retards.

On a related note, what's the deal with airplane peanuts?

istewart
04-27-2005, 02:46 AM
What's the deal with cancer?

The Dude
04-27-2005, 02:48 AM
It bugs the hell out of me when people say "I could care less." It's wrong, and it's so easy to figure out that it's wrong that I am forced to draw negative conclusions about the intellegence of those who say it that way.

_2000Flushes
04-27-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It bugs the hell out of me when people say "I could care less." It's wrong, and it's so easy to figure out that it's wrong that I am forced to draw negative conclusions about the intellegence of those who say it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.

-2kF

private joker
04-27-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

On a related note, what's the deal with airplane peanuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The packaging is generally poorly designed and cheaply made, as a method of cutting distribution costs. After all, most passengers wouldn't want a "Peanut Fee" attached to their already costly ticket prices in order to cover the expenses of higher quality wrappers. What are you complaining about, anyway? It's free food, and it's a nice snack. If you're really that bent on not enjoying the peanuts the airline so graciously provided you with, just save them and give them to the next homeless person you see. People these days are really selfish.

(credit here (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2792&p=5) )

Sponger15SB
04-27-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge nit

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Tron
04-27-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. people don't say it sarcastically, they just aren't really thinking about what the words literally mean enough to realize that "couldn't" is the "correct" way to say it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well okay then... All I know is that I'm fully aware of the "correct" way to say it and I say "I could care less" because I'm being sarcastic, and it gets a rise out of all you crybabies.

Sephus
04-27-2005, 04:06 AM
if you use a sarcastic tone, i got no problem.

Skjonne
04-27-2005, 04:09 AM
How about "I could of cared less about you're opinion"? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Dude
04-27-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge nit [ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Look, slang has its uses. Shortcuts in speech and type have their uses. But the inability to understand what the words you speak mean is inexcusable. This isn't difficult. You don't need an english degree to figure out how to say it correctly. How can so many "educated" adults stumble on something any reasonably intellegent middle schooler could correct them on? It's ridiculous.

The Dude
04-27-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Although the message itself would make sense in a sarcastic tone, in context it will only very rarely fit.

The Truth
04-27-2005, 04:25 AM
If I were to say "I could care less"
The meaning would be that I dont care very much at all about what you are saying, but I guess its possible that I could care less about something else. So what you are saying sucks, but but i guess some other stuff sucks more.

The Dude
04-27-2005, 04:35 AM
re: the phrase "I could care less"

“an ignorant debasement of language”
-William and Mary Morris, in the Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage, 1975.

The correct form of this phrase is originally British, but by the time it got to the American masses we butchered it pretty badly. Why? Because the average American is a moron who sufferes from the need to speak regardless of whether or not he has anything intellegent to say.

Tron
04-27-2005, 04:37 AM
http://g.sheetmusicplus.com/Look-Inside/covers/WB-PVM03015.jpg

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

purnell
04-27-2005, 05:25 AM
People who say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" are lazy or illiterate.

Sephus
04-27-2005, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Although the message itself would make sense in a sarcastic tone, in context it will only very rarely fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not always appropriate to use sarcasm but i think "very rarely" is a gross misunderestimation.