PDA

View Full Version : HU Hand---How Would You Play It?

EasilyFound
04-26-2005, 10:54 PM
What would you do here? And why.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t2555)
Hero (t5445)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t2000) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t755</font>, Hero ???

nebben
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
folds. wait for another spot.

Jacob_Gilliam
04-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Folds.

TheUsher
04-26-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What would you do here? And why.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t2555)
Hero (t5445)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t2000) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t755</font>, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Push pre-flop, and at the very least, call that flop. If you folded this, let me introduce you to the stop n go. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scuba Chuck
04-26-2005, 11:31 PM
First thing first. You raised, because you wanted him to call/play. Viewing this hand, Button realizes you've made a mistake. So he does a stopNgo with any two cards. No matter what, you're objective here is to get him in the pot, he helped you, and now you should call.

Don't make this mistake again (or realize, this was your intent.).

EasilyFound
04-27-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First thing first. You raised, because you wanted him to call/play. Viewing this hand, Button realizes you've made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mistake to which you refer was not pushing preflop, is that what you're saying?

Voltron87
04-27-2005, 09:58 AM
very easy push pf.

ripped
04-27-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
very easy push pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

EasilyFound
04-28-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First thing first. You raised, because you wanted him to call/play. Viewing this hand, Button realizes you've made a mistake. So he does a stopNgo with any two cards. No matter what, you're objective here is to get him in the pot, he helped you, and now you should call.

Don't make this mistake again (or realize, this was your intent.).

[/ QUOTE ]

i raised him all-in, thinking that he was using a stop-n-go. he was playing K-T and took down the pot.

mikeyKay
04-28-2005, 08:54 AM
im new to these forums, and dont understand why pushing is the right move. it seems like the hero only raised that much pre flop to be able to get away from it (i dont know if thats the right play or not). once the villian comes out betting, and you dont have a piece of the flop, why would you push drawing to likely 3 outs, at best 6 outs, and ahead very few times? seems like you are begging to double him up.

-mike

curtains
04-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Do not raise the amount you raised with any hands here. You should move allin if you are going to raise...this alone should make you a lot of money compared to how you are playing now. It's simply terrible to give your opponent the pot odds to see a flop in a spot like this, and the chance to bluff you out postflop with a stop+go.

It's not like you have AA, and the blinds are so high that you want your opponent to fold with almost all hands except for dominated ones (Hands like A3, which they won't fold anyway unless they are stupid)

In conclusion, Raising to 1000 is a terrible headsup strategy in these situations.

EasilyFound
04-28-2005, 11:47 PM
my heads up play has been terrible. i'm always coming in second. i genuinely don't understand how to play in this spot or why pushing is the best option here. why that makes the most money instead of raising and planning to to stop-n-go, which was my strategy. i likely have the best hand starting. if i push, and my guy folds, i win the blinds, but nothing more. at least that is how i see it.

when do you not push and raise t1000? when you have AA or big pocket pair?

i know this sounds dumb, but i am truly at a loss how to play heads up. when to limp, push, and raise something less.

just lost.

someone help me see the light.

Nottom
04-29-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my heads up play has been terrible. i'm always coming in second. i genuinely don't understand how to play in this spot or why pushing is the best option here. why that makes the most money instead of raising and planning to to stop-n-go, which was my strategy. i likely have the best hand starting. if i push, and my guy folds, i win the blinds, but nothing more. at least that is how i see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds are huge thats good.

A9 looks like a great hand heads up, but in reality you are probably no better than a 60/40 favorite. The blinds are usually worth about as much or more than your EV playing the hand if your oppoent calls, especially if he is able to make you fold the best hand postflop.

After putting in 1000, you should pretty much always be prepared to put in the rest of your chips, so just go ahead and put them all in to begin with and force yout opponent to make the tough decision.

[ QUOTE ]

when do you not push and raise t1000? when you have AA or big pocket pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try never for a while. (There may be times when other raises are profitable, but identifying those spots comes with experience. Keep it simple and always push for now.)

[ QUOTE ]

i know this sounds dumb, but i am truly at a loss how to play heads up. when to limp, push, and raise something less.

just lost.

someone help me see the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what we are here for.

EasilyFound
04-29-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep it simple and always push for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that my play, for each hand, should be to either push or fold? If so, what hands am I doing this with? Any Ace, King, or Queen or better?

Is there ever a time when you try to see a flop cheap? Limping in the small blind or checking if your opponent limps? Or is the idea to push in those spots when your opponent appears weak?

Freudian
04-29-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im new to these forums, and dont understand why pushing is the right move. it seems like the hero only raised that much pre flop to be able to get away from it (i dont know if thats the right play or not). once the villian comes out betting, and you dont have a piece of the flop, why would you push drawing to likely 3 outs, at best 6 outs, and ahead very few times? seems like you are begging to double him up.

-mike

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason pushing is the right move is that you only have a ~30% chance of hitting a pair on the flop and the other guy is first to act. If you are going to fold to a bet from him, you are basically throwing chips away.

With pushing we eliminate this, and also increase the incentive for the other guy to fold. You might get a worse hand to call for all of his chips also.