PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some comedians...

Redmen62
04-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I've put some Mitch Hedberg stuff on my iPod recently and it's nice to have on there in addition to the music. Who are some other comedians funny enough to devote precious iPod real estate to? Hedberg works especially well because his style is suited to 2 to 4 minute tracks, I'd rather not fill my disk with one-hour performances.

Always a good source for music recommendations, hit me with the best recorded comedy I've never heard of (or forgotten about).

Los Feliz Slim
04-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Patton Oswalt

daryn
04-26-2005, 09:26 PM
jimmy pardo

a500lbgorilla
04-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Pablo Fansisco
Steve Lynch

Alobar
04-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Bill Hicks is a genius.

Joe Rogan is funny as hell.

Zeno
04-26-2005, 09:37 PM
David Sklansky

^

ClassicBob
04-26-2005, 09:54 PM
David Cross
Demetri Martin

The Stranger
04-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Stephen Wright, but I can't find any of his stuff on CD or on iTunes music store.

I like Ron White a lot, but many people don't.

drexah
04-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Dane Cook CD, its called "Harmful if Swallowed" its the only CD i own that isnt music, and its one of my favorite.

drexah
04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
oh and DEFINITELY george carlin

x2ski
04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Ron White a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

Zoelef
04-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Lewis Black, if you /images/graemlins/heart.gif iconoclasm.

Redmen62
04-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Liking David Cross, Dane Cook not so much.

deacsoft
04-26-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

krazyace5
04-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Larry the cable guy

Gishaclaus
04-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Dave Attell

Uston
04-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Eddie Izzard and Jim Norton, although I have no clue if Norton has any CD's out.

bicyclekick
04-26-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

George Carlin is definately my favorite comedian by a pretty wide margin.

A great album is "jammin' in New York". you are all diseased is also good. [censored], they're all good.

IndieMatty
04-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Lewis Black, Brian Regan, Dane Cooke, Eddie Izzard, Little Jimmy Norton.

AquaSeaFoam
04-26-2005, 11:04 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Sam Kinison

kerssens
04-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Brian Regan and Nick Swardson

contentless
04-26-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nick Swardson

[/ QUOTE ]

YES

I'm not lame like those people who only quote the post. It's all about the value added.

zimmer879
Dave Chappelle
Jim Gaffigan
Brian Regan

AquaSeaFoam
[ QUOTE ]
Pablo Fansisco

[/ QUOTE ]

very funny guy

purnell
04-26-2005, 11:28 PM
"Bill Hicks is a genius."

since you alrady said...

shant
04-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Dane Cook is a must. Also, Dave Chappelle and Atelle.

shant
04-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Also, Eddie Murphy's Delirious and Raw are classics that are great for listening.

Aicirt
04-26-2005, 11:34 PM
its actually Pablo Francisco...
but yes, he is damn funny.

I would also have to agree with Carlin.

Aicirt

Ringo_Mojo
04-26-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

since you alrady said...

[/ QUOTE ]

It can't really be said enough.

miajag81
04-26-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nick Swardson

[/ QUOTE ]

YES

I'm not lame like those people who only quote the post. It's all about the value added.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that. His Comedy Central special was gold.

Turkish
04-27-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Larry the cable guy

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your joking.

sin808
04-27-2005, 12:28 AM
favs: gabriel iglesias, carlos mencia, eddie izzard, ron white.
robin williams live on broadway was good.

Alobar
04-27-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

since you alrady said...

[/ QUOTE ]

It can't really be said enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you imagine what he would have to say about the state of the world if he were still alive, heh.

jesusarenque
04-27-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Larry the cable guy

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderwes
04-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Lewis Black, Richard Pryor, and one my new favorites, Ron White.

Skipbidder
04-27-2005, 01:23 AM
I was planning on nominating Steven Lynch. I see that others have already done so. I'll also second Bill Hicks and Lewis Black.

For someone not yet listed, try Heywood Banks (singer) or Emo Philips.

BruinEric
04-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Patton Oswalt

Todd Barry

Dave Attell

BruinEric
04-27-2005, 01:33 AM
I think it worth adding that Bill Hicks, Lewis Black, and David Cross often do political comedy and sociological commentary from a left-wing point of view.

Many comics sprinkle in some political stuff, but it is a large portion of the material for the above three.

This may be to your liking or not, but its worth knowing going in. If you're hungry for a bunch of George W Bush jokes, then David Cross is your man.

dengar
04-27-2005, 02:04 AM
jim norton.

zephed56
04-27-2005, 09:41 AM
I just saw Frank Caliendo at the IMPROV, he was very funny.

<john madden voice>Now, you see, you've got a guy here who is funny...like brett farve, brett farve could...</john madden voice>

stigmata
04-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Anyone mentioned Bill Hicks?

Eddie Izzard, Peter Kay, oh, and Bill Hicks.

MrMoo
04-27-2005, 02:07 PM
If you like Mitch Hedberg, you'll most likely also enjoy Brian Regan and Dane Cook.

mjohnson406
04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Doug Stanhope

tek
04-27-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Sam Kinison

[/ QUOTE ]

He's dead. I'd go with Andy Kaufman. No, he's dead too. How 'bout Lenny Bruce? n/m

YourFoxyGrandma
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Cosby.

EDIT: Also, Sean Cullen (for some musical comedy) and Zach Galifianakis. Annnd Greg Giraldo is funny too.

luckyharr
04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Louis C.K.

He has some good stuff on his web site. Try the "hell" and "white trash" MP3's.

MicroBob
04-27-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wednesday, April 27, 2005
WSOP identification requirements: A conversation with Lee Jones

I wouldn't subject most people to the conversations I have via IM every day, but an issue has come up that PokerStars players will want to be aware of. If you're one of the thousands of people vying for a World Series of Poker seat, you need to be sure the name you have registered with PokerStars is the same name as is on your drivers license or passport. It may sound sort of obvious, but there are people who play on shared accounts.

Rather than try to fancy up the contents of a conversation I had with Poker Room Manager Lee Jones today, I thought I'd just post it here (with Lee's permission, of course).

Brad Willis says:
Lee, I had somebody ask me about what kind of ID they need to play in the WSOP. You know anything?

LeeJ says:
Hi Brad - yes, all of our players will have to produce government identification (driver's license or passport) at the WSOP to be seated.

LeeJ says:
But there's more...

LeeJ says:
When a player wins a WSOP satellite at PokerStars, we use the name on their account to register them with the WSOP.

LeeJ says:
It is *EXTREMELY* important that the name on the account matches the name on the driver's license.

LeeJ says:
If it doesn't, that person won't be playing in the WSOP

LeeJ says:
Furthermore, we will NOT be able to change the registered name once we send it to Harrahs' staff at the WSOP.

Brad Willis says:
Wow, that could cause a problem if, say, a guy was playing under his dad's registered name.

LeeJ says:
Right. This is exactly what we don't want to happen. Please tell your readers: if you win a seat in a WSOP satellite at PokerStars and the name on your account is not your name, you need to contact security@pokerstars.com immediately and get the problem straightened out.

LeeJ says:
If you wait until you get to the Rio, you won't be playing in the WSOP.

Brad Willis says:
So, you're saying if it has happened already, they can get it worked out, but it has to be worked out NOW.

LeeJ says:
We can usually work out something at this point. We have NO HOPE of working something out in Las Vegas.

Brad Willis says:
I suppose we should also let folks know that if they are playing in a qualifier, they should be doing it on their own account so they don't run into this problem.

LeeJ says:
That's an extremely good point - thank you for bringing it up. If you and your husband both play on an account, please contact support@pokerstars.com and arrange to get a second account. We're happy to do that, but we need each person to have his or her own account.

Brad Willis says:
Great. Anything else you can think of that people should know about this?

LeeJ says:
I think that's it - thank you for the chance to get this information out. We don't want any problems for anybody at the WSOP - we want them to concentrate on playing poker!

Brad Willis says:
I hear that. Thanks Lee. I'll let everybody know tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have a Steven Wright record ('I have a Pony') in one of my boxes. But I don't have a record-player.

Saw him in concert a couple years ago and my laughter was so hard that I was making noises I had never heard myself make before. Absolutely uncontrollable laughter.

It was at a convention-banquet type-thing....so I was about the only person there who knew who he was.
Interesting to see the reactions of a bunch of people who were not familiar with him (as opposed to a normal concert where he obviously would attract fans who already thought he was terrific).

Some young guys who were with me thought he was really stupid and I was pretty surprised.
At the table next to us I saw this stuffy kind of snobbish- looking 80-year-oldish guy laughing so hard I thought he was actually going to have a heart-attack right there. Seriously, his face was turning all purple and his wife was really worried about him.

He was trying to calm down and catch his breath and then Steven Wright would say something else really ridiculous and he would laugh even harder.

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wednesday, April 27, 2005
WSOP identification requirements: A conversation with Lee Jones

I wouldn't subject most people to the conversations I have via IM every day, but an issue has come up that PokerStars players will want to be aware of. If you're one of the thousands of people vying for a World Series of Poker seat, you need to be sure the name you have registered with PokerStars is the same name as is on your drivers license or passport. It may sound sort of obvious, but there are people who play on shared accounts.

Rather than try to fancy up the contents of a conversation I had with Poker Room Manager Lee Jones today, I thought I'd just post it here (with Lee's permission, of course).

Brad Willis says:
Lee, I had somebody ask me about what kind of ID they need to play in the WSOP. You know anything?

LeeJ says:
Hi Brad - yes, all of our players will have to produce government identification (driver's license or passport) at the WSOP to be seated.

LeeJ says:
But there's more...

LeeJ says:
When a player wins a WSOP satellite at PokerStars, we use the name on their account to register them with the WSOP.

LeeJ says:
It is *EXTREMELY* important that the name on the account matches the name on the driver's license.

LeeJ says:
If it doesn't, that person won't be playing in the WSOP

LeeJ says:
Furthermore, we will NOT be able to change the registered name once we send it to Harrahs' staff at the WSOP.

Brad Willis says:
Wow, that could cause a problem if, say, a guy was playing under his dad's registered name.

LeeJ says:
Right. This is exactly what we don't want to happen. Please tell your readers: if you win a seat in a WSOP satellite at PokerStars and the name on your account is not your name, you need to contact security@pokerstars.com immediately and get the problem straightened out.

LeeJ says:
If you wait until you get to the Rio, you won't be playing in the WSOP.

Brad Willis says:
So, you're saying if it has happened already, they can get it worked out, but it has to be worked out NOW.

LeeJ says:
We can usually work out something at this point. We have NO HOPE of working something out in Las Vegas.

Brad Willis says:
I suppose we should also let folks know that if they are playing in a qualifier, they should be doing it on their own account so they don't run into this problem.

LeeJ says:
That's an extremely good point - thank you for bringing it up. If you and your husband both play on an account, please contact support@pokerstars.com and arrange to get a second account. We're happy to do that, but we need each person to have his or her own account.

Brad Willis says:
Great. Anything else you can think of that people should know about this?

LeeJ says:
I think that's it - thank you for the chance to get this information out. We don't want any problems for anybody at the WSOP - we want them to concentrate on playing poker!

Brad Willis says:
I hear that. Thanks Lee. I'll let everybody know tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf???

SossMan
04-27-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pablo Fansisco

[/ QUOTE ]

very funny guy

[/ QUOTE ]

is he the guy who does the "movie voice guy"? if so, he's damn funny.

Stickmn24
04-27-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pablo Fansisco

[/ QUOTE ]

very funny guy

[/ QUOTE ]

is he the guy who does the "movie voice guy"? if so, he's damn funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's him.

If you've got Francisco and Caliendo, you'll be laughing for a while (unless you really don't like impressionists).

anisotropy
04-27-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lewis Black, if you /images/graemlins/heart.gif iconoclasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Black on Broadway is superb.

Jman28
04-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Hedberg, Chappelle, David Cross, Seinfeld, Maria Bamford, and Sean Cullen are in my collection.

-Jman28

mjohnson406
04-27-2005, 07:32 PM
surprised that no one has mentioned Richard Pryor yet