PDA

View Full Version : boxscores and whatnot

pryor15
04-26-2005, 05:10 PM
i'm doing some stat analysis for my roto pitching, lets call it "operation fix my pitching staff" and i'm trying to do 2 things: 1. figure out a Ground ball % from the info in the boxscores. 2. does anyone know if the G/F numbers include hits? example from last night: Woody Williams 30 BF, 2 BB, 7K, 7GB, 7FB. can i assume those other 7 are line drives?

kerssens
04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
How many hits did he give up? 7?

tbach24
04-26-2005, 05:14 PM
8 H, 2 BB, 7 K, 7 GB and 7 FB (I'm assuming that you were correct on the GB and FB) = 31 BF.

woody (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5025)

here's why it was 30: GIDP - M Alou.

M2d
04-26-2005, 05:15 PM
not sure about where you get your stats, but, on official scoresheets, a pea-rod at the third baseman's melon (that he miraculously catches) and a poopie pop-up to the third baseman are scored the same-F5. I'm guessing the other seven are base hits?

pryor15
04-26-2005, 05:26 PM
i don't think a GIDP would affect the BF, would it? whoever hit before alou is represented (a BB or a H), and he's represented (GB), so the 31 leads me to believe the 7 are line drives. i know when i scored my bro's little league i'd record a line drive to the 3b as L5, not F5, but that's little league.

actually, if they are line drives, that be even better for my project...

FishNChips
04-26-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm a roto geek myself (more football then baseball), but this is friggin insane. It doesn't matter if they are fly balls or ground balls ... are they getting people out?

Are there really that many quality pitchers available in your league that you're going to be able to determine which one to pick up based on GB% vs FB%? How precise does it need to be (statistically speaking) to be meaningful?

Also... the point about "pea-rods" vs poopie pop ups both = F5 is right on the money. If its caught in the air its a fly ball no matter how hard its hit.

damn I miss college!
FishNChips

tbach24
04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think a GIDP would affect the BF, would it? whoever hit before alou is represented (a BB or a H), and he's represented (GB), so the 31 leads me to believe the 7 are line drives. i know when i scored my bro's little league i'd record a line drive to the 3b as L5, not F5, but that's little league.

actually, if they are line drives, that be even better for my project...

[/ QUOTE ]

GIDP creats two outs. But would only show up once in the box score. So, there is your answer.

pryor15
04-26-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there really that many quality pitchers available in your league that you're going to be able to determine which one to pick up based on GB% vs FB%? How precise does it need to be (statistically speaking) to be meaningful?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a 16 team keeper league where the first 7 or 8 picks in the draft are all from the june draft and there are actually rules against drafting players still in college or HS b/c people have tried.

statistically, the G/F ratio that indicates if they are a groundball pitcher or not can be pretty important depending on the team's defense (a GB pitcher would be better served w/ LA's D from last year than Boston's, for example) or park (colorado, anyone?), but can also be used to determine in a pitcher is "pitching better than his numbers" (i.e. getting unlucky--groundballs finding holes, etc, since a pretty standard % of batted balls become hits, other variables aside) in a lot of ways it's similar to +/- EV in terms of a pitcher just "running good" as opposed to bad. basically, it can help you determine if performance is a variance that will come back to the middle or a real improvement.

the poker equivalent: is this guy just hitting flops, or did he tighten up his starting requirements?

FishNChips
04-26-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's a 16 team keeper league where the first 7 or 8 picks in the draft are all from the june draft and there are actually rules against drafting players still in college or HS b/c people have tried.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm calling the geek patrol because this is absolutely INSANE! I couldnt' name 2 players from the June draft last year if you spotted me 1 and the last name of the 2nd player and you guys are having an 8 rd draft for them and college/HS players are not allowed (and this has been pressure tested). I swear I miss college!

My question remains though : lets say you are able to get this info, lets say that you create a program that pulls all the box scores from whereever, turns them into text, imports the data, spits out a report for you to have with your bagel/coffee/sportscenter every morning at noon when you drag your lazy college arse out of bed (yes, I'm jealous) -- are there enough pitchers out there that having this info would allow you to make a reasonable move?

Good Luck In this Quest!
FishNChips
A Fish and His Chips Are Soon Parted!

pryor15
04-26-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm calling the geek patrol because this is absolutely INSANE! I couldnt' name 2 players from the June draft last year if you spotted me 1 and the last name of the 2nd player

[/ QUOTE ]

jared weaver and ______ drew

[ QUOTE ]
and you guys are having an 8 rd draft for them and college/HS players are not allowed (and this has been pressure tested). I swear I miss college!

[/ QUOTE ]

1st 7 or 8 overall. oh, and i'm not in college. indie filmmaker. i do this while i'm editing.

[ QUOTE ]
are there enough pitchers out there that having this info would allow you to make a reasonable move?

[/ QUOTE ]

i use it more on my existing players, since there are precious few free agents of value. it's so competitive that the real value is in roster management, finding cheap sleepers (yeah, there's a salary cap), and selling high and buying low in trades. (i.e. last year i took a gamble on jaret wright as a FA, based on some encouraging numbers, got a 15 win season out of him, then traded him in the off-season for troy glaus when wright signed w/ NY, b/c it didn't look like a good fit for him--stuff like that's the difference between 1st and 9th in this league)

of course it's a bit insane, but i find the number crunching interesting and it's a nice change of pace from my 9-5.