PDA

View Full Version : deception in low stakes NLHE article

schwza
04-26-2005, 05:10 PM
the author writes

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a fairly strong hand, I'll bet fairly strong. If I have a strong hand, I'll bet strongly. If I have a very strong hand, I'll bet very strongly. And this is pretty much the norm at lower level games like this, so I'll be in good company.

[/ QUOTE ]

the context here is not that he's suggesting taking this line (bigger bets for bigger hands) but he is suggesting that's common among bad players.

i've seen no evidence of that.

blackize
04-27-2005, 04:18 AM
Among bad players at the lowest level games on Party this approach is very common. But I do firmly believe that deception in the form of bluffing is almost useless in low limit NLHE and that table image is even more useless.

ptmusic
05-01-2005, 05:20 PM
I find the worst players to be even worse than that. They are simply calling stations. They call any move you make if they have anything. They don't bet big when they have something big (but not because they are tricky). They actually aren't that easy to play against sometimes.

The simply bad players play like the author suggests. They are easy to play.

Then there are some good, solid, yet tricky players even at the low stakes Party tourneys. I like to think I'm one of them!

-ptmusic

warlockjd
05-02-2005, 03:05 AM
I disagree with this article almost entirely.

For some perspective, I play 6 max $400 NL on Party ($2/4 blinds). If I have a weak hand, I am betting strongly; If I have a medium hand, I am betting strongly; If I have a monster, I am betting strongly; If I have a gutshot with position, I am betting strongly. If I decide to bluff, I am bluffing strongly.

Anyone with me here? Perhaps this is just a more 6 max view, or perhaps I have a lot to learn. I am interested in others' viewpoints.

grimel
05-03-2005, 02:55 AM
I just played a $1 SNG on UB. The only diff for most of them was they tend to slow play AA and KK and go buck wild with 93, 32, etc.

Betting AA heavy triggers a "he's bluffing" call >50%. I pushed with quad J's (figured it was good on the turn /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) had 2 callers with nada.

Klak
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
i think he wouldnt consider 2/4 to be low stakes.

Scuba Chuck
05-11-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only diff for most of them was they tend to slow play AA and KK and go buck wild with 93, 32, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very common mistake with beginners. Overvalue poor hands, and under value big hands.