PDA

View Full Version : To HDPM; This One Sort of Makes Me Gag

John Cole
11-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Available on-line from the NRA store, believe it or not, infant bibs! Can't you just see it now: a bit of conflict resolution between pre-schoolers carrying protest signs and infants drooling down their very own NRA bibs.

Shame!

John

Jimbo
11-13-2002, 06:21 PM
John,

Are they made of kevlar? If so the primary reason might be safety rather than a pro gun message. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

HDPM
11-13-2002, 06:41 PM
That's pretty bad. I do confess that the last couple of years I have been lobbying to use NRA Christmas cards. My wife has vetoed them, but I really want to use them. Two years ago they had a ridiculous one of Santa raising the American flag on a serene Christmas morning. I thought it was hilarious and wanted all our friends and relatives to get it. No such luck. I was thinking about checking out their website for this year's selection. He he.

I also must confess that I go to NRA fundraising banquets some years. I never win a good prize like a gun, but did win an NRA pocketknife in a raffle. I also bought a hideous NRA rug in the auction one year. I got home late after the unlimited donated beer for $10 fundraising promotion and put the thing right by the front door. I got to hear my wife's reaction when she saw it the next day. If you want the rug I will gladly pay shipping to get it out of my house. There is no good place for an NRA rug. The dog won't even lie on it/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

HDPM
11-13-2002, 06:52 PM
I like this better. kiddie shirt. (http://store.nrahq.org/nra/product.asp?dept%5Fid=119&pf%5Fid=SS+362)

John Cole
11-13-2002, 07:05 PM
My question: Why aren't they in day-glo orange and camouflage? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

BTW, I believe in teaching children when their cognitive abilities have developed to a point where children are capable of understanding. I, too, find kids used as anti-war protestors a bit too much, but I suppose my objection is based on their parents treating them as little adults, not children.

John

11-13-2002, 07:33 PM
don't be so quick to judge, if the posts the last couple of days about Tupac Shakir having such an influence on the latest batch of teenagers is correct and we have nothing but a bunch of thugs running around, you better train your infants to shoot a gun at a young age.

Boris
11-13-2002, 08:13 PM
Why do you think it's shameful? Do you think it's bad to influence your child's political opinions?

Ray Zee
11-13-2002, 11:29 PM
the day glow orange is best, as chidren make wonderful human shields. few will shoot them, and they are lite enough to carry around and place in front of you. also they can be replaced at little cost. and since the cost of raising through college is over $300,000, the risk of losing some in battle is nominal.

p.s. for the idiots out there-- i am kidding

Jimbo
11-14-2002, 12:56 AM
Ray,

That is by far the funniest post I have ever seen you make!
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

John Cole
11-14-2002, 08:20 AM
Boris,

No, I don't think it's bad to influence your children's political opinions, but pre-schoolers cannot hold political "opinions" or make political decisions. Stick an NRA bib on an infant and you've made a political decision, in the process, turning your baby into a mewling, puking advertisement.

Of course, The National Review's article is completely disingenuous. The questions they ask of pre-schoolers could not be answered by many high school students. If their point is to prove that these kids lack political savvy, well, they knew that already--or at least should have. In the same way that those children's parents used their children, The National Review used them, too. And both uses are overtly political. I just don't agree that children should be used that way by either side.

John

brad
11-14-2002, 03:16 PM
to be serious though, police pepper sprayed women and children point blank at a recent protest (totally unprovoked , by the way. )

later, or during , or whatever, the police boldy stated that if they didnt want their kids pepper sprayed then they shouldnt bring them to a political rally.

(most places now also have 'designated protest zones' also. if you stray from them you will be attacked by police). also these zones are typically far removed from what the people are protesting. people are charged with things like blocking the sidewalk, or even just being outside the designated protest zones.

totally serious.

Jimbo
11-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Brad,

You have a link to this dastardly deed?

brad
11-14-2002, 03:51 PM
ok, ill post it in the next couple days these stories are quite numerous.

i dont know if i can get the exact story where the police say dont bring kids if to a pepper spray i mean protest (zone).

brad
11-14-2002, 03:56 PM
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/

this is a good site for news stories of that kind.

brad
11-14-2002, 04:56 PM
http://portland.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=18010&group=webcast

We asked the oficer closest to us how we should exit the intersection. He pointed and said to exit to the NE, into the spraying police opposite him. as the crowd pressed toward us I yelled to him to let us through (south on 2nd) because we had three small children. He looked at me, and drew out his can from his hip and sprayed directly at me. I was at an angle to him and the spray hit my right eye and our three year-old who I was holding in my right arm. In the same motion he turned the can on my wife who was holding our 10 month old baby and doused both of their heads entirely from a distance of less than 3 feet. my six year old daughter was holding my left hand and was not hit directly. We ended up on the sidewalk a few feet down alder with fellow protesters holding my screaming children and and pouring water on our eyes. Someone yelled that the police had said that we could pass through the cordon on alder with the children. I picked up the baby and other protesters brought my wife and other children to the police line. We attempted to pass through but they leaned in shoulders to block us. I yelled at them to let us pass for about two minutes and finally some officer up the line nodded me and the baby through. they were not going to let my wife and other children out but after a few minutes of pleading from the crowd and another signal from up the line they let them out. As we passed the officers were laughing and said something to the effect of "thats why you shouldn't bring kids to protests".

Jimbo
11-14-2002, 05:04 PM
So Brad what you are saying this protestor defied an order from a policeman and got pepper sprayed! Sorry fella it seems reasonable to me, particularly the reasoning about bringing children to a protest. It is akin to Saddham using civillians to shield his military targets, although to a much lesser degree.

Sometimes the innocent children suffer to the adults ignorance. I agree that it is sad but sadder still is that a protestor would blame a peace officer for something he instigated.

Now this post should put an end to all this talk about me being a bleeding heart liberal! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

brad
11-14-2002, 05:10 PM
'He pointed and said to exit to the NE, into the spraying police opposite him.'

run towards the fire doesnt apply here, jimbo.

in any case if i were a police thug i wouldnt pepper spray an infant in any case (point blank range it was no accident), but i guess thats why im not one.

Jimbo
11-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Brad,

Did you look at the pictures attached to that article? I guarantee you have never been within 100 feet of pepper spray if you think those folks just got sprayed in the face with it! Besides I find it a little odd that there was no way to exit except to be pepper sprayed. I believe the poster took a bit of poetic license regarding this entire episode.

brad
11-14-2002, 06:07 PM
just wait until u have 2 go thru checkpoints to get anywhere.

11-14-2002, 06:53 PM
You had me going to the half-moon with that one!!!!

Jimbo
11-14-2002, 07:05 PM
Brad,

I have been through way to many checkpoints in my life protected with armed guards to be intimidated by a little pepper spray. However neither am I likely to disobey a police officer in a potentially explosive situation like a public protest. In fact if I happen to be at a public protest I assure you I will not have any children with me nor would I provoke any retaliation by disobeying a seemingly lawful order.

brad
11-14-2002, 10:13 PM
not what i meant

Ray Zee
11-14-2002, 10:13 PM
it is happening and its really sad when the police make the law instead of enforcing it. they do not have the right to interpet what they think we should do in our actions. they are to folow the law. unfortunately most police do not even know what the laws are.
in the portland incident they sprayed all kinds of people that were just protesting and were totally non violent.