PDA

View Full Version : questions for lacrosse players

lucas9000
04-26-2005, 03:09 PM
i played in high school (graduated 96) and haven't played any organized lacrosse since then (i play attack/midfield btw...no face-offs, and not long-stick middie). i'm going to join a post-collegiate league now though, so i need to "catch up." i have to get all new equipment, and i'm putting together a new stick.

heads i'm thinking about getting: brine cyber or vapor, stx proton...any of them particularly prone to breakage? any other suggestions? i've ordered a warrior alloy 2000 shaft and i'll string the thing myself, so i'm just interested in info/advice about the head itself.

recommendations/advice for gloves and helmets? fwiw, i used to wear stx gloves, and i have kind of a big head.

thanks!

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 03:13 PM
pm Gamblor.

DireWolf
04-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Um, I had a vapor for a while. I liked it, but its kind of flimsy so if your worried about it breaking that might be a concern. Right now i really like warrior heads. The evo and evo pro are both very nice.

For helmets i would get a cascade. there probably the oldest/most respected. You don't have to get a top of the line one either.

For Gloves i use STX gladiators, i really like them but they are a bit pricy. Do you have any lacrosse stores around? If you do i would try some gloves on. Some brands just didn't feel good so it might make a difference.

Where do you live?

lucas9000
04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, I had a vapor for a while. I liked it, but its kind of flimsy so if your worried about it breaking that might be a concern. Right now i really like warrior heads. The evo and evo pro are both very nice.

For helmets i would get a cascade. there probably the oldest/most respected. You don't have to get a top of the line one either.

For Gloves i use STX gladiators, i really like them but they are a bit pricy. Do you have any lacrosse stores around? If you do i would try some gloves on. Some brands just didn't feel good so it might make a difference.

Where do you live?

[/ QUOTE ]

i live in denver and i'm sure there's stores around here. i was mostly looking for peoples' advice based on their experiences with stuff (thus, info i can't find out just by going into the store).

DireWolf
04-26-2005, 03:37 PM
yeah, Well like i said for heads, i had a vapor and it was allright. I like the warrior heads a lot better. They are pinched more and a lot more stable.

lucas9000
04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, Well like i said for heads, i had a vapor and it was allright. I like the warrior heads a lot better. They are pinched more and a lot more stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok cool i will look into those. they were barely making heads when i was playing, so i have zero experience with them. i always hated brine's, so i wonder if they've gotten any better in the past almost 10 years.

DireWolf
04-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah, To tell you the truth, i don't know that much about equipment, but figured i would be one of the more knowledgeable on this thread. Thats cool that your getting back into it.

crosse91
04-27-2005, 02:14 AM
BAH on warrior crap-get a debeer icon-they're really nice for attack/midfield, great release and hold (super narrow)

Gamblor
04-27-2005, 02:40 AM
i'm thinking about getting: brine cyber or vapor, stx proton

I'm very old school. I still use the same model sticks I grew up with; every time they break i just buy a new one. I have 4 sticks in full rotation:

I have a Mohawk Thunder I used mainly for box lacrosse, but it made a great field stick. It's heavy and stiff, but it's great for those quick scoops you need when on attack (I played attack in field lax).

Our team got demo Protons from STX and by midseason, everyone had thrown out their old sticks. And while it was a field team, it was made up almost entirely of box players who are obnoxiously fickle about their sticks.

Proton was really popular. We did have a few breaks though if I recall. We also had a deal with Warrior and not a single player was willing to use one.

My other two sticks are a pinched originalBrine edge and a pinched deBeer Shockwave. I love 'em both.

all my sticks use leathers and boot lace (not that nylon [censored])

As far as gloves go, we were issued Brine X22s and didn't really have a choice. I liked em, I still use em.

Tron
04-27-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Where do you live?

[/ QUOTE ]

i live in denver and i'm sure there's stores around here. i was mostly looking for peoples' advice based on their experiences with stuff (thus, info i can't find out just by going into the store).

[/ QUOTE ]

LaxWorld in Cherry Creek is a good one. They seem to know what they're doing.

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm very old school. I still use the same model sticks I grew up with; every time they break i just buy a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd love to do that but i don't think they even make my favorite anymore. the closest looks like the stx x2+, but that has the forward cantilever that wasn't around back in the day.

drexah
04-27-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm currently a senior in HS and i've played all four years on varsity as attack (started almost 1/2 the games as a freshman) and am planning on playing in college, most likely D2. I currently use a Warrior KrypoPro shaft, Warrior EvoPro head, brine ventilator X gloves, Cascade CPX helmet. These are basically all of the newest and best equiptment and will run you up pretty steep. other . for the helmet though a cascade CPRO or CPX is definitely your best bet, very sleek, light, and protective. personally for my head i use hard mesh with a V pocket and two shooting strings and 1 nylon, getting tighter gradually as the strings go up. all of the equiptment i listed are very durable, and the shaft you are talking about (warrior alloy 2000) is pretty damn cheap but i think it might last you a while, gl!

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the shaft you are talking about (warrior alloy 2000) is pretty damn cheap but i think it might last you a while, gl!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it was less than $20, with shipping, on ebay so i basically said why not give it a try. nothing to lose really.

crosse91
04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
the alloy2000 is one heavy bitch, and it'll probably break in half with one good check, splurge and get an F15 (or similiar) from brine-it'll run about 45 bucks and check into some of the newer heads, they're 2 steps ahead of the proton.....

lucas9000
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the alloy2000 is one heavy bitch, and it'll probably break in half with one good check,

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like i just wasted $20 then /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
splurge and get an F15 (or similiar) from brine-it'll run about 45 bucks and check into some of the newer heads, they're 2 steps ahead of the proton.....

[/ QUOTE ]

are you talking about those heads with the flexible sidewalls? they look very weird.

crosse91
04-27-2005, 04:49 PM
haha no, i don't like any of that gimmicky-crap like the sidewalls that swing or the proton with the extra plastic "fingers" or whatever they're called.

I would recoomend any of the heads from debeer right now-even their 30 dollar head "icon" is really good.
Also a great head right now is the stx profile, i think 1/2 my team uses it here.
Gloves-i love my ignitors, but they're expensive

Gamblor
04-27-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm very old school. I still use the same model sticks I grew up with; every time they break i just buy a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd love to do that but i don't think they even make my favorite anymore. the closest looks like the stx x2+, but that has the forward cantilever that wasn't around back in the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah the excalibur. another old favourite. that and the stx turbo are the sticks i grew up on until i stopped paying for head /images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw i love the feel of a wood shaft. the aluminum and composite and titanium ones just don't do it for me.