PDA

View Full Version : Punishing drawers

smizmiatch
04-26-2005, 02:42 PM
I don't understand the concept of punishing drawers in some situations.
For example:
I flop top pair, bet out from EP, get called by MP and raised by LP, who I suspect is on a flush draw.
Should I reraise to punish the draw?
The problem I have is that my reraise would improve my opponent's odds if he is indeed on a flush draw. I'm not punishing him at all by raising the flop. In fact, I'm helping him.
The line I've been taking in this situation is to call the flop and bet out the turn.
Should I play this situation differently?
Thanks.

Octopus
04-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Actually, in the situation you just described, you are not 'punishing' the flush draw, you are punishing the third player (assuming he is behind). The flush is about 2-1 to come in by the river and he is getting 2-1 on every bet that goes in on the flop. That is, he neither wins nor loses money on flop bets (approximately).

I do not know what you mean by "improving his odds". He is putting in money same as everyone else. Yes, he will have a profitable call on the turn, but that was already true. That his turn calls will be 'more profitable' is only because of money he is putting in now. That is false profit.

As for how you should play this situation, well, it depends ... on the players, how coordinated the flop is, your image, and many other things. You have not given enough information to talk about the 'correct' play.

BTW, it is not really good form to flood the board with several posts at the same time. Spread them out and respond to some other posts while you are at it.

QTip
04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
You might find this discussion (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1750840&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) useful.