PDA

View Full Version : It's Called a Turn Indicator, @#(*%head (Road Rage)

ripdog
04-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I recently returned from a road trip with my wife and 8 month old son. We drove from Seattle to Sacramento and I could not seem to limit myself to the standard "5 over". The speedo usually read 80 or better and we were passing a lot of cars. On the way down I felt that Oregon drivers kind of sucked. They drive in the left lane, then as you close on them, they move right and speed up. It's like they have a some kind of ego issue over being passed. Once you get by them, they slow back down. This phenomena repeated itself until we reached California. Once we got to California, the cars with Oregon plates started to behave themselves. The cars with California plates behaved themselves, too. I did not get seriously pissed at anyone for well over 1800 miles. Other than the mildly annoying habits of our neighbors to the south, nobody got blatantly out of line. Ok, ok. Yes, Washington drivers suck donkey balls, but that is where I'm headed with this.

One week after our return, I'm driving to the University of Washington. Traffic is heavy and I'm in the right lane. I need to get into the left lane because I need to turn left from Montlake onto 25th. I look ahead and there are no openings. I check my side view mirror and there are only a few cars behind me. I use my TURN INDICATOR to signal my intention of entering the left lane and back off the gas. There is a large opening for me to get into, but the dude that makes up the back end of the opening decides to try to close the gap. He is way too late and I enter the left lane with with two car lengths behind me. He begins to throw a hissy fit--arms waving, horn blaring, brights flashing. I mutter a few expletives to myself and slow down to 20mph. I was seriously thinking about forcing him to a stop and going back there to see what his malfunction was. After probably less than two seconds, I thought that that would be stupid and sped back up. He kept up with the hand gesturing for several minutes. I wanted to drive my knee into his face, but settled for flipping him the bird one time.

To me it's a turn indicator--I'm not asking permission. If you want to try to close the gap, go ahead. I'm coming over anyway. Usually I don't react at all and I was really disappointed in myself this time. The fact that he never even got close to me as he tried to box me out, then pitcjed a fit anyway really irritated me. What a jackass. But I really hate the fact that I acted like a 12 old in response to his idiocy.

daryn
04-26-2005, 01:26 PM
did you mean blinker?

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did you mean blinker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he might be canadian or something. Who says "turn indicator"?

stabn
04-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Seattle drivers rawk. Espeicallly the guy who chased me down in the parking lot at crossroads to chew me out last weekend.

mostsmooth
04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did you mean blinker?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i almost always say blinker, but once in a while, "turn signal" slips out.

stabn
04-26-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did you mean blinker?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use turn signal, and have never heard turn indicator. I hear blinker fairly often though.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I think that's acceptable. I think I do that too. But have you ever heard anyone say "turn indicator"?

wh1t3bread
04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
No, I'm originally from New York/New Jersey and a lot of people say "directional" up there, myself included. Down here in Northern Virginia people have never heard of that. What about you guys?

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm originally from New York/New Jersey and a lot of people say "directional" up there, myself included. Down here in Northern Virginia people have never heard of that. What about you guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Jack of Arcades
04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I think that's acceptable. I think I do that too. But have you ever heard anyone say "turn indicator"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brits.

Tron
04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Someone should start a poll.

InchoateHand
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
To the guy from NY/NJ who claims "directional" is legitimate.

The Northeast has enough image problems as it is, stop spreading bullshit. And admit that you are from the NJ half of that equation.

touchfaith
04-26-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently returned from a road trip with my wife and 8 month old son.

[/ QUOTE ]

First things first....Up your life-insurace.

[ QUOTE ]
I use my TURN INDICATOR to signal my intention of entering the left lane and back off the gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people SPEED UP when tring to enter a faster lane of traffic.

People who slow down when changing lanes need to be shot. It's the most idiotic thing I see on the road daily.

And yes....It's called a blinker.

[ QUOTE ]
I mutter a few expletives to myself and slow down to 20mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you not only cut the guy off, but now you decide to esculate the situation. Bravo.

[ QUOTE ]
I was seriously thinking about forcing him to a stop and going back there to see what his malfunction was.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where he justifiable gets to shoot you dead. Your family will cry to the police that this was 'road-rage' on the other drivers part... But we all know better don't we.

So to recap....

You will be dead.
The person that shot you will go to Jail for getting cut-off.
Your family will be rich (from the increased life insurance).

...all because you do not know how to change lanes. NH!

Hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I realize it's a win-win for everyone involved (including the rest of us)

wh1t3bread
04-26-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To the guy from NY/NJ who claims "directional" is legitimate.

The Northeast has enough image problems as it is, stop spreading bullshit. And admit that you are from the NJ half of that equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have lived in both states and I've heard it used in both states. Happy?

LALDAAS
04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lived in NJ my whole life never once have ever heard of this term.

"Turn signal" that is it

astroglide
04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
i had a friend in high school whose parents would ALWAYS say "turn signal indicator". even in clutch situations. "JIM HE HAS HIS LEFT TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR ON!" i say blinker.

MrFeelNothin
04-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey ThinMan, try reading...

[ QUOTE ]
Traffic is heavy and I'm in the right lane. I need to get into the left lane because I need to turn left from Montlake onto 25th. I look ahead and there are no openings. I check my side view mirror and there are only a few cars behind me. I use my TURN INDICATOR to signal my intention of entering the left lane and back off the gas. There is a large opening for me to get into, but the dude that makes up the back end of the opening decides to try to close the gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

meep_42
04-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Actually, by using the turn signal, you are asking permission. If you moved into the lane and he hit you from behind, it's your insurance, not his.

-d

Shajen
04-26-2005, 02:11 PM
I used to give as good as I got, but now I one up the assholes by simply waving a "thank you" wave.

It usually defuses the situation. If it makes them more angry, don't sweat it, just go on your way.

If they follow and start to get more aggressive/dangerous, handle your business. Whether this means calling the police, or pulling into a gas station and beating their stupid ass depends on you.

I no longer get truly angry at traffic. Life is too short.

Also, your behavior wasn't cool considering you had your family in the car. Better safe than sorry.

Maintain dude. Maintain.

mostsmooth
04-26-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you moved into the lane and he hit you from behind, it's your insurance, not his.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]
im going to disagree with this statement. im no attorney or insurance agent, but im pretty sure if you hit somebody in the ass, its practically always(id just say always, but i dont have the expertise to do so) your fault.

spamuell
04-26-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually say and hear "indicator", although if someone said "turn indicator", I'd immediately understand.

Some common examples:

"He didn't have his indicator on and he just swerved into my lane."

"I can't believe he turned right through a lane of traffic without indicating."

"I indicated your mother last night, old chap."

The Yugoslavian
04-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Yes ripdog, out of all the things in life that should bother you and make you truly angry, this should be one of them.

Sounds like you did everything fine except you didn't let the negative energy from the guy behind you go. Also, giving him a friendly wave or palm out 'thank you' can often work wonders for such people who take driving personally.

One thing I've noticed since moving back to California is that drivers here may think they are invincible but they take driving less personally than people where I was living previously (MN). In the midwest everyone takes driving actions very personally and almost always in a very unhealthy manner.

Yugoslav

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, by using the turn signal, you are asking permission. If you moved into the lane and he hit you from behind, it's your insurance, not his.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually thast's not true. It's assumed he should have left room if he were following you. If you pulled into his lane and hit the brakes, then this isn't the case.

kerssens
04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
somebody just ran through a yield sign with their "turn indicator" on and almost hit me on my way to lunch. btw, I use signal mostly and haven't heard anyone in Seattle say indicator.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I use my TURN INDICATOR to signal my intention of entering the left lane and back off the gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people SPEED UP when tring to enter a faster lane of traffic. People who slow down when changing lanes need to be shot. It's the most idiotic thing I see on the road daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell did I miss that on first reading. I agree. You don't do this. It's too bad you didn't stop so he could beat your ass.

Shajen
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
He slowed down to get to the gap in traffic.

This is common.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He slowed down to get to the gap in traffic. This is common.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately it's way too common. I don't care what you're doing. If you pull into my lane ahead of me going slower than I am then I'm gonna be pissed.

touchfaith
04-26-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is common.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, very common for people that do not know how to drive properly.

If he needed to be in the left and there was traffic, he should have been there sooner then he needed to be, not later.

And if he couldn't make it without cutting someone off and potentially cause a wreck behind him by slowing down unexpectedly, then he should have made a right at his street and turned around.

Personally, I vote for going ahead and doing what he did, but only if he stops and gets shot. This way I don't have to worry about him cutting me off someday.

shadow29
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
For some reason I really like to piss people off who think they are the [censored] driving their SUV.

Like if we're on a regular surface street and I'm going 40 (in a 35, pretty much the observed "speed limit" here) and someone soccer mom in her Escalade wants to go 50, I slow down. Also, if someone is riding my ass, I like to downshift (no brake lights to indicate that I'm slowing down). That scares them a lot. I be sure not to downshift while they're very close, as getting hit would suck. But close enough to scare them into leaving me alone.

Road rage is fun.

Shajen
04-26-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is common.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, very common for people that do not know how to drive properly.

If he needed to be in the left and there was traffic, he should have been there sooner then he needed to be, not later.

And if he couldn't make it without cutting someone off and potentially cause a wreck behind him by slowing down unexpectedly, then he should have made a right at his street and turned around.

Personally, I vote for going ahead and doing what he did, but only if he stops and gets shot. This way I don't have to worry about him cutting me off someday.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) there was no gaps where he could safely enter without making someone else slow down. He was being considerate.

2) When he slowed briefly to allow the traffic next to him to pass so he could enter the pre-existing gap, an [censored] well behind him speed up so as to not let him in.

What would you have done?

kerssens
04-26-2005, 03:14 PM
I think the speed up part is the important part of the story. There was apparently a large enough gap but the guy sped up to close it. I've encountered this and I don't understand why people do it.

mostsmooth
04-26-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the speed up part is the important part of the story. There was apparently a large enough gap but the guy sped up to close it. I've encountered this and I don't understand why people do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
i get angry when im driving along and keeping the proper distance from the guy in front of me and some shmuck thinks thats an opening for him to move into. i dont recall speeding up to prevent said shmuck from entering, but i recall having sped up after he did it.

touchfaith
04-26-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I where too stupid to get into the left lane in enough time to make my turn without cutting someone off? I would have made a right at my street and flipped a bitch.

So let me get this straight...

If I am in the right hand lane and need to get to the left and there is a gap on the left behind me , I should slow down, then jump in that lane going slower and then gun it?

And people wonder why they require insurance by law?

Too funny.

kerssens
04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i get angry when im driving along and keeping the proper distance from the guy in front of me and some shmuck thinks thats an opening for him to move into. i dont recall speeding up to prevent said shmuck from entering, but i recall having sped up after he did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree with you there, I got the impression from the post that there was a gap wider than that but I could just be making stuff up.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I am in the right hand lane and need to get to the left and there is a gap on the left behind me , I should slow down, then jump in that lane going slower and then gun it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except he didn't gun it. He slowed down to 20. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Non_Comformist
Well, Oregon is > California & Washington but we already knew that.

Shajen
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I where too stupid to get into the left lane in enough time to make my turn without cutting someone off? I would have made a right at my street and flipped a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you are one considerate person.

I tip my hat to you.

I say what you just posted is bogus, but I don't know you. Maybe you really are this considerate. If so, kudos to you.

nothumb
04-26-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as you are on a street with a speed limit of 40 or less, this is not hard at all. If the guy was 2 lengths behind him even after speeding up, he probably had ~6 to 8 lengths between them prior, plenty of time to make it up.

Drivers are total scumbags a lot of the time and do things like this for no reason. I live in the Jerkshires, with the worst NY city drivers in their ridiculous SUVs, riding my ass constantly when I am going ten over in a residential area.

NT

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So long as you are on a street with a speed limit of 40 or less, this is not hard at all. If the guy was 2 lengths behind him even after speeding up, he probably had ~6 to 8 lengths between them prior, plenty of time to make it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of why I called bull-[censored] on the OP. He said it was heavy traffic then he acted like he had all this room to get over. I'm guessing he cut the guy off.

Klepton
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
next time blow a kiss instead of flipping the bird, it pisses them off much more

nothumb
04-26-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is part of why I called bull-[censored] on the OP. He said it was heavy traffic then he acted like he had all this room to get over. I'm guessing he cut the guy off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but you weren't there, you just decided the guy was being a douche. This is the mentality of drivers these days, always blaming somebody and going apeshit over some minor incident. Suppose he did get cut off, do you then flash your brights, wave your arms and start screaming? No, because it won't do any damn good. It will just make the guy mad and he'll slow down or something (as happened here).

And anyway, you have to look at this in light of the original premise, which was that there was plenty of space and the guy decided he didn't want someone getting over into that lane. I submit that the guy, regardless of whether he got cut off or not, would have been much happier if he had just let him over, let him make his turn and kept moving.

Honestly, letting this [censored] get to you is taking years off your life.

NT

mostsmooth
04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately agree with you there, I got the impression from the post that there was a gap wider than that but I could just be making stuff up.

[/ QUOTE ]
no, i got the same impression, i was just replying to your comment. i assume op saw the opening was large enough, slowed down to get into it and sped up as he did.

Shajen
04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but you weren't there, you just decided the guy was being a douche. This is the mentality of drivers these days, always blaming somebody and going apeshit over some minor incident. Suppose he did get cut off, do you then flash your brights, wave your arms and start screaming? No, because it won't do any damn good. It will just make the guy mad and he'll slow down or something (as happened here).

And anyway, you have to look at this in light of the original premise, which was that there was plenty of space and the guy decided he didn't want someone getting over into that lane. I submit that the guy, regardless of whether he got cut off or not, would have been much happier if he had just let him over, let him make his turn and kept moving.

Honestly, letting this [censored] get to you is taking years off your life.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds so much better when you say it. This is what I was trying to say.

NH.

mostsmooth
04-26-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except he didn't gun it. He slowed down to 20. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
he only slowed down because the guy was flipping out
or did you know this already?

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Suppose he did get cut off, do you then flash your brights, wave your arms and start screaming?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't start screaming, but yea I pretty much give him my brights and lay on my horn and generally don't stop until he gets out of my way.

[ QUOTE ]
And anyway, you have to look at this in light of the original premise, which was that there was plenty of space and the guy decided he didn't want someone getting over into that lane.

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't just accept that premise is that I've seen this same thing over and over, and it's always been the jerk that cut someone off that was wrong. And he goes around acting like he's the safe one. It's like the old joke about the 83 year-old woman that tells everyone what a safe driver she is. she sees accidents everywhere but never gets in one.

nothumb
04-26-2005, 04:08 PM
BTW I do not mean to imply I have a total Zen calm about this kind of situation. If I am legitimately cut off by a slow driver when I need to be somewhere I will usually give them a second and then flash my lights or give a honk. But just being a total donk as this guy described will do nothing for you, it's far more likely to elicit the type of reaction he got than to get the guy to move over.

Also, the type of person who flips out, waves his arms, leans on the horn, etc, is disproportionately more likely to have exaggerated the original indignation, or perceived one where none exists.

NT

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
The other thing that drives me crazy in heavy start&stop traffic is being stuck next to someone blasting rap music. There I sit with my windows up and I can't hear my own radio because of some moran with speakers the size of my refrigerator. I generally pull up next to him and just lean on my horn continuously until he rolls his windows up. I figure if I can't my radio, I won't let him hear his. It'll probably get me shot someday, but it's worht it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CORed
04-26-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They do it because it's their lane, by God, and if they let you in, it will take them at least a second longer to get where they're going (which is probably somewhere they really don't want to go, like work).

CORed
04-26-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So is he supposed to miss his turn, so as not to force you to slow down 1/2 mph for a few seconds to restore the proper following distance? Don't you ever need to change lanes? Don't you appreciate a little courtesy on the part of drivers in the lane you are changing into? I encounter people who respond to a turn signal by trying to close the gap so often that I have taken to not turning on my turn signal until I have started to make my move, or sometimes (rarely) not signalling at all. I agree with the OP that the purpose using my turn signal is not to request permission to enter the lane, it is to inform the driver of my intention of doing so. If he responds by attempting to close the opening I'm changing into, he's a moron. That said, other comments about getting into the proper lane ahead of time, and matching your speed to the lane you are changing into are certainly important to minimizing hazards and conflicts.

The Yugoslavian
04-26-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It'll probably get me shot someday, but it's worht it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't try this in Oakland. I guarantee you that it won't be worth it.

Yugoslav

ripdog
04-27-2005, 11:24 AM
re-read my original post. I'll clarify a few things for you:

1. Insurance has been upped.

2. These people pull right and speed up to avoid being passed. Like 10 or 15 MPH. So if I'm about to pass them doing 80, I need to hit 90 or better to get by, then they drop back down to 65 or 70. Just an obervation, the behavior was repeated over and over and I thought it was interesting. Wierd psychology of highway driving. Maybe they don't really notice their own behavior.

3. I usually call it a blinker, but turn indicator fits this situation better. Once again, I'm not asking permission. I need to be in that lane and I'm coming over. If you want to punch the accelerator in an attempt to box me out, fine. I'm still coming over. I don't drive like an a-hole. I don't race up the left (or right) lane and jump in at the last second to bypass traffic, for example. I let people in when they signal their intention. I expect the same courtesy in return.

4. Slowed down instinctively, sped back up almost immediately. Realized how stupid that would be (almost immediately).

5. Lets re-cap:

I got into "his" lane with two car lengths to spare, he throws a ridiculous hissy fit. I initially want to cave his head in, but don't. In the end I'm pissed at myself for losing control of the situation by trading hand gestures with him. So you read the post and come to your own pre-determined conclusion, ignoring both the facts presented and the spirit of the post. Did you learn that technique when you listened to one of Rush Limbaugh's ridiculous radio programs?

ripdog
04-27-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I no longer get truly angry at traffic. Life is too short.

Also, your behavior wasn't cool considering you had your family in the car. Better safe than sorry.

Maintain dude. Maintain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Family wasn't with me, but this is not an excuse. I really felt like I handled this situation poorly. I usually ignore this stuff and move on, but this guy got under my skin. I sat there feeling like an [censored]. It sucked.

Tron
04-27-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not asking permission.

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter how many times you say this, it will still be wrong.

ripdog
04-27-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seattle drivers rawk. Espeicallly the guy who chased me down in the parking lot at crossroads to chew me out last weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some dude in Seattle got out of his car to confront someone who was tailgaiting him last week. As he approached, the driver rolled his window down, shot him in the stomach, and drove off. I don't get it. Total lack of self control.

jakethebake
04-27-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some dude in Seattle got out of his car to confront someone who was tailgaiting him last week. As he approached, the driver rolled his window down, shot him in the stomach, and drove off. I don't get it. Total lack of self control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see this? I'm guessing there was more to it. The guy was probably scared. If someone approached my car ranting, I'd probably have my gun out. If he attacks me he's getting shot...but not until then. I had some big biker approach my car awhile back when I tailgated him (he was doing 15 in a one-lane 45). At the stoplight he tried to get off his bike. He was so pissed off that he dropped his bike, which pissed him off even more. After yelling and screaming while he picked his bike up, he approached my car. I showed him my gun and he got back on his bike, shot me the finger and roared off. Then he circled back around and tried to follow me. I was pretty close to home so I drove around awhile. I'm pretty sure i was more scared than he was by the end of it. I don't want pissed off bikers attacking my family at home.

ripdog
04-27-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people SPEED UP when tring to enter a faster lane of traffic. People who slow down when changing lanes need to be shot. It's the most idiotic thing I see on the road daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell did I miss that on first reading. I agree. You don't do this. It's too bad you didn't stop so he could beat your ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ! READ THE ORIGINAL POST AGAIN! There were no gaps ahead, I needed to get over. There were gaps behind. Anybody familiar with the SR-520 westbound to Montlake to 25th at 5:30pm on a weekday mess will understand why I may have gotten stuck in the right lane. I'm guessing that the reading comprehension portion of the SAT really dragged your score down.

kerssens
04-27-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this is where the OP loses me. A signal is showing the drivers intention to change lanes when it is safe but it is nobody's obligation to create that safe distance.

Easy E
04-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Who says blinker?

It's a turn SIGNAL! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

astroglide
04-27-2005, 12:18 PM
blinker is 2 syllables, the device obviously does blink lights, and the word is easy to say

ripdog
04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see this? I'm guessing there was more to it. The guy was probably scared. If someone approached my car ranting, I'd probably have my gun out. If he attacks me he's getting shot...but not until then. I had some big biker approach my car awhile back when I tailgated him (he was doing 15 in a one-lane 45). At the stoplight he tried to get off his bike. He was so pissed off that he dropped his bike, which pissed him off even more. After yelling and screaming while he picked his bike up, he approached my car. I showed him my gun and he got back on his bike, shot me the finger and roared off. Then he circled back around and tried to follow me. I was pretty close to home so I drove around awhile. I'm pretty sure i was more scared than he was by the end of it. I don't want pissed off bikers attacking my family at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go again! Taking a minimal amount of information and using it to create some fantasy situation. My point was that even if the dude who got shot lost control of his emotions, he should have been able to gather his wits about him before he got himself shot over it. The dude who confronted you is lucky that you're smart enough to think of the consequences of shooting him in the face. Which makes me wonder if your gun is going to wind up getting you shot someday. Next time you may show your piece to someone who also has a gun AND the willingness to put a couple of rounds into you. There are so many analogies going through my head right now...

jakethebake
04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you may show your piece to someone who also has a gun AND the willingness to put a couple of rounds into you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. If I didn't have the gun, I might run into someone willing to do this, and I'd kinda like to have my gun when when I do. I also might run into that same biker w/o my gun and I'd kinda like to have it then too. I'm pretty much betting that I'm better with mine than anyone that wants to take me out of my car.

ripdog
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Oregon is > California & Washington but we already knew that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...is that why you guys aren't allowed to pump your own gas? I just assumed that too many Oregonians (Oregonites?) had managed to douse themselves in gasoline and then spark up a cigarette, so the authorities made a law that said you guys lack the mental acuity to pump your own gas and that specially trained gas pumping technicians would have to be employed to handle the task for you. Maybe you can clarify it for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ripdog
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this is where the OP loses me. A signal is showing the drivers intention to change lanes when it is safe but it is nobody's obligation to create that safe distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely true! I didn't turn my BLINKER on and expect the dude next to me to let me in. It is my duty to find a reasonable spot to enter the lane. And I did. The gap I was shooting for was six to eight car lengths wide and the dude who took exception to my entering "his lane" couldn't close the gap in his fairly new black Audi A8 Turbo. Maybe the turbo lagged on him and he was really just angry at his car and was pounding the steering wheel so hard that it caused the brights to flash and the horn to blare. Maybe he wasn't mad at me at all. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MyMindIsGoing
04-27-2005, 01:11 PM
You sound like a bad driver. Speeding yourself with a child in the car. Oh behave..

ripdog
04-27-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You sound like a bad driver. Speeding yourself with a child in the car. Oh behave..

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment noted

JDErickson
04-27-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely true! I didn't turn my BLINKER on and expect the dude next to me to let me in. It is my duty to find a reasonable spot to enter the lane. And I did. The gap I was shooting for was six to eight car lengths wide

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you are saying is actually what happened then yes, you handled it correctly.

BUT

Let me explain what normally happens when you hear of an incident like this.

Jow Schmoh is rambling down the road/highway not paying attention to where he is or traffic conditions. He may be shaving, chatting, day dreaming or may just not give a [censored].

1/2 block before his turn comes up he figures out "Oh [censored], I have to turn here" "I'm not asking permission, I'm coming over" So the "blinker" comes on at the same time he swerves into the next lane even if there is not enough safe room to merge causing the guy behind (who is paying attention and has been in the correct lane for his turn for quite a while) to hit the brakes in order to give the idiot enough room to come on over. This causes a chain reaction of everyone behind the idiot who must now slow down in order for idiot to have enough room to make his turn.

I have just stopped making room for these idiots. If they want to come over they are going to have to run over my Chevy 3500 Duallie Crew Cab. Fine with me, I get a new paintjob and they get a ticket for improper lane change and higher insurance premiums.