PDA

View Full Version : QTs - Iso raise on the button...

meep_42
04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Reads: 3rd hand at table, UTG+1 was a fishie, SB was new to me, BB was tight.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Good raise? What's the river plan?

-d

chief444
04-26-2005, 01:30 PM
I like it so far.

The river plan depends a lot on the rest of the turn action. Assuming it's just called in one or two spots and the river appears to be a blank I don't see why you wouldn't want to bet if checked to or call a bet if bet into again.

Nick Royale
04-26-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good raise? What's the river plan?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the raise is perfect. You have tpgk and if you're behind you'll have tons of outs.

What's tricky is how to play the river. I think that against most players I raise the turn to get a free showdown if I don't improve. This way you get more money into the pot when you have tons of equity, your equity will go down significally if you don't improve on the river and I think it will go down enough for you to check the river. Against some players it will be +EV to bet the river if checked to, but they're in a minority IMO.

A case could be made for calling the turn to be able to raise a river bet if we improve, but I think we have to charge UTG if he's on a draw.

tytygoodnuts
04-26-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't know if I like the preflop raise. I know you are trying to isolate the fish, but QTs suited doesn't have any showdown value and you would generally like to see a flop cheap as possible. It is isn't a big deal either way though.

Flop is standard. I like the turn raise. You still might be ahead and it sets up a cheap showdown if you want it. I would be tempted to check the river if it is checked to me.
Like SSH says, a strange turn bet usually means weakness. My guess is this guy either caught a gutshot or two pair. But who knows; it is hard as hell to read bad players.

chief444
04-26-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I like the preflop raise. I know you are trying to isolate the fish, but QTs suited doesn't have any showdown value and you would generally like to see a flop cheap as possible. It is isn't a big deal either way though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I think it is a bit of a big deal if you're not raising hands like this in situations like this.

CanKid
04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think it is a bit of a big deal if you're not raising hands like this in situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

Fat Nicky
04-26-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By raising pre-flop we increase our chances of knocking out the blinds and taking down the pot unimproved

QTip
04-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Even my tight a$$ raises this PF about 100% of the time!

QTip
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Meep....let's see how the turn played out then the river to you before you acted. I quite certain I wouldn't have raised the turn, but that PROBABLY means you should have /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

meep_42
04-26-2005, 02:17 PM
My thought process --

PF - QTs is nice... one loose fishie, tight BB. Let's pump this up.
Flop - Top pair, coordinated board, gotta bet it.
Turn - What is SB betting out with? The 5 only makes a raggy 2-pair or 68 the straight. I'm not buying it, plus I have outs if I get 3-bet, pump it up. Plan to call a 3-bet.

River plan - Hit a spade. Barring that, a Q. If I can't do that, i'm betting a non-spade non-A/J/8/6, taking a free showdown otherwise. Betting/raising all spades. Calling most river bets UI.

-d

meep_42
04-26-2005, 02:20 PM
SB folds (?!), Fish calls.

River - (10.5BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

-d

meep_42
04-26-2005, 02:21 PM
What do you think SB is betting out here?

68? 75? Set?

-d

chief444
04-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Not exactly the blank you're looking for but I'm still betting if checked to.

QTip
04-26-2005, 02:25 PM
It's hard to say without a read, but my guess would be nothing as strong as strong as 2 pair or a set. Perhaps he had Tx for top pair and decided to bet out on the turn thinking you may just have overcards and he still has top pair. Your raise may have told him "I don't have overcards, I have an overpair" and he decided he was done with the hand.

Nick Royale
04-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Then I bet the river. Wouldn't have if SB was calling instead...