PDA

View Full Version : Male Pattern Baldness

B Mando
04-26-2005, 01:07 PM
HEY! I am just barely starting to notice that I am losing my hair a little bit. I refuse to let this happen. I am still quite young and dont want to be a que ball in a couple years. What are my options? Any magic pills or something? Anything? Its not anywhere near serouis yet(I have just noticed I used to be thicker up top) but I want stop it before it really starts...Anything?

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Get used to hats.

nothumb
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Take it like a man, you preening sissy.

My hair was falling out before I could vote.

NT

wh1t3bread
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Nope, you are screwed.

http://www.lowcostprints.com/Merchant2/hi/bt5999.jpg

IndieMatty
04-26-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HEY! I am just barely starting to notice that I am losing my hair a little bit. I refuse to let this happen. I am still quite young and dont want to be a que ball in a couple years. What are my options? Any magic pills or something? Anything? Its not anywhere near serouis yet(I have just noticed I used to be thicker up top) but I want stop it before it really starts...Anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Proscar/Propecia and Rogaine. See a dermotologist.

Shajen
04-26-2005, 01:12 PM
It's not actually going away, it's merely migrating to your back and shoulders.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Uh, seriously though? Google is your friend. There's all kinds of crap out there to prevent/stop hair loss.

If I ever start going bald, I'm not fighting it. I'll shave that crap off and be another bald is beautiful type. Luckily, MPB doesn't run in my family.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
See a dermotologist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that another word for "hat salesman"?

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-26-2005, 01:13 PM
If the thought of losing your hair really causes you angst, then you are truly a mega-weenie.

Hair in men is way overrated. Both Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart were voted "sexiest man" in polls long after going bald.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Patrick Stewart were voted "sexiest man" in polls long after going bald.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very odd.

InchoateHand
04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Haha. I love my full lush head of hair.

mostsmooth
04-26-2005, 01:18 PM
shave your head
you wont notice the thinning out hardly at all

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Clearly a hat is your answer. You just need to find your look. Here are some suggestions:

http://www.livetourartists.com/al_simmons/simmons-big-hat.jpg

http://www.new-life.net/photos/pioneers/Very%20Big%20Hat.jpg

http://www.saintmarys.edu/~buec/big%20hat.jpg

http://cpug.org/check_point_training/photos_nightlife/big_hat.JPG

http://www.mroc.co.uk/images/ARC%20Nat%202004/Hat%20-%202.jpg.JPG

tolbiny
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
male patter baldness has been linked to high testosterone levels. There is one sure fire cure, castration.

Don't mind going bald any more, huh?

B Mando
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
So should I flog the dolphin more or less? I am thinking more! hahaha

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Then perhaps they can transplant from your palms.

chaas4747
04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this even humanly possible?

B Mando
04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not actually going away, it's merely migrating to your back and shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats whats so [censored] weird! I am basically hairless everywhere on my body. I have a tiny happy trail and that is it! Nothing on my chest or back. EVERYONE who is bald up top has a super hairy chest. Hopefully I am just stressed about finding a job for the summer or something...

MaxPower
04-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Is your hair thinning or do you have a bald spot? There are drugs that work on thinning hair, but I don't think they really do much. They just delay the inevitable.

Just grow old gracefully.

tdarko
04-26-2005, 02:12 PM
stop worrying there are plenty of girls out there that actually find a shaved/bald head sexy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/bo0001/brucewillis.jpg

banged

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/bo0001/brookburns.jpg

many many times. then dumped her.

Sephus
04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/bo0001/brucewillis.jpg

is [censored] rich.

tdarko
04-26-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is [censored] rich.

[/ QUOTE ]
so are thousands of others with hair that brooke didn't want.

don't use the "he's rich" comment when it doesnt apply.

Benal
04-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Do your mother's brothers have hair? If so, don't sweat it.

lu_hawk
04-26-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an old wives tale.

B Mando
04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Basically. My mother's brother does have a lot of hair for his age though. My moms side of the family is Italian(they all have a lot of hair) and my dads(the bald one) is German. I got fooked. ill be sure to post some before and after pictures if I buzz my head. I used to play soccer so I have pretty damn long hair.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. It's not 100% but I have hair just like my mom's dad. My son also has hair like his maternal grandpa. When I'm 65 and he's 32, I'll still have a full head of hair and calling that whippersnapper "cueball". /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Benal
04-26-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in my case.

IndieMatty
04-26-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. It's not 100% but I have hair just like my mom's dad. My son also has hair like his maternal grandpa. When I'm 65 and he's 32, I'll still have a full head of hair and calling that whippersnapper "cueball". /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an old wives tale. It's hereditary on either side/any generation.

lu_hawk
04-26-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

sample size. unless the gene for baldness comes through your mitochondrial DNA then there is no explanation for baldness to be inherited from your mother more than from your father.

Benal
04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

sample size. unless the gene for baldness comes through your mitochondrial DNA then there is no explanation for baldness to be inherited from your mother more than from your father.

[/ QUOTE ]

My father started losing his hair at the age of 18, bald by his late 20s. His brother (my uncle), same thing. Both my grandfathers were bald. My mother's brothers, both in their late 40s, full head of hair. I think I'll be fine.

Soul Daddy
04-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm the only person on either side of my family in three generations to lose my hair. I must be the milkman's son.

peachy
04-26-2005, 09:31 PM
some bald guys r sexy...i know one id do

Dead
04-26-2005, 09:49 PM
If my mom's father has a lot of hair, and my dad's father had no hair, and my dad has no hair, what does that mean for me?

I had heard from someone that it goes through the mother's father. I am hoping at least. Haven't had any hair fall out yet but I guess I'll know in 5-10 years.

bernie
04-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Castration has shown to stop hair loss.

b

bernie
04-26-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart were voted "sexiest man" in polls long after going bald

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, it helps to be a famous actor with lots of cash.

b

bernie
04-26-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. Then perhaps they can transplant from your palms

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my big laugh for the day!

b

peachy
04-27-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If my mom's father has a lot of hair, and my dad's father had no hair, and my dad has no hair, what does that mean for me?

I had heard from someone that it goes through the mother's father. I am hoping at least. Haven't had any hair fall out yet but I guess I'll know in 5-10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes in most genetic cases it is ur mothers father

thatpfunk
04-27-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

yes in most genetic cases it is ur mothers father

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a myth. It can come from either side of your family- your parents or grandparents.

Sephus
04-27-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is [censored] rich.

[/ QUOTE ]
so are thousands of others with hair that brooke didn't want.

don't use the "he's rich" comment when it doesnt apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

how the [censored] did you not get that what i meant was hair doesn't really matter when you're rich? i wasn't saying brooke burke dates every rich man alive or whatever your nonsensical counterpoint was supposed to refute.

don't phrase your disagreement as advice when you have no clue.

tdarko
04-27-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how the [censored] did you not get that what i meant was hair doesn't really matter when you're rich? i wasn't saying brooke burke dates every rich man alive or whatever your nonsensical counterpoint was supposed to refute.

don't phrase your disagreement as advice when you have no clue.

[/ QUOTE ]
why are you so hostile? haha it's an internet forum chill brotha. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

and yes i do have a clue, to say that bruce willis got brooke burns b/c he is rich makes no sense, brooke burns is rich too. she has a thing for older men and bald heads, she said so in an interview so chill out.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Point being that many women do find bald men attractive.

Bluffoon
04-27-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't fight it. Go bald with grace. There is nothing more ridiculous than a guy with bad plugs or a bad rug or trying to cover his bald spot with what's left of his hair. (think Trump)

Some women aren't going to like it but some women won't like your build or your nose or something anyway. As was already pointed out hair is not an issue for a lot of women. Just be confident of your appearance and comfortable with yourself and you will be attractive to plenty of women regardless of your hair situation.

Lazymeatball
04-27-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. It's not 100% but I have hair just like my mom's dad. My son also has hair like his maternal grandpa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, time to point out the huge fallacy in your argument. The concept being thrown around here is that male pattern baldness is passed along from your mother. This means that it is not passed on by any male. Therefore the baldness or lack of baldness from your mothers father is irrelevant as according to the concept at hand, males cannot pass along the male pattern balndess gene. The reason you are looking at your mother's brothers is because they received the same genes from your maternal grandmother as your mother. How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy. Peachy is certainly not innocent in this regard either.

daryn
04-27-2005, 12:20 PM
nice call out

jakethebake
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you're from Arkansas.

fluxrad
04-27-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

Male pattern baldness is a recessive gene passed along on the X chromosome. It is, however, activated by the Y chromosome. The reason you look to your mother's father to find out is because your mother has two X chromosomes, one from your grandfather and one from your grandmother. This, of course, means that when you get an X chromosome from your mother and a Y chromosome from your father, you've got a 50/50 chance of inhereting the baldness gene from your mom (i.e. the gene from your grandfather's X chromosome). If your mother's grandfather on her mother's side was also bald...you will almost certainly be bald.

/fluxrad pours out a 40oz.

That's one for me. And one for my homie Gregor Mendel.

Sephus
04-28-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why are you so hostile? haha it's an internet forum chill brotha. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

and yes i do have a clue, to say that bruce willis got brooke burns b/c he is rich makes no sense, brooke burns is rich too. she has a thing for older men and bald heads, she said so in an interview so chill out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got hostile because your tone seemed patronizing, and i dont really have to hold back because this in indeed an anonymous internet forum.

i didn't imply that she's with bruce willis only because he's rich, or that she isnt rich herself, or anything you seem to think i meant.

i could have simply said "he's bruce willis," "he's a movie star," etc. etc. but i doubt every man she dates will be old, or bald, or a movie star. on the other hand i'm pretty confident that most every man she dates will be rich.

if of all the eligible men who come into contact with burke generally need to be rich to have a realistic shot with her, and this is one of the most salient differences between men she dates and men she doesn't, then it's damn relevant to mention that bruce willis is [censored] rich.

rich men don't need hair to get with hot women, that's my point.

k im done.

Dead
04-28-2005, 12:34 AM
So, fluxrad, if my mother's father has a full head of hair, and my mother's maternal grandfather had a full head of hair, then what is the chance that I will be afflicted by male pattern baldness?

fluxrad
04-28-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, fluxrad, if my mother's father has a full head of hair, and my mother's maternal grandfather had a full head of hair, then what is the chance that I will be afflicted by male pattern baldness?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your father has the gene, then I'm guessing it's like 1/4. You'd have to read up on gene expression though, since I read something about it having an effect on baldness passed down by the father.

MicroBob
04-28-2005, 02:07 AM
I don't care about the gene-stuff...nor do I care whether Bruce Willis is more attractive because he has money.

All i know is that I miss my hair.
Sigh.

I more than make up for it on my chest, arms, legs and even my back.
SEXY!!!

Lazymeatball
04-28-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How someone accept the concept that male pattern baldness is passed on from your mothers side of the family, and then start trying to draw conclusions from your mothers father is pure lunacy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

Male pattern baldness is a recessive gene passed along on the X chromosome. It is, however, activated by the Y chromosome. The reason you look to your mother's father to find out is because your mother has two X chromosomes, one from your grandfather and one from your grandmother. This, of course, means that when you get an X chromosome from your mother and a Y chromosome from your father, you've got a 50/50 chance of inhereting the baldness gene from your mom (i.e. the gene from your grandfather's X chromosome). If your mother's grandfather on her mother's side was also bald...you will almost certainly be bald.

/fluxrad pours out a 40oz.

That's one for me. And one for my homie Gregor Mendel.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying that the statement "The gene for male pattern baldness can only be passed on from your mother" only holds true for men, not women. ok, I'm feeling that 40oz now.

jakethebake
04-28-2005, 01:36 PM
If anyone needs a transplant, I'm pretty sure this guy can help you out...

http://all.snapsoid.com/580/snaps_hairy_man_sleeping.jpg