PDA

View Full Version : Likely dominated AXs in a 3 way unraised pot

jediael
04-26-2005, 11:29 AM
No reads on any player

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ????

My idea: check the turn and raise a bet from UTG+2 to knock out UTG and as a semi-bluff, representing a 3, to maybe push UTG+2 off a better hand if he does indeed have one.

Fat Nicky
04-26-2005, 11:36 AM
check/call the turn. I don't think you need to be too worried about knocking out UTG and paying 2 bets to see this river in a smallish pot would suck.

frank_iii
04-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Why are you concerned with knocking out UTG? If he's drawing slim, I'd rather he come along. This may be weak, but I would probably check/call both turn and river unless the flush came on the river, in which case I'd lead out.

IndieMatty
04-26-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd bet the turn. You have the runner runner frush. And if I remember correctly about 3/6..UTG is not folding any ace, so I doubt a check raise will accomplish anything and you may be WAY behind considering his two smooth calls. This is where you should have reads on players.

crunchy1
04-26-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My idea: check the turn and raise a bet from UTG+2 to knock out UTG and as a semi-bluff, representing a 3, to maybe push UTG+2 off a better hand if he does indeed have one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem highly unlikely that you are going to push UTG+2 off a better hand here. A checkraise will likely push UTG out of the pot - but that's not neccessarily something that helps you.

Lead the turn and collect bets from the other two players. I think you're missing out if (a) the turn gets checked through or (b) UTG+2 bets and your checkraise knocks out UTG. If you're planning on putting 2 bets in on the turn you might as well take a line with a higher probability to get those 2 bets from both players rather than just one.

Fat Nicky
04-26-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the turn. You have the runner runner frush. And if I remember correctly about 3/6..UTG is not folding any ace, so I doubt a check raise will accomplish anything and you may be WAY behind considering his two smooth calls. This is where you should have reads on players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the type of pot to draw and get to showdown UI as cheap as possible?

chief444
04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A better hand is folding here never. I either bet out and call or more likely just check/call. The last thing I'm worried about is knocking out UTG.

Octopus
04-26-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are essentially no draws on the flop (and the one there was got there), so UTG+2 is not likely to be semi-bluffing. He could have a better ace, a medium pocket pair, a 3 or he is bluffing (which seems unlikely). Of those, the ones you are ahead of probably have only 2 outs (although 6 is possible).

If you are behind to UTG+2, knocking out UTG is worth very little. At most one of your flush outs is tainted, and probably none are. Noone is folding a better ace here, so you don't have a good semi-bluff. You would have to fire again on the river, and even then I doubt anyone is going away. Also, the pot is pretty small.

On the other hand, you have a stack of outs if no one has a full house, and even a few more to split the pot with another ace (depending on his side card). I just check-call, but I am not averse to leading out for that reason.

CanKid
04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't like the flop, but since you played it that way, I'm check calling the turn. If the turn was T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or higher, I'd check raise the turn as you look to be free rolling a large portion of the time.

Check/call the turn, if UTG sticks around, lead a flush on the river, if he doesn't, c/r or lead, your preference.

IndieMatty
04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the type of pot to draw and get to showdown UI as cheap as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one way to play. Here's a multitude of reasons why I bet.
He picked up a draw. He has two callers who really shouldn't have a 3. A pocket pair would raise this flop. (maybe some 3/6 donk who limps in with kings "because no one folds anyway"). If he gets raised again he traps utg in for another bet, which would be cool when he hits his flush. He could very well be ahead. Most flop raisers at this level will fear his turn bet and even if he has AT he will not re-raise the turn.

By betting you insure two bets go in when you could be ahead, and the river could make you much better.

Octopus
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he gets raised again he traps utg in for another bet, which would be cool when he hits his flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think getting raised here sucks. It just sucks a little less than if we were heads up.

IndieMatty
04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he gets raised again he traps utg in for another bet, which would be cool when he hits his flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think getting raised here sucks. It just sucks a little less than if we were heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and this is where reads are important. If I was UTG2 you bet your ass you are getting raised on this turn. But I don't think you're average 3/6 dude is going to raise this turn, add the fact that you most likely have a ton of outs (any diamond any ten or higher (splitsville)) I still have to bet this.

Then again, I am no authority, I limit myself to one answer in SS per month.

Best,
Matt