PDA

View Full Version : Top set play

nycplayer
04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
I'd reall appreciate comments on this play (especially what to do after the out-of-turn bet)

Live game $1-2NL, 8 players. I've got $300 - my first hand of the night

I get T/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif in the CO

3 limps, a raise to $12, a call, I am about to call when the (short-stacked) button pushes all in ($68) out of turn.

He's corrected, pulls it back, and I call the $12 (intending to call the $68)

He pushes in, folds around to player to my right (Villain), who calls $68

Flop ($225) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out $100. Villain calls.

Turn (about $225 main / $200 side)
6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I push all in ($132), he calls.

results in white
<font color="white">
He flips up 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the straight,
The button shows A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif
River is no help, and I bust out on the first hand. </font>

nycplayer
04-26-2005, 11:32 AM
should've mentioned that Villain had about $350 in front of him.

StojkeAK
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I think the biggest mistake is the bet on the flop, i think you should of bet more, maybe even just push it. That way he has to pay more to draw to his straight. By only betting 100 he was getting great odds to call with a straight draw, but by pushing all in he's forced to call you with just a high card.

Thats what I think anyway, I might be wrong

jzpiano14
04-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Yeah but after a raiser and two callers this guy puts in another raise, I wouldn't have put in on suited connectors here, maybe high PP. I probably would have bet more into the PFR on the flop or just pushed as stated above, but was a hard hand to put the vilian on.

etgryphon
04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
The problem is the flop bet. You don't have enough chips to make a proper raise. This is a definately a push on flop because it is a pot size bet. You already have at least one person you have to deal with. I am guessing that the villian checked to you.

-Gryph

nycplayer
04-26-2005, 12:04 PM
That's what I thought.
He knew I was going to call the $68, (at a minimum), and he still called it. So I put him on AA-JJ, AK, or AQs. I didn't think he was drawing. And at that point I bet only 100, because I thought I wanted him to call.
After he called the $100, I was sure he was on KK or AA, (or maybe a set of 9s) so I wasn't even concerned with the 6 on the turn.

nycplayer
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
yeah, checked to me. I wans't really worried about the short stack, I figured he was just going in with even the smallest piece of the flop.

etgryphon
04-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Now to take the time with the numbers.

If you push on the flop, you are making the pot ~1.967:1 so he doesn't hav ethe proper odds to call but it is close because the odds are 1:2.2 He might make the call because of the dead money but that would be a +EV move for you. If the villian on the other hand has AA - JJ I think that he is coming along anyway but that gives you a better +EV. He will drop AK-AQ and broadways but I think it will do that anyway to anybet.

-Gryph

fuzzbox
04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Why did you call (intending to call 68) preflop with TT ?
Given that you wanted to do that, why did you not push when the action came back to you preflop (i.e. after the other guy also called 68).
Given that you didnt do either of those, then I think you might as well push the flop.
Given that you didnt push the flop then I lose my stack here also :-).

nycplayer
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
good point. thanks. I had thought about pushing on the flop, and I made the wrong decision, I guess.

nycplayer
04-26-2005, 01:22 PM
I figured if he had a good pair, he would then bet into me on the turn, and I wouldn't have to think about how much he would call. Instead, he checked (trapping me with his made straight), and I went broke.
I should have thought about his call. I expected him to put me all in, or to fold. The call should have alerted me to a draw, but even then I'd be thinking JQs, because he called a $50+ raise pre-flop. I didn't expect 78s.