PDA

View Full Version : Drawing in a huge pot - a Roy Cooke hand

Octopus
04-26-2005, 10:57 AM
This hand is from Roy Cooke's book Real Poker II (which I recommend). He thinks he played it badly. What do you think?

The hijack is a drunk tourist/maniac on a big rush. The rest of the table are mostly grinders, several of whom are on tilt a bit from being sucked out on by the tourist.

Belagio 15/30 (Year played unknown, but it was not in the last few years)

Hero is on the button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
3 limpers and the tourist raises. Hero calls, as do the blinds and all the limpers.

Flop (7 players, 14SB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif
All check to the tourist, tourist bets, Hero raises, everyone calls, tourist 3-bets, Hero calls and all call.

Turn (7 players, 17.5BB): 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
All check to the tourist, tourist bets, Hero calls, 2 folds, UTG raises, 2 calls, tourist 3-bets, Hero calls, UTG 4-bets, all call, Hero calls.

It is on the turn that Roy feels he misplayed. I'm not seeing it. Yes, it is unfortunate that he ended up putting so many bets in, but at each point I do not think he can throw it away even given the possibility that that might happen. (The chances he is against a made boat are not that high, even in this huge field.)

Does anyone think this is a fold at any point?

Fat Nicky
04-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Given the board, I think we can be pretty confident that most of our outs are clean.

May Roy thinks he should have raised the turn???

Harv72b
04-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I think UTG flopped the boat and waited to put his bets in until the turn. But I still can't find a fold against this field & with this big a pot.

Octopus
04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
But couldn't UTG play exactly this way with A3s (or A4s for that matter)?

Octopus
04-26-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. In fact, he describes his first call here as a "crying call".

Fat Nicky
04-26-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. In fact, he describes his first call here as a "crying call".

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting, because i really can't even think about folding in this spot.

Harv72b
04-26-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But couldn't UTG play exactly this way with A3s (or A4s for that matter)?

[/ QUOTE ]

He could do that with A3s, but with such a draw-heavy board and the description of the players at the table, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to wait until one possible draw hits (and another flush draw comes up) to go to war with your trips. A4s is a little more possible in that sense.

I think the main clue is the flop check/coldcall followed by the turn check/raise; this is indicative of a very strong hand that doesn't care what kind of odds his opponents have to draw with overs/gutshots/4-flushes. It would certainly not make sense to trap the field on the turn with a vulnerable hand like trips or even a wheel.

Like I said, though, with the size of the pot, the opponents, and the number of outs Hero has against anything but a made boat, I can't see folding the turn either.

Octopus
04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think UTG flopped the boat and waited to put his bets in until the turn. But I still can't find a fold against this field & with this big a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are, of course, correct. UTG ended up showing 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif and Roy was drawing to one out to win and one out to tie.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't off base. Roy describes his play as "Not very bright and certainly not the type of play that should come from a player with my knowledge and experience." Pretty strong words for what I thought was pretty reasonable play.