PDA

View Full Version : Stud 8 or Better Question

PokerProdigy
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Is Stud/8 as profitable as Omaha/8? Also, what about bankroll requirements for Stud/8 (because they are pretty small for Omaha/8)?

Also, what are some good books for a brand new Stud/8 player (but do NOT just list begginner books, but also some advanced books for after a little bit of playing experience)?

pipes
04-26-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Stud/8 as profitable as Omaha/8? Also, what about bankroll requirements for Stud/8 (because they are pretty small for Omaha/8)?

Also, what are some good books for a brand new Stud/8 player (but do NOT just list begginner books, but also some advanced books for after a little bit of playing experience)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd read the Stud8b SS2 Chapter and then Ray Zee's Hi/Lo book.

I'm not sure, but I'd venture a guess that in general the Omaha8 games are more profitable. People find more excuses to play more hands in that game. Depends on the limits you wish to play though.

Andy B
04-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Ray Zee's book is the only one you'll ever need, whether you're playing $.25/.50 or $40/80.

I find stud/8 more profitable than Omaha/8. I play stud/8 better, and I don't get bored. I can sit in a $1/2 stud/8 game on-line, and I won't play $.50 boredom hands. Much. When I play in my local $20/40 Omaha/8 game with a half-kill, I limp in with $20 and $30 boredom hands from time to time. Still, it's hard to beat a really juicy Omaha/8 game for pure profitability. YMMV

I'm not the guy to ask about bankroll requirements, but they're smaller for stud/8 than for any other game.

pipes
04-26-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But both games are great. My favorite aspect is when you have one half locked up and are freerolling for the other. At times when you have multiple people trapped in the middle, and your draw comes in, its better than sex.

Andy B
04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Ummm, have you ever actually had sex?

Hauser_III
04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At times when you have multiple people trapped in the middle, and your draw comes in, its better than sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to change partners....

pipes
04-26-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, have you ever actually had sex?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course and skirt chasing is one of my favorite hobbies...but poker lasts longer lol

Ray Zee
04-28-2005, 02:52 AM
stud/8 is more fun. more skill needed for maximum profit. but may have less bad players in it than omaha.
as for books read all books if you are capable of weeding out bad advice in some, or you may find out the hard way if you follow like a lemming.

jon_1van
04-28-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course and skirt chasing is one of my favorite hobbies...but poker lasts longer lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I see 2 ways that this can be true :

1. You go after hookers.
2. You are so hideously ugly that no chick can bare to look at you, let alone talk to you.

highfidelity
04-28-2005, 05:57 AM
"At times when you have multiple people trapped in the middle, and your draw comes in, its better than sex."

I read this and for some reason my eyes immediately caught the words "sex" and "multiple people trapped in the middle." Maybe I need to stop browsing the forum in the middle of the night. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pipes
04-28-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see 2 ways that this can be true :

1. You go after hookers.
2. You are so hideously ugly that no chick can bare to look at you, let alone talk to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? lol

This is one of the silliest reponses I've ever seen. That 'poker lasts longer'quote is actually from Positively 5th Street I believe.

To be honest, I'm actually quite good looking. But I'll let the ladies elaborate.

Andy B
04-28-2005, 11:24 AM
The "sex is good, but poker lasts longer," line comes from The Biggest Game in Town by A. Alvarez, which was published in 1983 or so. My longest session of poker was 24 hours, which I've done twice. If you can keep it up for that long, you could have a career in show business.