PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed....

kers
04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
My biggest weakness in tournaments seems to be post-flop play. Mainly winning pots after the flop when its only me and another person seeing the flop. Usually if i check the flop, the other person bets and takes it down. What are somethings i can do to be better at this, and what signs can i look for that the other person is weak and/or missed on the flop??

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Niediam
04-26-2005, 11:06 AM
You can purchase Harrington on Hold'em: Volume 1. Playing on the flop is covered extensively.

Unless you are more concerned about picking up tells - in which case Caro's book on tells is the only serious work I have seen devoted entirely on the subject.

elmitchbo
04-26-2005, 11:17 AM
i second the HoH recommendation. here's some advice straight from the book.

if you raised before the flop you should usually make a continuation bet of about half the pot no matter what cards come on the flop. simply checking gives your opponent a free ticket to steal the pot. if the flop really hits you hard then you have options. you can make a larger bet, maybe a pot size bet, or pull out the check raise.

if you want to know if the flop hit your opponent you have to put some money ou there. if you get reraised or called you have some info to work with. like i said before, if you just check he could bet into you with anything. you need to put a little more pressure on him to make a decision.

to sum it all up, it sounds like you aren't playing aggressively enough.

DireWolf
04-26-2005, 12:43 PM
don't play crappy cards out of position and your problem will be solved.