PDA

View Full Version : Call that crrraaaazzzzyyyy over bet!

canis582
04-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Villian was new to the table and I didnt really notice him too much.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Button ($24.7)</font>
SB ($115.75)
BB ($32.75)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($56.3)</font>
MP ($21.19)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $22.7 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $21.20.

Turn: ($50.15) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($50.15) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50.15

My flop bet was weak on purpose trying to get AJ or A9 to reraise me. When I saw the crazy over bet, I thought two pair for sure; but called anyway. I probobly would have folded to a ten dollar bet, but something reeked. He ended up having J9.

A few hands later the same thing happened to me when I had two pair on a 3 flush flop. I called the new guys all in and gained another mini stack. Topic within the topic: Why do people buy into 50NL with 25? They do it to gambol, so watch for them to dump their stacks.

TheWorstPlayer
04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm glad it worked out for you, but that is a very bad flop bet. Why isn't a raise just as likely to be AQ or AT as it is to be AJ or A9? And what about sets? And if they have a flush draw, you are giving them great odds. And they could easily have a flush+straight draw or flush+gutshot. Very bad flop bet.

canis582
04-26-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad it worked out for you, but that is a very bad flop bet. Why isn't a raise just as likely to be AQ or AT as it is to be AJ or A9? And what about sets? And if they have a flush draw, you are giving them great odds. And they could easily have a flush+straight draw or flush+gutshot. Very bad flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
And thats coming from the worst player. You are probobly right about my flop bet. If they flop a set, then they can stack me. I have a feeling many 2+2ers have folded the best hand to an imaginary set.

Rickyroodido
04-26-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.
Your giving away the initiative. As a preflop raiser you own the pot until someone challenges you, dont induce this with a marginal holding. You dont want to be in this situation.

canis582
04-26-2005, 09:24 AM
I know how to bet the pot, and I generally do it, but since I play one table I pay attention and mix my play up. You are never going to let a player 'hang himself' if you dont give him the rope.

TheWorstPlayer
04-26-2005, 09:44 AM
I am sure that many 2p2ers have folded a winner or two in their careers. That is called playing good poker. If you never fold a winner, you call way too much. If you think that every time someone raises you on this flop, that they have A9 or AJ, you are calling way too much. And most people at SSNL play straightforward enough that you CAN get away when they flop a set. But that is not even the point. The point is that if someone has a flush draw on this flop, they are not making a mistake by calling your weak bet. People may even have the necessary implied odds to call with a gutshot, since you are obviously willing to stack off if they hit.

DoomSlice
04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Why do you have to mix it if up he is new to the table? With that in mind, everyone seems to be flat out pushing with open ended draws and flush draws... I find myself calling with more marginal holdings when the board is draw-heavy.

NatalieR
04-26-2005, 11:53 AM
A funny thing happened yesterday, along similar lines.
Blinds and me (Button) limp in, stacks all about $100.
I held J9 and flop came QT8. SB thought a while, then
chatted "take it" and checked. BB checked. I chatted
"okay, lol" and overbet $50 into the $3 pot. SB thought
for a loooong time, then folded. Turns out he had
an overpair and very nearly called. He would have
outtricked himself with that chat, lol!

the machine
04-26-2005, 12:42 PM
its usually a semi bluff but if a player is very skilled in reading people, which online reading is very hard to do, then he may be making the play knowing you are drawing to 3 outs with ak against his aq. i usually always call