PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Toads

mmbt0ne
04-26-2005, 06:40 AM
Link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1517&e=1&u=/afp/germanytoadsoffbeat)

Exploding toads baffle German experts

BERLIN (AFP) - Hundreds of toads have met a bizarre and sinister end in Germany in recent days, it was reported: they exploded.

According to reports from animal welfare workers and veterinarians as many as a thousand of the amphibians have perished after their bodies swelled to bursting point and their entrails were propelled for up to a metre (three feet).

It is like "a science fiction film", according to Werner Smolnik of a nature protection society in the northern city of Hamburg, where the phenomenon of the exploding toad has been observed.

"You see the animals crawling on the ground, swelling and then exploding."

He said the bodies of the toads expanded to three and a half times their normal size.

"I have never seen such a thing," said veterinarian Otto Horst. So bad has the death toll been that the lake in the Altona district of Hamburg has been dubbed "the pond of death."

Access to it has been sealed off and every night a biologist visits it between 2:00 and 3:00 am, which appears to be peak time for batrachians to go bang.

Explanations include an unknown virus, a fungus that has infected the water, or crows, which in an echo of the Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds", attack the toads, literally scaring them to death.

The Dude
04-26-2005, 06:41 AM
strange

Arnfinn Madsen
04-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Most such stories are fake but this one is true.

[censored]
04-26-2005, 06:45 AM
I have nothing to add but I would like to say I have always been fond of frogs and toads. I used to catch them when I was young and still think they are cool. I can only hope that they stop exploding.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
04-26-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can only hope that they stop exploding.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Blarg
04-26-2005, 07:23 AM
It sounds exactly like what I used to be astounded at growing up on Guam as a kid. Not that it's the same thing, but it sounds so similar. Maybe it really is a virus or some kind?

I used to bike a long way really early on weekend mornings to get to the flea market early, and on the way there, on different stretches of road I would see dozens of toads belly up in the sun, dead, lined up along the side of the road, sometimes on one side, sometimes on both. Some had their guts exploded out, but most actually just had huge bloated stomachs. None were on their bellies; all were on their backs. They weren't rotten and swelled from that, either, but freshly dead that morning. I saw this many, many times, as I used to bike the same route every weekend. I never knew what caused it, or why it both happened to so many at once, or why they all decided to come to the side of the road to die in a line. But I always remembered it because it happened so many times and was so strange.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 09:05 AM
There is an easy solution. Pick them up to releive the swelling.

Shajen
04-26-2005, 09:47 AM
{quote]Access to it has been sealed off and every night a biologist visits it between 2:00 and 3:00 am, which appears to be peak time for batrachians to go bang.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so obvious. The biologist, in the pond, with a firecracker.

What do I win?

emil3000
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can only hope that they stop exploding.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is brilliant. I share your sentiments btw.