PDA

View Full Version : A QQ hand at Foxwoods 4/8

sweetjazz
04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
Villain in this hand is a marginal player. He plays tighter than average (though still too loose), and raises his premium hands preflop. He chases weak draws postflop. I've also seen him raise T8s preflop on the button, so I suspect that he's capable of the occassional tricky play (though I don't think he's good enough to time his tricky plays particularly well). I've overheard him mention to a friend of his that he is trying to win one more stack ($40) so that he can be even for the day. I don't think he's 3-bet a hand yet, though given how passive the table is, he cannot have had too many opportunities.

Anyway, there's one limper, he raises and it's folded to me in the BB. I look down and see Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Easy 3-bet. Limper folds and villain 4-bets. I call.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check, he bets, and I call. Turn is the 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, he bets, and I call, with the intention of check-calling the river. The river is the 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check, and he checks.

Does this look right? Does anybody check-fold the flop? I planned on check-folding if an ace hit, and very possibly if a king fell as well. Anybody have a different river plan, betting out if the board doesn't make the straight? If so, do you fold to a raise?

wrto4556
04-26-2005, 03:00 AM
Put in a few more bets

nothumb
04-26-2005, 03:07 AM
I'd either bet or c/r the turn, and definitely bet that river. Rake is already maxed out and he doesn't have a 9.

NT

sweetjazz
04-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Villain muttered an obscenity and tabled AA.

I guess my main question is this. How seriously do you take a preflop cap in a live game? I've played probably about 1500-2000 hands live, and other than a few clear maniacs (grossly overplaying their hands throughout), I don't think I've seen a preflop cap without a big pocket pair before.

But this is a small sample size, and given how passive most players usually are, there simply haven't been many situations for pre-flop caps. But I do get the impression that most players are unwillingly to cap preflop without a big pocket pair, often aces.

Are people suggesting that I bet out on the turn because he might fear that I have a 7, so I am less likely to get raised here by a bigger PP? Am I folding to a turn raise? I have two outs to the best hand if behind, and four more outs to a split pot, so I barely have odds to draw in that situation.