PDA

View Full Version : Turn Decision

Malachii
04-26-2005, 01:45 AM
Party 25$ NL 10max

This was like my fifth hand at the table, so no reads on Villain. Bison's converter isn't working, but I'll try to make this legible...

Dealt to Hero: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero (25$, MP2) raises 1$
Villain (9.95$) calls 1$
BB calls 1$

3.15$ in pot
Flop comes T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
BB checks
Hero bets 2$
Villain calls 2$
BB folds

Turn comes 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
What's my play here? Check it? Set him all in?

Malachii
04-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Bump. No one's going to humor me with just one reply? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Come on guys, I have feelings too...

Ojo_Rojo
04-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Ok, I'll have a crack...

On the flop, I probably would have bet a bit more like $3, and would hope to be raised all-in by villain.
At his point you would be a favourite against the vast majority of hands he could have.

Failing that, I would put him all in on the turn. Assuming you bet $2 on the flop, the pot stands at $7, leaving the villain with $7.

You probably have at least 15 outs, with the chance he'll fold, or call with a weaker flush/straight draw. All-in here, I'm sure, is the best option.

Ojo_Rojo

swolfe
04-26-2005, 09:47 AM
this a full table? AJs is a limp from MP

the flop bet is fine, but short-stack calling is kind of irritating. if your overcard outs are clean you have 15 outs to improve on the river. i'd check and hope he gives me a free card. otherwise i'd let it go...the implied odds aren't big enough with his stack being so short. i want to win monster pots with my flushes.

Ghazban
04-26-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this a full table? AJs is a limp from MP

the flop bet is fine, but short-stack calling is kind of irritating. if your overcard outs are clean you have 15 outs to improve on the river. i'd check and hope he gives me a free card. otherwise i'd let it go...the implied odds aren't big enough with his stack being so short. i want to win monster pots with my flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Zag
04-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I think swolfe's comment that AJs is a limp from MP on a full table is a little over-simplified. At a very tight table, it is an easy raise. Also, at a very loose and passive table it is a good hand to raise, though you would want stacks to be a lot deeper. But for most full tables of PP$25, I agree with him.

On the flop, you need to consider the stack sizes before you bet. Your bet of 2/3 pot would normally be fine -- I assume that it is the same bet you would make if you had held AT or QQ on that flop. However, in this case, it leaves your opponent with exactly the pot left after he calls. Since he has position, it leaves you in a situation where you are playing for the rest of his stack if you are behind, but he can get away if you are ahead. If your bet were a full pot-sized bet, it would mean that, if he called, it leaves him with $5 for a pot of $9. Because this just about makes him pot committed, it is a lot harder for him to call.

On the other hand, this is PP$25. Imbuing your opponents with this sort of thought process is probably a giant mistake, and this explains why I can never seem to beat these tables, even though I regularly beat the $100 and up tables. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Even though you had only 5 hands at the table, you should at least have a little read on villain -- whether he is wildly overaggressive or not. If he is, then I would consider check-raising the flop all in. You would not mind a check behind, and you are often ahead of hands an over-aggressive player would bet.

Anyway, you got here, and it wasn't an atrocious sequence to do so. At this point I would bet it probably 20%, check-call maybe once in a blue moon (this would have to be a live game where I got a read of weakness), and check-fold the other 79%.