PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey jr trade rumor

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:08 AM
I heard on ESPN radio earlier that the Yankees were talking about some kind of trade involving one of our top minor league prospects(Duncan probably) and Tom Gordon in return for Junior. Griffey denied the rumors, for what it's worth.

I think that this would be an awful deal. Griffey is more washed up than our current center fielder. But think about what damage Griffey could do as a left-handed power hitter in Yankee Stadium, if he ever gets healthy.

I can't imagine Griffey saying no to this trade though. Who wouldn't want to be traded to the Yankees?

Anyone know more about this rumor?

Thanks.

willie
04-26-2005, 01:09 AM
HUGE has been.

[censored]
Does he have some unknown fantastic pitching talent I do not know about?

Dead
A better CF has been on the Yankees to do list since last year. A bullpen arm and an additional starter are ahead of that though.

sublime
04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
i hope the yankees get him. solidify thier standing as the biggest joke in MLB.

Jack of Arcades
04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
When he's been healthy, Griffey's been productive with the bat. His defense isn't exactly what it was, but it's probably better than Bernie. He could take first, too, I guess. He'd be an upgrade.

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
I don't want them to get him.

I wouldn't mind if the Yankees had 3 or 4 crappy re-building years if it meant that they could then build another dynasty.

We need to develop a better farm system, rather than using the league as our farm system(although that has its benefits).

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When he's been healthy, Griffey's been productive with the bat. His defense isn't exactly what it was, but it's probably better than Bernie. He could take first, too, I guess. He'd be an upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, true, but Gordon has been decent on the mound has past couple of games. I don't know if it's worth it.

Alobar
04-26-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who wouldn't want to be traded to the Yankees?

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who wants to make the playoffs

sublime
04-26-2005, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't mind if the Yankees had 3 or 4 crappy re-building years

its virtually impossible for them to 'rebuild'. that roster is stacked with big contracts. unless, if by rebuild you mean spend sub 150mil.

ceyoung
04-26-2005, 01:15 AM
exactly what the yankees need more offense.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
unless, if by rebuild you mean spend sub 150mil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.

We're obviously not resigning Brownie, so that's 16 mil less next year. We're done with Giambi after next year, and we're done with Bernie after this year I think. That's -$45 million after next year.

youtalkfunny
04-26-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When he's been healthy...

[/ QUOTE ]

BwaaaaHaaaaaHaaaa....

Jack of Arcades
04-26-2005, 01:17 AM
It surprises me that people think there's a difference in value between a run earned and a run saved.

Runs earned are much cheaper and worth just as much.

pryor15
04-26-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

any moral person with a basic concept of fair play.

[censored]
04-26-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It surprises me that people think there's a difference in value between a run earned and a run saved.

Runs earned are much cheaper and worth just as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The rumor, if true, has to be because of the Seirra injury combined with The Boss's desire to shake the team up early, which this would do.

Crveballin
04-26-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesusarenque
04-26-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I still vote for Dusty Baker.

istewart
04-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Yes, because it's really "fair" that the Red Sox have like a payroll around $85M more than, say, the Devil Rays.

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

any moral person with a basic concept of fair play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees are operating within the rules of MLB, so please dispense with the "fair play" talk.

It is also ironic that you made this post, considering that you are a fan of the only other team to pay the luxury tax this year.

ceyoung
04-26-2005, 01:26 AM
with jaret wright going down. and with kevin brown headed to the DL at least three times this year. i think they could use another arm.

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think they could use another arm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try three.

Two more starters and another bullpen arm.

andyfox
04-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Precisely the point. The team won 102 games with Bernie in center field last year. I would think shoring up the league's second worst ERA would be a higher priority than adding another has-been hitter.

I wouldn't be suprised, though, if Gordon's on his way out, if not in this deal, than in another. Torre seems to like Sturtze, and Rodriguez or even Karsay might be given a set-up opportunity. None of that, though, will matter much, if Rivera has lost a few inches on his fastball and control.

Jack of Arcades
04-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Sure, but with the uselessness of Tony Womack, Tino Martinez, and Bernie Williams, they could always use another bat.

pryor15
04-26-2005, 01:30 AM
we're just trying to keep up. it's all cause and effect. the only reason our payroll is so high is b/c we have to play you guys 19 times a year and a whole area of the country's happiness depends on winning those games (which is sad, but whatever). anyone who thinks we'd be paying the luxury tax if it weren't for the yankees is deluding themselves.

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:31 AM
The Yankees make lots of teams better

Look at the Tigers this year. Their fans can revenue sharing, specifically the Yankees' revenue, for their improvement.

thegrammarnazi
04-26-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone who thinks we'd be paying the luxury tax if it weren't for the yankees is deluding themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks we'd be paying the luxury tax if it weren't for the Yankees is deluding himself.

istewart
04-26-2005, 01:35 AM
roflmao

sublime
04-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Yes, because it's really "fair" that the Red Sox have like a payroll around $85M more than, say, the Devil Rays.

since i am the one calling the NYY a joke i want to clarify a few things:

1) they yankees are good for baseball. every sport needs a 'villian'.
2) what they do is fine (as in they follow the rules that are in place)

still, thier payroll is enormous. they gap between them and the next team (which btw is a byproduct of the NYY anyways) is like what, 60+ mil? its hilarious the amount of mistakes they have made, and probably WILL make.

you look at othe teams and admire the moves they make and how they manage thier budget, and then at the yankees. thats what i mean by joke.

pryor15
04-26-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees make lots of teams better

Look at the Tigers this year. Their fans can revenue sharing, specifically the Yankees' revenue, for their improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to ask yourself, if it weren't for the yankees, red sox, orioles, et al, escalating the salaries so much in the 90's, would the tigers (or the twins or KC or Pit) need revenue sharing to compete?

there's more benefit from a team like Tampa Bay, who gets the extra $$ all those times the yanks and sox come to town, since those teams have such a big fan base in fla.

i think you'll be hard pressed to find a royals fan who would give back all the revenue sharing $$ for a system where they could have afforded Beltran. or a Pirates fan who wouldn't want Bonds back, even if he can't throw out sid bream.

Dead
04-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Steinbrenner will spend insane amounts of cash to win.

He could just horde it, but he wants to win.

You should respect that.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
our top minor league prospects(Duncan probably)

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees have a farm system? I thought the rest of MLB was the Yankee's farm system? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rick Diesel
04-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Without reading the rest of the replys, I will comment that it is fairly common knowledge that Griffey has said numerous times that he refused to play for the Yankees because of the way Steinbrenner treated him and the other children while his dad was on the Yankees.

mostsmooth
04-26-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine Griffey saying no to this trade though. Who wouldn't want to be traded to the Yankees?

[/ QUOTE ]
griffey jr
hes said it before
has something to do with the way he was treated as a kid when his dad was on the yankees

Voltron87
04-26-2005, 10:00 AM
This is not the trade we need. Sure, a healthy Griffey would be a good successor to Bernie in CF, but obviously we have other priorities right now. I also heard a rumor from Gammons that Clemens has an agreement with the Astros that if they are out of playoff contention he can be traded, and one of the teams Le Rocket would consider is NYY.

Trading away our farm system for Griffey right now would be a classic Steinbrenner move, but I think he is smarter now than in the 80s.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not the trade we need. Sure, a healthy Griffey would be a good successor to Bernie in CF, but obviously we have other priorities right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was one?

CCass
04-26-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not the trade we need. Sure, a healthy Griffey would be a good successor to Bernie in CF, but obviously we have other priorities right now. I also heard a rumor from Gammons that Clemens has an agreement with the Astros that if they are out of playoff contention he can be traded, and one of the teams Le Rocket would consider is NYY.

Trading away our farm system for Griffey right now would be a classic Steinbrenner move, but I think he is smarter now than in the 80s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying that Big Stein is smarter now than in the '80's isn't saying much. An untrained monkey with ADD would have made better moves than Big Stein did in the '80's.

Why all the Griffey hating? He is a lock to be a 1st ballot HOF'er, was voted the best player in the decade of the '90's by his peers, and is healthy this year (for the time being). I think he still has 1 or 2 more good seasons in him.

RogerZBT
04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why all the Griffey hating? He is a lock to be a 1st ballot HOF'er, was voted the best player in the decade of the '90's by his peers, and is healthy this year (for the time being). I think he still has 1 or 2 more good seasons in him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really hate, but the Yankees are already old and injury prone. Adding another older, injury-prone high-priced player would be pretty dumb.

Uston
04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
We're done with Giambi after next year

Yeah, you wish. He's in his fourth year of a seven year contract.

BigD226
04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy... http://espn.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/1019/photo/a_schilling_il.jpg

kerssens
04-26-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Without reading the rest of the replys, I will comment that it is fairly common knowledge that Griffey has said numerous times that he refused to play for the Yankees because of the way Steinbrenner treated him and the other children while his dad was on the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]