PDA

View Full Version : Am I a calling station?/Mike Emery come back to stud

lstream
04-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Beer and I were playing tonight - I think I lasted longer than he did but we both saw the same thing. It's funny that just yesterday there was a thread about how tight the tables were. Well tonight, there was more action at 5/10 than I am even used to at 3/6. Guys were calling everything. I must have played in 25 pots that were >$150. I had straights and flushes sucked out five times, and still managed to make money. Amazing and great fun.

Anyway, I am interested in the reaction to this hand. This one was after sitting around for what felt like forever without playing a hand. At this juncture, play was kind of tight. Calling from that position on third is a bad idea right? Then on fourth, I convinced myself that the queen kicker was a good reason to hang in. Then I got lucky on fifth, and it seems like everything was straight forward after that.

So Mike, with guys like me at 5/10 now and with all the action I was seeing, maybe you should abandon your holdem plan /images/graemlins/cool.gif

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $2 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___folds
Hero: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls___calls

4th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Hero: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___calls

5th Street

Seat 4: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets___calls
Hero: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif___raises

6th Street

Seat 4: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___calls
Hero: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets

River

Seat 4: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___checks___folds
Hero: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets

Jacob_Gilliam
04-26-2005, 01:06 AM
fold 3rd
Check/ fold fourth
Well played from 5th street on.

Andy B
04-26-2005, 01:46 AM
The game would have to be super-passive for me to limp in with that dog on third. The ante is low, so there's no need to get involved with weak hands. The bring-in is a little high, which means that your implied odds are worse than normal. You've got the whole field yet to act. There's no reason to get involved. Having limped, I think you call the completion, but you should definitely be kicking yourself at this juncture.

Having gotten to fourth street, taking one off is OK, I suppose. That Queen may and may not be an over-card to the raiser's pocket pair. Mostly, you need to hit a Four.

Nice catch. And the third man checked and called two cold. Life is good. And you kept your foot on the gas. Next time, I think it would be best not to tempt fate.

Michael Emery
04-26-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So Mike, with guys like me at 5/10 now and with all the action I was seeing, maybe you should abandon your holdem plan

[/ QUOTE ]

You and beer in the same game? Man, I might have to come back to online stud. /images/graemlins/smile.gif The sad fact is the online hold'em players kick our a$$ in terms of winrates. I was just telling beer I just bought a new quad monitor setup and was going to try to 8-12 table hold'em. So far I've been trying and have learned two things 1.)Its not all that easy to multitable that many games. 2.) Like I've always known, hold'em blows. While my winrate is higher multitabling hold'em (I can make a little over $60 hr playing stud) it is hell. I might just have to come back to stud for awhile to get my head strait.

As for your hand, I fold third myself. But since you called I'd bet out on fourth for sure. Remember, "Whenever you plan on calling a bet, it is MUCH better to usually just bet yourself". The rest of the hand looks good. Especially how you caught your 4 on fifth street. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike Emery

lstream
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can make a little over $60 hr playing stud

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you multi-table to achieve that win rate, or are you just at the high stakes tables?

And quad monitors? I thought I was going over the top on monitors - just ordered a 24" Dell widescreen LCD display. Now if you were to get 4 of those, who knows how many tables you could play at once. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Michael Emery
04-26-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you multi-table to achieve that win rate, or are you just at the high stakes tables?

And quad monitors? I thought I was going over the top on monitors - just ordered a 24" Dell widescreen LCD display. Now if you were to get 4 of those, who knows how many tables you could play at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually play 3 games of 5-10 to achieve that winrate. I used to play 20-40 full time a year ago but the game was much diffrent back then, so did Theironchef. And when I say much diffrent I mean much diffrent. Like it used to contain a lineup of nothing but fish and it was possible to make 4K a week in that game. Unfortunately most the fish went broke and got replaced by tighta$$e$. If you look at the 20-40 avg. pot size now it averages around $150, it used to be $300 or so. I think you and beer have the right idea though. From what I've seen 5-10 is the most profitable limit on party stud. You ordered a 24" monitor Stream? WTF, I didnt even know they came that big. Thats like a tv.....and I thought my 19" monitors ruled. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mike Emery

lstream
04-26-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You ordered a 24" monitor Stream? WTF, I didnt even know they came that big. Thats like a tv.....and I thought my 19" monitors ruled.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reward I am giving myself from the winnings. If I am going spend those hours staring at a screen, figured I would do it in style. Anyway, Dell has made these things suprisingly cheap.

BeerMoney
04-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Stream, its pretty important that you get into folding these kinds of hands on 3rd out of position. Now, in this case, there were a lot of dead cards and such behind you, so it wasn't terrible, but these kinds of limps start to get real expensive.

Beer.

lstream
04-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi Beer,

Agreed. Once in a while I can't help myself, but the frequency of the problem is pretty close to zero now. I promise to try and behave myself in the future.

beset7
04-27-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just bought a new quad monitor setup and was going to try to 8-12 table hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

bleh. i think i just threw up in my mouth. flashback... woo. I'm OK now.