PDA

View Full Version : The Almost Legendary ASQ – “John Fox Buys Off a Sandbagger"

Rick Nebiolo
11-13-2002, 05:57 AM
Yesterday “The Almost Legendary ASQ” told me another story from the old Gardena days. John Fox, author or “Play Poker, Quit Work, Sleep till Noon” was quite a character. Without even rereading the entire text (although I am reading the ASQ stories – all of which Art claims are not true), I’m sure somewhere in the dense text John Fox recommends that a player should ”Sit next to players who expose their cards”.

Anyway, John Fox is the dealer in a 5/10 jacks or better to open draw game. There is a $1 ante and if nobody opens the betting, you re-ante and deal again. Everyone passes to John holding two aces and three junk cards. But John Fox, “sitting next to a player who expose his cards,” has already noticed that the opponent on his left had trips. Obviously, this guy was “sandbagging,” hoping someone would open so he could checkraise.

John Fox says to the guy: “I’ll give you $3 if you throw your hand away!”

The guy says “No way!”

John Fox: “Well then I’ll throw my hand away!”

The guy thinks about it a second and says: “I’ll take the $3.”

John tosses the guy $3, opens the betting, the guy folds as promised, and John goes on to win the pot.

I wonder if John paid too much ;-).

Regards,

Rick

scalf
11-13-2002, 08:57 AM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif another classic rick,,but these he players probably won't get it,,,lol,,gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

andyfox
11-13-2002, 12:32 PM
Page 9:

"LOOK FOR PLAYERS WHO EXPOSE CARDS

***Do play with opponents who expose their cards.

In addition to the obvious reason for wanting to play against such an opponent, he (or more likely, she) will probably display a large assortment of other weaknesses. Players who expose their cards should be carefully identified in your notebook, or a speical effort should be made to remember them.

An interesting aside is that once you have mastered card reading, you wil find that these types are so easy to read that you will actually rarely find it necessary to look at their cards!"

-I guess there's a difference between "rarely" and "never."

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Andy (no relation to John Fox)