PDA

View Full Version : 10 mil for a coach?

B00T
04-26-2005, 12:52 AM
From ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2046257

Phil Jackson, who coached the Los Angeles Lakers from 1999-2004 and earned three championship rings in the process, is scheduled to meet with Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles later this week.

The meeting could be seen as a step to Jackson possibly returning to coach the Lakers.

After all, in 2004, Jackson wrote a tell-all book called "The Last Season" about the 2003-04 season in which he characterized Bryant as being difficult to coach. In the book, Jackson wrote that he asked Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak to trade Bryant.

Jackson has already spoken to team owner Jerry Buss and plans to speak with him again soon.

If Buss were to re-hire Jackson, Buss would likely do so only after a new NBA collective bargaining agreement with the players' association is reached. The current CBA expires in July.

The thinking is that if there is some sort of work stoppage this summer that could potentially last for months, the Lakers would not wish to be on the hook to have to pay Jackson during the time he is not actually coaching. Jackson is believed to be seeking an annual contract of around $10 million per season -- well in excess of his previous deal with the Lakers which was for $30 million over five seasons.

What a f'n joke. No coach in the world is worth 10 million. Especially one that thinks he is good because he coaches a team that anyone else could coach and make win.

Give the ball to Jordan, he's the best player in the NBA.

Oh wait, give the ball to Shaq, he's the best player in the league.

Is Phil Jackson the biggest joke and overblown pompous ass in sports history?

Dead
04-26-2005, 12:53 AM
What?

I thought he was going to come coach the Knicks. We need him more.

Dynasty
04-26-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Especially one that thinks he is good because he coaches a team that anyone else could coach and make win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how come neither the (Jordan) Bulls nor the (Shaq/Kobe) Lakers won a championship before Jackson became coach?

The Lakers in particular were having problems.

istewart
04-26-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You, my friend, are an idiot.

Alobar
04-26-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Especially one that thinks he is good because he coaches a team that anyone else could coach and make win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how come neither the (Jordan) Bulls nor the (Shaq/Kobe) Lakers won a championship before Jackson became coach?

The Lakers in particular were having problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly....if you want to win a championship, jackson is worth the $10 mil

Dead
04-26-2005, 12:57 AM
At least he did a good job in creating Star Wars.

eastbay
04-26-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think he may be the best coach in the history of the NBA.

eastbay

Dead
04-26-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think he may be the best coach in the history of the NBA.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that Red Auerbach would have something to say about that.

Second best, I'll give you that.

And let's not forget about Lenny Wilkens.

touchfaith
04-26-2005, 01:07 AM
lol, Phil going back to LA...why the hell would he do something foolish like that? He's not that dumb. The Lakers are done and he's not about to take a rebuild job.

Phil is positioning himself for a return soon.

Look for him to be the next Head Coach and GM of the Cleveland Cavs.

My guess is that they will announce the week of the Finals, or just following.

B00T
04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Demanding 10 mil a year is an absolute joke. Does any coach make over 5 mil a year now?

I am not saying he isnt one of the better coaches of our lifetime but he is not worth 10 million a year.

Answer this if you are in love with Phil. Do you think he can win a championship with the roster of the Lakers now?

Absolutely not.

Edit: Pompous in thinking he is god and that he deserves 10 million a year. I dont think he is not great at what he does, but as the title of my post was regarding getting paid 10 million a year.

If Phil Jackson was the key to a championship, teams would pay $3 mil on their player payroll and 50 million for him.

Bulldog
04-26-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What?

I thought he was going to come coach the Knicks. We need him more.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just doing this to get material for a second book, and to drive up his price for the Knicks. Isiah will offer $12 million if he thinks Phil is going to LA for ten.

ggbman
04-26-2005, 09:53 AM
I think it's all relative here. There are players making $20 million and more per year who have never made it to the NBA finals, so if a coach has that kind of impact, asking that kind of money is perfectly within reason.

xadrez
04-26-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget Lenny Wilkins has LOST more games than any other coach as well as having the most wins.

Hes going to be coaching Lebron in Cleveland. This is a no-brainer.

And Dead, Phil Jackson is never, ever, coming to the Knicks.

purnell
04-26-2005, 10:50 AM
He's worth whatever he can get on the open market. Don'cha just love the entertainment bizzle? Basketball... for money. Beautifizzle.

The Yugoslavian
04-26-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I thought he was going to come coach the Knicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahhahahahahahahahahhaha....

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha....

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
04-26-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please refer to my previous post....I'm too tired from all this laughing to type it all out again.

Yugoslav