PDA

View Full Version : iPod mini question

stankybank
04-25-2005, 11:00 PM
I tried searching through google for this but couldn't find enough information so I thought some of you guys might know this.

I recently bought my iPod and didn't realize that I shouldn't disconnect my iPod from my computer until I ejected it. I didn't even know there was an eject button on iTunes until later. Even though my iPod said "Do Not Disconnect", I did so, although I always did so whenever I wasn't transporting/importing/updating my iPod.

I've read that disconnecting the iPod without ejecting it can corrupt the hard drive or files. Anybody experience any problems doing what I've been doing? I'm assuming my warranty through Best Buy covers this if there is a problem, right?

mcb
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
I did this to a friends ipod. He flipped out and told me that ruins the ipod and I'm getting him a new one if it broke. The thing ended up working just fine.

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-25-2005, 11:39 PM
With all the idiots they market this thing to, you'd think they'd at least have the courtesy/foresight to make it somewhat idiot-proof. Although, I've learned that you can't necessarily make these assumptions. I think you're okay, but not guaranteed to be.

Evan
04-25-2005, 11:39 PM
I've had an iPod for about a year and a half, I've proabbly used that eject button about 7 times.

edtost
04-26-2005, 12:47 AM
its the same idea as shutting down a computer rather than just turning off power - it likely won't make a difference but is probably worth it just in case.

mason55
04-26-2005, 01:43 AM
It probably won't [censored] anything up. However, I [censored] up one of mine. All you have to do is reset, it's just annoying. Now I use the eject button cause there's really no reason not to.

stabn
04-26-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It probably won't [censored] anything up. However, I [censored] up one of mine. All you have to do is reset, it's just annoying. Now I use the eject button cause there's really no reason not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the most likely problem is simple file corruption which would most likely require a format and you'd lose your data. Not a huge deal, unless you have like 3k songs on there and are pissed you have to reload but it would be your own damn fault. The warning is so you know it's your own damn fault if it happens.