PDA

View Full Version : how do i max this?

darker_days
04-25-2005, 10:55 PM
I've been stuck in this position a few times. Given my position to the preflop raiser i couldn't see anyway of getting more out of this without scaring people off. i was half thinking of 3 betting the flop, but thought i would wait and see what happened on the turn/river.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (14 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Harv72b
04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
I overthink myself into situations like this, too. It's easy to do when the hand is going on. What I (and you, here) fail to consider is that you don't know what the other players are holding.

SB may have caught a set of tens on the flop. He'll play back at you if you raise immediately. If the K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif is out there, he's probably not folding for 2 SBs on the flop, and possibly not for 2 BBs on the turn. Same goes for the Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

You also have to think about the deceptive power of not slowplaying your flopped nut flush. If you immediately raise, your opponents are going to put you on a TP type hand, maybe top 2 with T9. But when you do something kooky like call/3-bet, that lets the cat out of the bag. And if you are up against something like a set and/or overpair, your action against those hands is likely to dry up considerably if the 4th diamond hits the board.

So you're almost always better off just getting in as many raises as you can before they start calling you down. Especially with so many people in the hand (and many other potential draws to 2nd-best hands).

SackUp
04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I might pop the river here. It looks like you are playing the scare card and not you flush. More often than not, one or both of the players after you are folding this river even for one bet and sb is calling. You make a bet if one or both guys after you call and you might not even be losing one if both fold and sb calls.

iluzion
04-25-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm raising the turn and capping if 3 bet. If he still leads taht river I think I'm calling out of fear, but maybe thats the downswing talking.