PDA

View Full Version : Answer or don’t

11-13-2002, 01:17 AM
I used to post on this forum under a registered name. I am sure the admins of this site can “out” me if they want to. I decided to revert to “Anon” posts for various reasons.

One reason is sheer frustration because rarely was the heart of my post addressed. Part of this is my fault, not stating the question clearly enough or not emphasizing enough. But, hard as I have tried to correct that, the problem remains. I often get the feeling that “some” posters are responding just to improve their “numbers”.

O well, I must sound like a raver now. It’s just this; don’t respond if you can’t/won’t offer something in the way of help.

Good bye

Jimbo
11-13-2002, 01:25 AM
C'mon David Sklansky come back and post under your own name again. We promise to take you seriously! Well that gives me number 634!! WooHoo!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Jimbo

Dynasty
11-13-2002, 01:41 AM
Jimbo,

How did you get so many posts? 637! I'm just barely holding onto my lead. Still, neither one of us can possibly keep up with Anonymous.

Seriously, this comment by Mr. Anonymous

don’t respond if you can’t/won’t offer something in the way of help.

has been stated many times in different forms. Usually, it seems to be made by posters who can't handle their opinions being openly criticized. They don't think it's helpful to be told by others that they think the poster bungled a hand or are thinking about a particular issue the wrong way. Instead, the comments are considered flames or personal attacks. They'll usually respond in a way which really is a personal attack rather than presenting their counter-arguements.

Or, it's because somebody was interested in a part of the original post which wasn't the main focus. There are posters who will say things like "Please don't criticize my pre-flop limp with 96o. I just want to know what you think of my river raise". Of course, posters are going to comment on all facets of the hand, especially an obviously poor pre-flop decision.

There is a class of poster who just can't handle being criticized.

11-13-2002, 01:02 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif dynasty u r a [censored] faget. u r worthless and u suck at poker. yet you sure can shovel away all those fries.

11-13-2002, 02:35 PM
Your response to my post is at least partial proof of my point.

There is a class of poster who just can't handle being criticized.

Where in my post did I mention having a problem with criticism?

Since I'm not willing to expose myself by revealing the posts that I'm frustrated about, I'll just shut up.

B-Man
11-13-2002, 03:54 PM
That kind of garbage has no place on this site. You are probably one of those players who blames the dealer when you lose a hand. It is not surprising that you post anonymously.

AceHigh
11-14-2002, 07:41 PM
"because rarely was the heart of my post addressed"

Since you don't give a name if will be hard to give specific feedback.

Have you been responding to the responses you have gotten? I think a very important part of the process is a give and take between poster and answerer. You really need to respond to the feedback you are given. It can't just be a passive process where you ask a question, get an answer and move on. Make sure you understand why the answer is correct, that is usually more important than what the correct answer is.
/forums/images/icons/confused.gif