PDA

View Full Version : A Classic Debate---(Sound Familiar;-) ? )

MMMMMM
04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
"SEAN HANNITY, HOST: Now, I want to warn everybody out there. We're going to show you some video in this segment that is graphically violent. And if you have young children in the audience, we're giving you fair warning, we don't want you to watch it, OK? Three, two, one, all right?

The video comes from two DVDs that are coming out in May. It's called, quote, "Ghetto Fights 2" and "Wildest Street Brawls 3." Now, the company releasing the videos — Fall Thru Entertainment (search) — they brag that they showcase, "pimp beatings, gang warfare, backyard brawls and female slug-outs all caught on tape."

And they say that they've sold over half-a-million copies of earlier versions. Now some of the footage, by the way, is so graphic, including an unconscious man having his bloody face stomped on, we can't show that to you.

Fall Thru Entertainment's president — they said they wanted to come on "Hannity & Colmes." But they're worried about being on camera due to death threats.

So joining us now instead is "Ben" who works with the producers on marketing and selling DVDs. He also says he does not want to use his last name due to death threats that he has received. And joining us is "Paris," a rap artist, who sees nothing wrong with making money off this stuff.

You don't mind this, Paris, at all? You don't think this is selling the lowest-common denominator?

PARIS: Yes, actually I do believe that there is something wrong with it and this is not something that I agree with. I do agree, however, with his right to do it, you know?

HANNITY: I'm not questioning that. But I'm questioning why would anyone do this for money?

PARIS: Listen to me. I agree with you on moral grounds, if that's what you're asking. I didn't come on this to be in opposition to your point-of-view, because I actually do agree with you in that regard.

HANNITY: Well, I'm glad you do. I appreciate that.

PARIS: But understand that the entire industry, the entertainment industry in general, has a habit of doing this and has a habit of profiting off of minority communities, all for profiting. FOX — your parent organization — for example, is guilty of exactly the same thing.

HANNITY: With what?

PARIS: With shows like "Cops," "Nip/Tuck."

HANNITY: It's not the same thing.

PARIS: Oh, please. Come on.

HANNITY: I watch "Cops." "Cops" is nowhere near this.

PARIS: "Cops" is graphic...

(CROSSTALK)

HANNITY: Hang on a second.

PARIS: But understand that I'm not agreeing with this. OK, let me put that out there. I'm not agreeing with this.

HANNITY: Paris, hang on a second. I want to bring the other guy in here.

Ben, I want to ask you. You are making the money off just the misery and the decay of society. Why would you want to make your money this way?

BEN, GHETTO FIGHTS CONSULTANT: Well, first, let me say we don't specifically target the urban community. Footage is submitted to us from all over the nation.

HANNITY: Do you put on your thing, "pimp beatings, gang warfare," do you call this "Ghetto Fights 2" or not?

(CROSSTALK)

PARIS: The Iraq war (search) is the ultimate pimp beating.

(CROSSTALK)

HANNITY: Well, you call it "Ghetto Fights 2," "pimp beatings, gang warfare, backyards brawls." Those are your words, not mine.

(CROSSTALK)

BEN: That's whatever is depicted on these videos.

(CROSSTALK)

ALAN COLMES, CO-HOST: That's a racist connotation. And you know it. You know that there's a racist connotation, Ben. And when you say "Ghetto Fights," that sounds extremely racist. This is how you want to portray the African-American community?

BEN: That is not how I want to portray the African-American community. This is what is happening on the streets of America every night. And we live in an open-market society and a function of that is...

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: I'd like to know, when you talk about beating people unconscious, and stomping on people, and kicking them, how exactly is that entertainment?

BEN: It's not entertainment to me, but there is...

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: You're marketing it as entertainment. Your company is called Fall Thru Entertainment. So you're just contradicting yourself.

(CROSSTALK)

BEN: It is entertainment for some people. And there is a demand for it. And just supply that demand.

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: You're selling it as entertainment, so don't back off it now. You're just contradicting yourself.

(CROSSTALK)

PARIS: FOX News' non-stop terror coverage of the Iraq war is the ultimate...

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: I want to point out to you about "Cops" on FOX. "Cops" is a morality play. "Cops" actually has people being arrested for this kind of behavior. It's a little different than this.

(CROSSTALK)

PARIS: A morality play? Now, wait a minute. Wait a minute.

BEN: It's the same as "Cops," but the cops haven't arrived yet.

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: No, they come and arrest the people who do this. That doesn't happen on your videotape.

(CROSSTALK)

BEN: People have been arrested from our footage.

(CROSSTALK)

PARIS: Did you just say that "Cops" is a morality play?

COLMES: Yes, it is, because people who do this kind of behavior are literally arrested on camera for what they do.

(CROSSTALK)

PARIS: OK. And who is the person that maintains the morality standard? Who is the judge?

COLMES: Well, the show is called "Cops," by the way.

But let me ask you this, Ben. Would you sell a snuff film?

PARIS: No, I know that. What is that supposed to mean?

COLMES: Ben, I had a question. Would you sell a snuff film?

BEN: No, I would not.

COLMES: So where do you draw the line?

BEN: A snuff film is someone being murdered.

COLMES: All right. So you just beat up somebody up bloody and unconscious, and that's where you draw the line?

BEN: I'm not beating up anybody. These people are responsible for their own actions.

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: All right. So a snuff film, if somebody gets killed, wouldn't that be the same answer?

BEN: No, it wouldn't.

PARIS: You know what is a trip?

COLMES: No, I'm just saying you're taking no responsibility for this. You're saying they're responsible for their own actions. Then why wouldn't you sell a snuff film if people are killing people on tape?

PARIS: Is this Alan again?

COLMES: Yes.

PARIS: Alan, realize that this is indicative of the entire entertainment industry right now.

COLMES: You are not answering my question.

PARIS: This isn't Ben. This is Paris.

COLMES: I know. But I understand the question.

PARIS: Especially in hip-hop. I mean, it's amazing how many journalistic resources are assigned to something like this, and Michael Jackson, and Kobe Bryant and Laci Peterson, and everything. But you don't talk about illegal wars.

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: You're totally avoiding our questions, by the way.

PARIS: You don't talk about weapons of mass destruction. You don't talk about stolen votes. You don't talk about all of these things that occur.

HANNITY: Hey, Paris, let me educate you, Paris. Three thousand Americans were killed. We're at war to protect this maybe. And maybe you if watch FOX News a little more, you might learn something.

(CROSSTALK)

PARIS: And that's exactly the problem. Maybe if you and your viewers read a little more, that's the problem right there.

(CROSSTALK)

HANNITY: That is a problem that you don't get it. You don't understand it.

PARIS: No, you don't read."
link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154532,00.html)

sirio11
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the link. I think is an interesting debate.

I actually was impressed with this guy Paris.

Is it just me or Alan Colmes is so pathetic?

Zygote
04-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I think Ben and Paris were out-debated, even though i still happen to agree with their position.

To stay consistent with capitalistic philosophies in a capatilistic society (america), this video must be allowed.

Also, don't forget, all pro poker players profit of the misery of others in a much more direct way than the producers of this video.

Zygote
04-25-2005, 11:30 PM
what is your position, MMMMMMM?

[censored]
04-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Sure it can be allowed but what is also allowed it the questioning and shaming of those reponsible for making it. Too often the creators of morally questionable material try to hide behind the cloak of "free speech" believing that having the right to make something grants some type of immunity from society's scorn and admonishment. It doesn't, and the light of public scruntiny will always be superior and more effective than censorship.

Dead
04-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Where can I buy the DVDs?

BCPVP
04-26-2005, 12:02 AM
This is why I don't watch FOXNews after 7. It's just a shouting contest. If I wanted to see two apes shout at people, I'd go to the zoo.

I do agree with Paris that I think it's disgusting, but the producers should be allowed to sell the videos. On his other tangents about Iraq and 'Cops', I think he's a nutjob.

You can turn Colmes's question around and ask him where the line should be drawn, since we already allow videos (and Pay per views) of WWE and UFC. Those are also graphic, yet we allow their sale. I'd rather err on the side of having less gov't interference in this type of thing.

andyfox
04-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Interesting that Hannity and Colmes were on the same side of the debate.

Dead
04-26-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting that Hannity and Colmes were on the same side of the debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

They are on the same side of the debate about 75% of the time. Colmes is one of the token liberals on Fox. He gets paid millions to be a sycophant to Hannity.

slickpoppa
04-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Colmes:Hannity as Smoothcall:Vince Lepore

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Elaborate please. Who's smoothcall?

slickpoppa
04-26-2005, 01:35 AM
If you are not kidding:
Paul Phillips and Vince Lepore got into a debate about a WPT hand. Vince was arguing that PP's correct play was to call, wheareas PP raised all-in. Then a new guy named Smoothcall joined the thread and agreed with Vince. Ever since Smoothcall has been accused of being Vince Lepore. Apparently Smoothcall even signed one of his posts with "Vince."

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:40 AM
That is awesome. But Smoothcall registered like 1.5 yrs ago. Doesn't that make it less likely that Vince just made an account to do this?

Daliman
04-26-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That is awesome. But Smoothcall registered like 1.5 yrs ago. Doesn't that make it less likely that Vince just made an account to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This should just about bring you up to speed...

http://extempore.livejournal.com/85452.html

Dead
04-26-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This should just about bring you up to speed...

http://extempore.livejournal.com/85452.html

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome.

It's like when the CW-Sophia-Lansing-PuppyKicker-Matador ring was cracked.

player24
04-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Last night on Hannity and Colmes they had Al Sharpton on and they discussed these videos (apparently for the second time). Reverend Sharpton was very critical of the videos and referred to them as "racist" videos. (Some of the fights depicted in the video are between blacks and others are between whites.) When pressed, Reverend Al had a hard time explaining why the video should be viewed as racist, but he appeared to be critical of the use of the word "ghetto" (as if that word constituted a blanket reference to black people).

I don't have a transcript, but I assume one is available (given that there was a transcript posted on the April 22 show).

The Dude
04-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Everything is racism to Al Sharpton. That whole argument is nonsense. These vidoes have nothing to do with race - they're about uncensored brutality, and they'll tack on whatever name to 'em that'll sell.

Non_Comformist
04-26-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everything is racism to Al Sharpton. That whole argument is nonsense. These vidoes have nothing to do with race - they're about uncensored brutality, and they'll tack on whatever name to 'em that'll sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think they would have been made and sold if it was only white people from the suberbs? It it pretty clear to me that race is playing a big factor here. However the black community itself, by embracing gangster rap and idolizing the "thug" image owns much of the responsibility.

tolbiny
04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
"You really think they would have been made and sold if it was only white people from the suberbs? It it pretty clear to me that race is playing a big factor here."

Essentially any video with violence in will sell, that has little to do with the races involved. The WWE make a living off of what is mostly white guys beating on each other, marketed to a mostly white audience.

There is still alot of racism in this country, and a lot of problems stemming from it. But turn on the histroy channel and odds are you see a bombing raid of world war 2, or engineering disasters 16. This stuff sells to almost any ethnicity, generation or sex.

bholdr
04-26-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really think they would have been made and sold if it was only white people from the suberbs? It it pretty clear to me that race is playing a big factor here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. backyard wrestling videos, for example, are mostly composed of suburban white kids fighting. they sell like crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
However the black community itself, by embracing gangster rap and idolizing the "thug" image owns much of the responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

BZZZZT! it's the people that BUY this stuff that 'own the responsibility' for perpetuating and reinforcing innaccurate racist strerotypes, and those people are mostly... dumb white kids, buying-in to the drama and romance (yes, romance) of popular culture. FOX is a major contributor, reinforcing amnd promoting the consumption of human pain and suffering with shows like 'cops' and 'when [insert anything here] attacks/ goes wrong, etc', but even FOX isn't really to blame, they're just giving the people what they want (though they are creating that demand through aggressive advertisong, etc)

it's silly to think that people won't sell something legal and profitable on moral grounds. it's not quite as far-fetched to ask people not to consume something on moral grounds.

neither will ever happen, however.

Dead
04-26-2005, 05:00 PM
That's ridiculous to insinuate that I am responsible for this if I buy it.

tolbiny
04-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Its ridiculous to pretend that you aren't. You are the one funneling money into their organizations. It is u to the consumers, if there is a product on the market that you don't like, don't buy it. Organize a boycott. But it most certainly should not be banned just cause you don't like it.

Dead
04-26-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it most certainly should not be banned just cause you don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did I ever say that I wanted it banned? I certainly don't.

natedogg
04-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Hannity is a complete idiot. And he's completely inconsistent, which goes with the territory of being a blowhard moron who does little more than unthinkingly spout party lines but still... pretty unforgable .

natedogg