PDA

View Full Version : Question for students

handsome
04-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Do your parents know you play poker? What do they think? How did you go about telling them?

Just curious because I dunno how well my parents would take it if I told them

istewart
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Yes.

tbach24
04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Meh, they got used to the idea when my brother was getting weekly 3-figure checks. My mom didn't like it at first (I was 13 and my bro 15 when we started)

jason_t
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do your parents know you play poker? What do they think? How did you go about telling them?

Just curious because I dunno how well my parents would take it if I told them

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first started playing, I didn't tell them. I waited until I was sure that I wasn't a losing player and told them after I had demonstrated success. I also demonstrated that I was using my winnings responsibly by using my first 10k in winnings to pay off a new car loan. They were leery at first since one of my mom's brothers wasted his 200k inheritance from my grandfather on gambling but now they are accepting.

istewart
04-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Hopefully your parents would disown you if they knew you what you thought about Bilson.

GrekeHaus
04-25-2005, 10:37 PM
My parents aren't crazy about gambling, but they know I do it and are ok with it. The most important thing is to demonstrate that you're a responsible gambler, and won't let it destroy your life.

The Yugoslavian
04-25-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
won't let it destroy your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, your life was amazing before you started playing poker. Ever since I have secretly felt really really sorry for you /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I mean...how many dates have you been on since you've played poker??

I rest my case, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

purnell
04-25-2005, 10:44 PM
It's been a long time since I was officially a "student" (which I take from your context to be a young person who is dependent upon his parents for support), but let's look at this as poker players.

1) If you tell them (bet), will they raise? (Cut off support, etc.) If so, don't tell them and consider quitting until you can play with your own money.

2) If you bet, will they call (simply accept it, maybe grudgingly, but not cut you off)? If so, this is the best option.

2) If you check and call (never mention it but plan to answer truthfully if asked), then you might as well bet it out.

3) If you check and fold (lie if asked), then they get no knowledge of your hand, but may still suspect, and you can be sure of getting more call-downs and river raises in the future.

handsome
04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's been a long time since I was officially a "student" (which I take from your context to be a young person who is dependent upon his parents for support), but let's look at this as poker players.

1) If you tell them (bet), will they raise? (Cut off support, etc.) If so, don't tell them and consider quitting until you can play with your own money.

2) If you bet, will they call (simply accept it, maybe grudgingly, but not cut you off)? If so, this is the best option.

2) If you check and call (never mention it but plan to answer truthfully if asked), then you might as well bet it out.

3) If you check and fold (lie if asked), then they get no knowledge of your hand, but may still suspect, and you can be sure of getting more call-downs and river raises in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet (told them), the most likely action they would take is raise (force me to stop playing). My mom has been giving me money for my entire college career and she finds it strange that I don't ask her for money anymore. I think I may have to bluff this one out and tell her I've been doing some work on the side

istewart
04-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Nicely done. I laughed, too.

girgy44
04-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I told them and they hate it, but accept it kind of(they wouldn't let me play at home last summer.) This summer I will be playing "pro" in my own apt. with a couple other good players, but I haven't told them about that yet. I think that they are going to be quite pissed, but whatever. Lets hope I run well. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IronDragon1
04-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Nope-they wouldn't be too happy despite being up about 4.5 grand in the past 5 months.

Perseus
04-26-2005, 12:30 AM
I told my parents from day one, and my mom was so interested that she opened an account and now she plays real money party .5/1.

She is not that good, but the last time I talked to her she started the conversation by complaining "I keep losing to stupid people who stay in until the river..."

Ponks
04-26-2005, 12:48 AM
My parents are cool about it. My dad started playing after he heard how well I was doing so I've taught him a lot. He's up like 8k or so far, so he's loving it.

Ponks

TT_fold
04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

KaneKungFu123
04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
or pay her back.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet (told them), the most likely action they would take is raise (force me to stop playing). My mom has been giving me money for my entire college career and she finds it strange that I don't ask her for money anymore. I think I may have to bluff this one out and tell her I've been doing some work on the side

[/ QUOTE ]

manpower
04-26-2005, 12:50 AM
I told them. My mom mildly disaproves. My dad thinks it's the coolest thing ever and asks about my roll almost every time I talk to him.

Of course we've always had a pretty honest relationship.

EliteNinja
04-26-2005, 03:41 AM
I've kept them up to date since day one.
It's cool.

JrJordan
04-26-2005, 03:51 AM
My dad is pretty cool about it and asks on a regular basis how things are going. Mom is okay, but honestly thinks there's a scam involved somewhere with this. The electronic bank account that blinks 15k doesn't mean anything to her until I have it in green bills in front of me.

PokerFink
04-26-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My parents aren't crazy about gambling, but they know I do it and are ok with it. The most important thing is to demonstrate that you're a responsible gambler, and won't let it destroy your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. My parents know that I'm responsible about it, and so they are ok with it. My dad is actually getting into poker (he likes watching on tv).

Things you can say that will help your cause:

1) You don't gamble on other things that are losing propositions.
2) You are a winning player.
3) You aren't blowing your winning on stupid things (alcohol, drugs, videogames etc.), instead you are saving them for later in life.
4) It isn't coming between you and good grades.

I stress these things all the time with my mom, who isn't as accepting as my dad. Even if they are only half true (as #3 is for me), it can still help.