PDA

View Full Version : Thought about this alot

BigSkiRace
04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
How cool would it be to travel, with a laptop and just travel the world playing poker on your laptop while infusing your self in different cultures around the world, and playing poker online in internet cafes, airports, and wherever you get a wireless connection for a few hours a day. I thought about doing this for a summer, would be really sweet....Thoughts

istewart
04-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Your BB/100 drops insanely when Indonesian kids are begging for pennies at your knees during the Jakarta stopover.

pshreck
04-25-2005, 09:36 PM
... when you realize that a downswing can last a month and your money is drying up while you are in the middle of a foreign country, then you may realize that this isnt the best idea for most.

David04
04-25-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your BB/100 drops insanely when Indonesian kids are begging for pennies at your knees during the Jakarta stopover.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I thought only Catholics cared about youth in Asia.

rusellmj
04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
I think Daryn was going to do a micro experiment of this at his local cafe. Maybe he'll report how it went.

Asufiji2004
04-25-2005, 09:43 PM
No way I could possibly fathom spending the money to travel the world, only to sit on my computer and play poker? Sounds like the biggest waste of time and money.

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Tough to seriously multitable on a laptop.

istewart
04-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Clearly he would be playing 100/200 Play Money.

BigSkiRace
04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
I wouldnt play that high probably 4 table 5/10 6 max or something stay in place long enough till I have money for a plane ticket ovbiously I would bring some cash along with a credit card, but to supplement I would play poker every chance I got....Also I once read about a guy that traveled the United States in his Conversion Van playing poker in casions and underground games across the country while traveling....possibly a cool idea.

FishNChips
04-26-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tough to seriously multitable on a laptop

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the 3rd post today that I've agreed with Jake.. what does that say about me?

i hate having only a laptop!

fishnchips

tolbiny
04-26-2005, 05:08 AM
Three tabling is easy on my 17" screen laptop. 4 is doable. If you are a decent 5-10 sh player you could should be able to put in 1000 hands a day, at 1.5 bb/100 that could keep your "endless summer" going for a long time provided youcould ride out the cold streaks, which i really think would be the biggest problem.

Jack of Arcades
04-26-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding? on my dell 8600 I can do 4 with no overlap and 6 with some overlap.

IlliniRyRy
04-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm so glad someone else is interested in this idea. I'd absolutely love to do something like this. I have 60k in the bank and I beat the 5/10 SH for about 2bb/100, and I'm actually close to getting fired from my job, and I have absolutely no other obligations or liabilities here, so I was thinking of traveling around and playing on my laptop. Maybe I'll start some kind of journal about it if I actually go ahead with it.

daryn
04-26-2005, 11:34 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
How cool would it be to travel, with a laptop and just travel the world playing poker on your laptop while infusing your self in different cultures around the world, and playing poker online in internet cafes, airports, and wherever you get a wireless connection for a few hours a day. I thought about doing this for a summer, would be really sweet....Thoughts

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a really good idea. i have thought of it no doubt. i have kind of been doing this, but not to the extreme. i have just been going to europe a lot lately.

daryn
04-26-2005, 11:35 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

4 tables is rather easy.

daryn
04-26-2005, 11:35 PM
I think Daryn was going to do a micro experiment of this at his local cafe. Maybe he'll report how it went.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. just got back from europe and i already have a place picked out. it's kind of a wrap/burrito joint. www.thewrap.com (http://www.thewrap.com)

daryn
04-26-2005, 11:36 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding? on my dell 8600 I can do 4 with no overlap and 6 with some overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the same computer, but evidently i have the worse monitor because i can't do 4 with no overlap, but i really don't mind the overlap.

scotty34
04-26-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No way I could possibly fathom spending the money to travel the world, only to sit on my computer and play poker? Sounds like the biggest waste of time and money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I see what you are saying, I think you have it backwards. I think what the OP meant is that you travel the world, and pay for it all just by playing poker for a few hours out of your day.

I really think this would be amazing, but variance scares me. I don't want to be stuck in the Phillipines with no ticket home.

jakethebake
04-26-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to be stuck in the Phillipines with no ticket home.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a story.

A Marine buddy of mine went home from Okinawa on leave. He found out his Filipino girlfriend back in Arizona had maxed out all his credit cards and sold his truck so he did the obvious thing and married the dumb slut.

Anyway, he brings her back to Okinawa with him. They were there like 2 weeks before the bitch is driving him nuts and spending all his money. It turns out she hadn't been home to see her family in like 10 years and it's just a short hop on a military transport plane so he asks her if she wants to go home for a visit.

Anyway, at the departure gate he swipes her wallet with all her money and ID. So she arrives in the PI with ni ID or money. Everytime she'd try to call him collect, he'd tell the perator, "Who? Never heard of her." She finally found a way back to Oki and he was like, "Honest, Honey. I've been trying to figure out how to get you back here all this time." They've been married like 15 years now and have 4 kids, but damn that was funny [censored] at the time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
04-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Ah man, you've hit on a petpeeve of mine.

I don't know how many times I had to drag buddies away from soul-sucking whores looking for a 1 way ticket to "the big PX" in America.

These guys were so stupid.

Glad it worked out for your buddy, but 99% of the time it doesn't.

So bad watching the Westpac widows come out when their men went on float.

When I went on float, half my unit was married. By the time I got out, 2 of the 14 guys who I went on float with were still married. Crazy.